How good are Ultra HD curved TVs for gaming? Any recommendations for one?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by MonkeyBoyJoey, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

This is the problem with technology, it's pratically impossible to catch on. Yet, some people try.

It gets worse when companies try to dump new marketing strategies to sell stuff and people fall for it. I remember when they started pushing 3D TVs and a lot of my friends sold their perfectly fine HDTVs just to have the 3D feature. Then they realized they would need a 3D Blu-ray player as well. Today, all of them regret spending the money on something they barely used. But they are already falling for the idea of curved TVs and / or 4K... even when there's no 4K content available.

But this is a country were people still watch SD content on HDTVs, even when the channel is available for free on HD as well. And when you point that to them, they act like you're being rude!
    During the world cup, a famous tv presenter had a feature on her show, where she invited some brazilian celebrities and friends to her home to watch the matches. In one of the shots, a huge 4K TV appearared and showed a stretched 4:3 SD image of the match!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  2. King_of_PS

King_of_PS Site Supporter 2015

THIS ^^
    It must happen everywhere. Here in the UK, I went round an acquaintance's house and noticed an hd satellite box connected to an hd TV with a scart cable lol. And then they say they don't notice their expensive new TV giving a better picture.....

3. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

Constantly happens in the US too. I'm always being told at work that their TVs in the house don't look as good as they do in my showroom (I've also been accused of having a DIFFERENT model on display, a model specifically for demo that is better than the one they're being sold). I usually ask if they have HD with their provider...nope. And of course, they're still watching DVD with composite cables as well!

There's plenty of 4K content out there...it's just not on TV and is on the internet instead. But this is always the case - look at HDTV for example. We had 720P TV and even 1080P TVs before there was blu-ray!

My main thing against the whole "But there isn't even 4K content on TV yet!" argument is that HD cable still comes in at 1080i, so if you have a 1080P TV and that's your main thing against 4K you're being very hypocritical considering there is plenty of 4K movies/shows for streaming.

4. Kyoto

Kyoto Active Member

4K only really benefits a small portion of PC gaming, people will have moved on to fancy 4K mobile phone displays before tv broadcasts go 4K, and by then most people won't be interested in television anymore.

TV/Monitors are always best to buy last for a gaming room, they always drop price faster than consoles and games. Don't go for curved displays or buy into 4K just yet. In the meantime go for something that is 120hz (which is usually 3D too), 60fps on a smaller display still looks better than 30fps on a large display. Buying a $250 screen now then a $400 4K screen in 3 years is better than buying a $1200 4K screen now that will drop to $400 in 3 years, it's still early for 4K and there are plenty of games you can spend your money on ;)

5. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

Of course, in order to have 4k streaming content, you need internet that's leagues faster than most places in the US provide. At least we have HD for most of our channels available.

6. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Let's not forget there's not even a standard for 4K TVs yet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution#Resolutions

And what seems to be a global trend, a lot people are still happy with DVD quality. I don't have any problem with 4K, it just seems that rushing it it's a pointless attempt to forget the 3D fail.

Honestly i would be more interested with a 1080p TV with lots of inputs, something like 8 HDMI, better S-Video / RGB / Component content upscaler and image options, easier SMARTV customization / app creation,...

7. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I think the TV companies are pushing out all these gimmicks because they really loved when everyone bought a new TV when the HDTV revolution happened, at least in the States. Everyone bought at least one new TV between say 2008-12, so now they want everyone to feel like they "need" a new TV again.

8. Rogue

Rogue Intrepid Member

Sadly, there's not how it works. People don't go after the right cables since the S-Video, people will not pursue the content just because "there's plenty somewhere, just use your favorite search engine".

"The content is not available" is a true statement.

9. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

480i, 576i, 240p and 720p all scale better to 2160 lines than 1080.
    Many theaters are currently projecting in 4K, and will probably stay at 4K for a long time.

Those are reasons enough to go 4K. I still wouldn't buy one for another 5 years however since 4K is still very demanding on today's silicon (price, power, heat).

The curve isn't completely a gimmick, it corrects a tiny bit of the perspective distortion for large screens and helps with glare.

10. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

I'm not jumping to conclusions. This is what happened a few months ago when my friend and I tried using the N64 on not one but two 4K smart TVs, it was absolutely crap. Even with fucking around with settings.
    The lack of ports is a very big issue with you want to use more than two systems plugged into a unit.
    Also doesn't shit all to do with me being moderator either, now you're jumping to conclusions. I'm sharing my experiences, it's still up to people on their own to make their own choice with other comments.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  11. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I completely agree with this, especially the upscaler and image options. More ports are also very welcome.

12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

People will listen to your opinion more as you are in a position of power, its just how it works. I have done the admin and mod rounds on many sites. It happens here a lot with assembler and technical threads too, they listen to what he has to say, even when its not correct as its assumed by being the admin here, he knows all the topics (which isnt fair on assembler either, cant know everything). But its how people work.

Anyway, 2 isnt a very good sample size to deem them only good for watching TV (besides, what about modern consoles that use HDMI?)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  13. K405

K405 Site Supporter 2014,2017

Only reason for me to get a curved screen would be for my yet to finish racing/flight simulator rig, 21:9 curved yes please!

Can't top this though:

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015