How did you find your most-sought object ?

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Franzh11, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Franzh11

Franzh11 Spirited Member

Hi gamers, I was wondering for those that found what they seek the most for their collection, how did you find it ? Was it through the internet...
    or rather by pure luck ? or maybe you had some useful contacts that've helped you find this piece ?

:disgust:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

I guess Urusei Yatsura Complete Music Box. Almost never use it but certainly special enough to count. Appeared on ebay a while ago.

I'm still looking for that non-TMSS Euro PAL Megadrive model 1. Could be some time. Most sellers don't mention the license screen, and even then many who may have one don't ship to US. I may have to find a middle man service or thrift shop hunter.
    My Neo Geo MVS isn't yet consolized either. Plans are kind of at a stand still. I've got a person lined up for its board modding work, yet we need the case designer.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. CHR_AeON

CHR_AeON Rising Member

At one time, I was really after "Virtual Bart" for the japanese Mega Drive. Was probably my most sought game, ever. Found it in a french webshop for a quite reasonable price...

4. sneakypeanut

sneakypeanut Pika CHUUUUUU!!!

Mine was for a long time a 'Blue Zephyr' Xbox 360 prototype. out of chance after 3 years searching someone randomly contacted asking how much one was worth. within 5mins i bought it and payed for shipping from Germany. its sat next to my foot now shining away. next on my list is a 'XNA Prototype' but i give that a few years till i find one :'(

5. DefectX11

DefectX11 Familiar Face

I randomly searched around for a person selling a PS2 TOOL. Came here, and weeks later had one sent to me. I don't have it yet, but I should expect it soon.

6. urisma

urisma <B>Site Supporter 2012</B>

I found and purchased a 3DS dev unit from a guy on ebay who was selling some stuff he got from E3 2011. He had an RVT, ps3 test, xdk, and the 3ds, and I ended up purchasing the xdk and 3DS unit. Ditched the 3DS unit though since it was worthless to me (no sentimental value or anything else there). I've now got an xdk, ps3 test, and a xbox debug on the way. Still looking out for some N64 gear...

7. alphagamer

alphagamer What is this? *BRRZZ*.. Ouch!

My most-sought object constantly gets replaced, currently it's a Taxi pinball machine, which I'll most likely find on eBay.

One of my most-sought items of the past (the Bung jr. 512m flashcart for N64) I found by accident on a forum and bought right away.

I used to love flea markets, but nowadays a lot of people charge ridiculous prices because "that's what it's listed for on eBay"... well.... this isn't eBay... same with most cash converters.

8. DefectX11

DefectX11 Familiar Face

Dammit, urisma. Not only do you have a TEST PS3, but you've got a 3DS dev kit.

9. urisma

urisma <B>Site Supporter 2012</B>

*Had. It wasn't much use so I got rid of it. You can find PS3 tests on ebay maybe once a month. One just ended a few days ago for a little over $200 USD.

10. AltRN8

AltRN8 Spirited Member

Dreamcast Katana Dev Kit was probably my most desired item. I bought one from the marketplace forums and am really happy to own. I could still use a gd-r burner but I'm happy just owning the Katana.

Close followup would be a PS2 TOOL and the Xbox dev kit (which I also bought off the forums).

11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You keep mentioning this, over and over... yet it would be trivially for you to get one.

Go on ebay, find one that the picture shows it has the right text and then ask them to power it on. Done.

Its just a case of paying the shipping.

12. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Used to be a DC dev kit until I realized that it would mostly be useless at this point unless I had the spare cash to acquire unfinished games and/or GD-Rs to put it to use. I'd love to get ahold of Steel Battalion but I can't afford $150.

Next to that I'd love it if my Trinity would be nice to me and glitch. A 3DO and Atari Jaguar would be nice but again I can't afford the asking prices. Maybe I'll score nicely at a thrift store one day...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  13. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Oh. I suppose. Better to put the whole thing behind me, by actually doing it. For the type of item I've messed around far too long.

14. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

If you need a go between (i.e. someone who wont ship to USA) - just let me know.

15. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Thanks. I don't know the rarity order on this revision, but my purely frivolous guess is US has the most units without TMSS. Having no data to back myself up it's little meaning...

I'm not sure if Korea or Brazil got such early ones.

16. Franzh11

Franzh11 Spirited Member

wow, i know there's a lot of guys here that buy console devkit but do you actually make games with ? It seems so long just to learn how to make a game, there's the coding part, arts, etc... or maybe its mostly for collecting purpose, I dunno.

Me I'm trying to retrace an old build of an n64 game if it's still exists ... but honestly sometimes when people knows things about a prototype your seeking maybe they wont reply your message back mainly because they wanna keep the secret for them... :p

17. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

My rarest/most sought-after gaming object I own is probably my Victor Wondermega. That thing is really a beauty. I don't really use it all that much, but it's just beautiful to look at. Yakumo posted it in the marketplace and I bought a month or so later. I do not regret that purchase a bit.

18. Hawanja

Hawanja Ancient Deadly Ninja Baby

Things I would trade a bodypart for:

Entex Adventurevision - They pop up on Ebay from time to time and sell for like $1000. I've been saving up for next time.

Daewoo Zemmix - There was one on Ebay last month but I dropped out after $580. It was a nice looking one too. God dammit.

Unreleased Dreamcast Castlevania game - If there ever is someone here offering up this for a rom release I'm all over it.

Epoch Game Pocket Computer - Rare here in the states, if any people over in Japan can get me one of these I'll make it worth your while.

19. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Stargate SG-1 : The Alliance. Yet another lead, yet another crash and burn. Im disheartened, someone pick me up

20. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Definitely my DOCTOR V64, I would read about these systems all the time in the internet, and watch people on YouTube that owned them. I then started to save up money and then started to really poke around searching for one, I finally managed to find a store that had one left in stock, it happened to be Version 1 of the system which is harder to come across. As soon as it arrived, I was so happy I own a system I was looking for in years!
    Next on my search is a CD64...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012