(Homebrew) Sonic Z-Treme

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by XL2, Jul 20, 2017.

1. XL2

XL2 Rising Member

I experimented using the red gouraud palette sprite bug, which works fine as already known.
    I also played with another technique that I just call the green gouraud bug, which shifts palettes 32 values, allowing you to interpolate the results.
    While I'm not using gouraud on the level yet, I'm using flat lightning with palette shifts, so gouraud would just make it all smoother if I can make all the textures fit in 32 colors.

Here is the game with both the metal effect (working on real hardware nicely) using both green gouraud shifts (when the metal player is invincible) and red gouraud (both when invincible and not).
    I (quickly) added global lightning to the maps using per-vertex lightning and averaging the results to get a per-quad flat lightning shifting palettes.
    I also added back rings and ennemies, but the ennemies are static since I didn't code in an insertion function for the octree nodes.

2. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

Outstanding work on the lighting.
    I'd like to just ask about the level design.. I know its still work in progress and the engine is what matters here at this stage, but will larger open areas be possible? Sonic needs more room to stretch his little legs :)
    Also would the engine allow slopes at other angles than 90 degrees?
    Would environments like the one in Sonic Jam 3D world be possible?
    again amazing to see all this possible on the Saturn and its great to have someone bring us a game I always wanted to see on Saturn.

LuizNai likes this.
  3. XL2

XL2 Rising Member

For the levels the main issue is RAM, it wouldn't allow levels like in Sonic Adventure.
    For slopes, yes, see my earlier videos of the fps demo with the Mario 64 map.
    Yes too for Sonic Jam-like levels, in fact it's pretty simple.
    I just need to add back RGB0 support and it could happen.

LuizNai likes this.
  4. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

Keep up the good work !

5. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Peppy Member

What if you utilized the Saturn 4mb ram cart? Would it make a whole lot of difference? Also your homebrew is incredible in execution. I love all the fancy tricks used to pull off some of the graphics in ztreme.

6. XL2

XL2 Rising Member

It would be slower, so it's not an option. Plus it's niche enough as it is, adding restrictions wouldn't be helpful.

AUSTIN PEYTON likes this.
  7. Benji

Benji Member

Most impressive thing I've seen on the Saturn and I've been a Sega fan since 96 so cool. With the release of Sonic will there be a little FAQ on some of the engine features for Z-Tream and Saturn hardware. Its really interesting to see the Saturn do this sort of thing! Its as impressive as the Quake 2 port on the PSX but more so as a homebrew.

8. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

I'd originally been a little resistant to the idea of this as a possibly definitive treatment of Xtreme because of the switch from sprite-based to polygonal models for Sonic and the enemies, but now I prefer this change - especially if getting all that 2D animation into the Saturn's limited memory would have been too difficult for even Sega Technical Institute! Also, it's incredible to see that you managed to pull off a split screen mode, though I'm the most excited to finally explore those four levels only previously seen in video form (if only the other two from the same batch of footage could be somehow added). Here's to the future of your great project, and I can only apologise for initially denying the reasons behind your move to 3D for such a prominent detail...

XL2 likes this.
  9. XL2

XL2 Rising Member

10. JackalSpat

JackalSpat Member

Absolutely brilliant work XL2, without a doubt.
    I have kind of an odd question, but what is your end goal for this project?

Obviously at this point Sonic Z-Treme goes well above and beyond any "tech demo" or "fan project" the Sega Saturn has ever seen, but do you want to take it to the extent of a full-featured game with a story-line, and linear level progression?

11. XL2

XL2 Rising Member

To be honest I never really intended to go that far.
    I want to focus on a fps engine (and game maybe ), so I'm not sure if I will keep on working Sonic Z-Treme in the near future.
    As for story, I won't do it for sure as I really don't care about it at all.

AUSTIN PEYTON and JackalSpat like this.