How do I dig myself out of this hole?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Twimfy, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

I would do it again, but I found that when I returned a lot of friends had moved on and because I couldn't find employment right away I ended up back at my parents, much like the situation I'm in now but that was before the recession had kicked in.

2. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

employers love this shit these days. not only will it get you out of a toxic environment but you'll make new friends (good for getting over your girl and creates friends in your local area) but it's gonna make you more attractive to an employee.

can you talk with BBC/Cooper about doing more soundboards for them?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  3. Twimfy

They've given me free reign to all of their IP's so that's what I'm trying to get done at the moment but there's a lot of red tape and I'm relatively small fish to them at the moment.

4. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Tell social services / the council (is that the brittish version of social services?) that you have an unbearable situation at home and that your relationship with your family is horrible. They treat you bad, they don't feed you and they want you out like litterally in 1 month etc. As long as you're not accusing them of any crime, yet - the situation is indefensible.
    Then you go to social services and you go: my parents hate me and are kicking me out and i hate them too and there's really no solution to it.
    And then back home ask your parents to confirm it. And voila you got yourself an apartment paid for by the government.
    Yes it is something a gypsy would normally do but it's either that or staying like you are now.
    Well anyways that's what alot of people I know have done here in Sweden and I'm pretty sure it's the same system in England.

They (job centers) do have jobs, they always do. But it's like this, if you really want a job you got to be a bit aggressive and you got to be all over them all the time. Because from their point of view - you have all the time in the world yet you visit them once a week? tops? That just goes to show that you're really not that motivated and they won't take the risk of dirtying their personal/professional reputation by referring someone "who doesn't even want to work".
    You have to be there like really every other day, you have to be calling them all the time...

5. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

The problem with council housing is that it can easily lead you into a trap - you get a place worth £400 a month, they pay for it - then you find a job that doesn't quite cover it (with all your other bills), and you're stuck because you won't get benefits anymore if you accept the job. It's the one real downside to benefits - and I remember a lot of people were stuck in this loop.

As mentioned before - teaching overseas (notably in China) you can get your flight paid for you (but usually only on arrival...) - I would recommend PR China, find a good job there and you'll earn as much as you would working in a bar in the UK. There's a shortfall of about a million teachers out there so there's no chance of you being made redundant or the situation suddenly changing. Head for the south east where the weather is hot and you're all set. Save up cash over there, apply for jobs back in the UK over there and return when you've got something to go back to. Unless you're a hermit you'll meet loads of people in the same boat so you won't be alone...

6. Faded

Faded <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

I would think that you would have to have proof in that case, at least here in the United States. I say this because this would be easy for almost anyone who *isn't* in those type of living conditions to cheat the system and thus commit some sort of fraud. I don't know how it works in the UK but I think in the United States, that is considered to be fraud since you'd be flat out lying.

7. Rogue

Rogue Intrepid Member

I remember seeing your video of the ridiculous costume in the kids teather in Korea... It was really funny. =D

I wish you the best and hope you can change your situation as soon as possible.

Maybe you can help people "not officially". I mean, try silly things like fixing older people's computers just for the fun of it. It's a crazy idea, I know, but you said you have nothing to do...

You also have experience with kids. Maybe you can apply for kid's schools, I don't know the name in english, but I'm talking about schools for really young kids, like 2, 3 years old.

8. Cyantist

Outline a list of cult classics, and get through them as fast as possible without putting out a crap product. lot of those will sell really well if you can get the word out on the websites where all the dorks hang out. #Red Dwarf on tumblr would eat a red dwarf soundboard up.

Blackadder, Red Dwarf etc you already have the source code to your pocket alan, much of the hard work is done, just need to find images (google) and the episodes, use imdb for the most popular quotes and you're onto something good

9. Cyantist

Retro made a post about this the other day... people with legitimate disabilities are being forced off disability living allowance. This government definitely wont pay out so somebody can live away from family

10. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I found ceasing to give a fuck about anything makes life easier to get through

Blob likes this.
  11. goldenband

goldenband Spirited Member

Here it is:

https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome

I have no experience with it, and most of the jobs pay peanuts, but I've read that some folks with the right skills are able to at least supplement their income with it.

Blob likes this.
  12. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

You know what mate? I'm in a similar situation. Although I haven't had a girlfriend or lost one for that matter. However I'm always applying for jobs and going to interviews for the "you didn't get the job" call, and doing nothing more than sitting in front of the computer with very little money to do anything. Everyone I know, is somewhat close by, but they all work now and don't have time for me like they used to... So I feel like the ugly duckling here.

Anyway, depression only hangs around as long as you hold onto it. You must distract yourself, if you have too much time to think, well you'll only think about what you COULD do, and that just makes everything a whole lot worse. So if there's places you can go to like say a fairground, market etc just for a change of scenery. What I actually try to do is head down to the comic store and speak to the owners there, as long as they don't ask what I've done lately the conversation goes a long way hah. Having said that, yeah I still get depressed some nights of the week, but it's only because there's no current or future change.

We have job centres here too, I've gone to every single one close by, and not a single peep from them. What do these places do? I guess I can say for this part of your OP I'm in the same boat as you are. Have you tried any traineeships? You might have a 'little' more luck there. As much as I know you want a job (so do I) you'll have your foot in the door at least.

13. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I find that people will work like mad for someone else, but when it comes to enriching themselves it's
    near impossible to apply themselves.

The problem is the boss (themselves) isn't strict enough.... sadly.

14. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Yes the proof would be when both you and you're parents say the same thing. You say they're kicking you out and they confirm it. And yes it is easy to cheat the system. The ideal of the social security net is that we're just people helping eachother out. And so we are, but sometimes you have to spice the truth up because some people don't get it any other way.
    Yeah it's the same thing here. The social security agents are people like any people. And in their guidelines they actually have stuff like "observe the subjects presentation of his problems". Which means you have to present you issues in a way that's believable. Not be all like "oh i'm gonna be homeless in 4 weeks but that's cool I don't care duuuuh". You have to show them how urgent and needed a solution to your matter is so that they can see it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  15. piplup10036

piplup10036 Gutsy Member

Ever think about going outside for a walk/jog? When I'm down, that and some good music during the walk can help make a day better for me.

16. Twimfy

This is something my doctor suggested, just walking 30 mins in the morning, with or without music. I gotta get my sleep pattern fixed first though. I'm waking up at like 2pm every day even when I got to bed around 11pm.

17. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Normal for anyone who doesn't work. I do the same, getting up early twiddling my thumbs is pointless... Unless I have plans to do something nothing wrong sleeping I guess...

18. Cyantist

I went to the jobcenter yesterday.

they expect you to do 5hrs/day on a single website alone of job searching (aparantly they can track that one). Of which a max of maybe 300 are posted throughout the day (so I just leave the page open and refresh periodically) most also want experience (Paid experience btw, not work experience) and there are other requirements needing certain courses etc, leaving a max of maybe 20 I can apply for.

Also the "ideal" job seekers looks for jobs outside of their hometown - all this for an 18 year old without transport.

Not so good when I live with my grandma and her health (physical and mental) is getting worse.

19. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

They cant track you searching, thats just stupid.

20. synrgy87

synrgy87 Well Known Member

they believe everyone is as dumb as they are