Hooking up my Dreamcast(s) to my TV

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Sep 5, 2017.

1. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

If SCART isn't an option, how are you going to use RGB? You need a scaler for an HDTV if your TV doesn't support RGB. Like Taijigamer said, the Akura will output HDMI, so you wouldn't need a scaler. Also you'll get 480p. That's probably the best option if you're using an HDTV. I think, though I'm not sure, that the Akura will also work with games that don't have VGA support. Another option is a VGA box and a VGA to HDMI converter. That won't work with games that don't support VGA, though (which is really not many of them).

Otherwise, if you specifically don't want VGA resolution (I don't know why you wouldn't, it's much better), your only other option is an RGB cable and an RGB scaler of some kind. Like Taijigamer said, if you're only using 15kHz RGB, there's no point in getting a Kuro or Akura, because those are for 31kHz. Just a SCART cable is all you need.

Taijigamer2 likes this.
  2. psydefx

psydefx Robust Member

looks like the component cable from hd retrovision is what id be needing. no release date yet though

3. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

Did the topic creator ever figure out that the Framemeister accepts 31khz (DC "VGA") through the RGB port just fine? H+V sync just needs to be combined to composite sync.

Or just plug a DC VGA box up to the OSSC via it's VGA port.

4. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I just fell face first into the perfect settings through S-video and no I didn't.

5. Xerxes3rd

Xerxes3rd Rapidly Rising Member

I use a Kuro and run it through an Atlona VGA->HDMI converter. Unfortunately, the side-effect is that the aspect ratio is slightly wrong. My TV does have a VGA port, but won’t accept the Dreamcast’s non-VESA timings. I think an ideal solution without doing an internal HDMI mod (which is still being developed by a couple people) would be to use the Component cables once they’re released. This is because the Dreamcast is outputting 480p over its VGA port (with most games), and from there you could go direct to many TV’s or through a Component->HDMI converter.

If you want 480p and perfect aspect ratio right now, it looks like the OSSC will handle it properly.

Taijigamer2 likes this.