How do you restore logos on consoles?

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Arkanoid, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Arkanoid

Arkanoid Gutsy Member

I'm talking about things like the red Jaguar logo on the Atari Jaguar or the white SEGA logo on a SEGA Saturn. I'm thinking of creating a stencil in photoshop and then airbrushing it on. Anybody have any ideas?

2. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Reversed transparent sticker maybe?

3. Arkanoid

Arkanoid Gutsy Member

Nah the problem is that you want the logo to be flush with the plastic. Plus the sticker isn't matte.

4. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

Have a small Vinyl sticker made?

5. Metro Spy

Metro Spy <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

You could buy some inkjet decal paper. Print the logo's on it then you cut it out, soak the paper in water to remove the backing and it will stick to the console. I'd advise giving a few clear coats of spray paint afterwards, but the logo does look pretty seamless. I bought a few sheets off eBay a few years ago and have used it with success.

6. angryswede

angryswede Rising Member

That's an interesting solution! Can you please share a pic?

7. Metro Spy

Metro Spy <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Here you go.

Controller 001.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a better pic and this happend to be the first time I was using the decal paper. I think the Griffin came out slightly better because it was printed on transparent paper and therefore was easier to cut out and blended very well with the clear spray paint. The paint job wasn't one of my best and I was planning on re-doing it but ended up lending the pad to someone and never getting it back, so never mind.

I'm redoing the logos on a SNES soon, so will post up the results when it's done.