How can I check DVD integrity?

Discussion in 'Dumping and Backing Up Your Games and Prototypes' started by Paolo, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Paolo

Paolo Member

Hello, I recently tried to store all the documents I have about gaming(articles, old magazines pdfs, forum pages information etc..) burning them to DVD.
    I used the M-Discs, the best method we actually own for preserving data. Those discs are pretty expensive (about 15 dollars for 3 discs) but the quality is extremely high and the data can be preserved there for a very long time.
    The only thing I was trying to understand is: how can I check that the disc is written properly without errors?
    I have the log file of the burning that states that everything went well but I know there are also some other methods to check properly that the disc is written in the right way.
    I tried to download Nero disc speed but it seems not working (maybe because I don't have the rights for Nero Burning ROM)
    Do you know other methods? Are they useful also for checking PS1/PS2 games?
    Thanks

2. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

I have a hard time believing DVDs are the best way to store data long-term.

Traace likes this.
  3. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

in realty there is no true long term backup, your best bet is have multiple copies on hard drives and in different places and on cloud storage.

4. Paolo

Paolo Member

I believed that too since I discovered the M-Discs.
    If you check this technology it's called Millennial Discs. These discs cannot be written by all the hardwares but every DVD reader can read them. They are realized with materials that don't decline with time because it's a multilayer DVD made with chemicals that are not subject to decline. If you store them properly they should not have trouble with that. It's used for old photos or old data. I know a guy who put this disc for one year exposed directly to the solar light and it is still readable.
    Obviously you should make many copies with many methods but I believe this one to be one of the best
    Here's the article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

5. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

The best bet is to diversify, and SAVE THE HARDWARE NEEDED! All the media in the world isn't worth anything if you cant access it. M-disc are great and have advantages, but exactly how long they will last remains to be seen, as with any storage. So give yourself options.

6. Paolo

Paolo Member

I totally agree. The best method in my opinion is to diversify and to preserve storage from environment damages. One of the most important things is also to preserve from damages a good dvd reader. The best thing with M-Discs is that they don't need a M-Disc reader, even though I will save and protect it. I tested my discs with other DVD readers and they worked fine.
    My question is about checking the data written on these discs. I would like to know i there's a software that can check that data is written properly and all sectors are fine. I'm not talking about storage integrity but just "written process properly done"

7. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

Most DVD burning programs have a "verify" process that you can use. In theory if you use this, it should be enough. You could MD5 the files before the burn, then rip the disc and verify the MD5 sums but that is total overkill.

8. Paolo

Paolo Member

I heard about some softwares like Emsa DiskCheck, Dvdisaster, Nero DiskSpeed. Ever used one of them?

9. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Just compare the checksums of backed up files, if they match then it should be enough.
    These days I just use owncloud and sync my files to multiple computers- 3 laptops, desktop, work desktop, work laptop and I do an offline back up every few months

10. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

About the quality of the burn, the CD burner softwares used to have done pretty in depth verify tools, maybe they also have them for DVDs? This might be interesting: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-cd-or-dvd-readability-by-running-surface-scan-and-file-test/

You cou get M-Discs for around 2$ to 2.5$ CAD a piece on Amazon if you buy them in bulk.

I would suggest adding par2 data redundancy to your discs too if you're paranoid. This way, even if there are unrecoverable errors on the disc, the data itself might be safe.

I personally use a modified version of a scrip called par2protect.py that's easily found online. Ideally, if you were to burn the disc with free space, you add redundancy until the disc is full. Else I use 20 to 30% redundancy.

I have a copy of important data on my computer, on my home server, on my off-site server backup and on M-Disc (DVD or BluRay friendide on size) with redundancy for the long term important stuff.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  11. Traace

Traace Rising Member

Thats why I bought a HP DL180 G5 for 50€ (what a bargain). Now running RAID1 with 4 of 8 3.5" HDD bays.

12. Paolo

Paolo Member

Thank you! Never knew about par2 redundancy! Great news. I have to inform about this and use this method. Happy to know that other people use M-Discs. Here in Europe, Amazon apply a very high price but it's the only retailer to sell them. Physical stores don't sell them. Maybe because they are not known and they need a particular DVD writer. I use the Asus SDRW-08U7M-U with Cyberlink power2go, the software they gave me with the writer.
    Very satisfied about it but I wanted to check the integrity. Anyway, is it hard to use the par2 redundancy?