Hey there

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction Forum' started by hking0036, Jan 9, 2018.

1. hking0036

hking0036 Member

Hey, big fan of nintendo and games in general here. SNES is my bread and butter even though it's a little older than me, a lot of the games I really love. Most of my game experience comes from the GBA, so it makes a little sense after all of the ports I've played. Picked up a PVM a year or two back so I've got myself a comfortable spot to play games, lots of fun. Always working on piling games up on the backlog, especially as of late.

Honestly joined for help with my PVM, so if anyone could point me that way I would really appreciate. I can't seem to find a place to adjust the horizontal hold in the service menu but the image on the snes specifically is shifted left which seems to be a common thing over SCART? As far as I can tell, the wii and ps2 over component don't suffer the same problems, nor the gamecube.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. Kaeser

Kaeser Active Member

Welcome!

Model number and any image examples will help. Are you talking about the horizontal position?

hking0036 likes this.
  3. hking0036

hking0036 Member

I have an Olympus OEV203, which is a rebranded PVM20M2MDU. I'm using an SNES Mini with a THS7314 amp because my model 1s are older and neither are 1chips. For an example here's the Super Mario World attract mode and the menu screen in FF2/4 which I think shows it best.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I found a manual for my monitor, but it doesn't seem to point to anywhere to adjust H. Hold either. There's an option for V. Hold in the service menu, but not H. Hold, which is really weird to me.

4. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

I have that issue with everything RGB on my PVM-14N6U. The only way I could fix it was by using my Extron RGB 201 Rxi's screen centering knobs. I highly recommend giving the 201 or 203 a try. It can also act as a sync combiner/splitter and convert 480i to 240p. The RGB input is a VGA connector, however, and it does not accept Sync on Composite Video or Sync on Luma. Outputs are 5 BNC and a VGA connector though.

Also welcome to the site!

hking0036 likes this.
  5. hking0036

hking0036 Member

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I'm currently a broke college student so by the time I've been through getting a SCART->VGA and then an extron I'll be out more money than I can really spare. if there was one that did bnc in and bnc out I could maybe spring for it but I don't really have much wiggle room (unfortunately my crt fiddling, video games, and keyboard hobbies aren't worth their weight in food yet).

And thanks for the introduction!

6. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

That sucks man, hopefully you can find some money to spare for one in the future. They don't come in BNC in/out variants but the input VGA connector does support C-Sync and Sync on Green so a simple SCART to VGA cable would work should you ever get one in the future.

hking0036 likes this.
  7. hking0036

hking0036 Member

It's all good, everyone's got to do it sometime - one day (hopefully) $30 won't be a cost worth worrying over too much. ;) Besides, I already dished out the big bucks over time getting the thing up and running. The real sad part is I don't have room at school for a 20" CRT.

I'll keep an eye out, thankfully I have the csync wired up on the mini so that makes it easier than getting another box to deal with. It's bizzare to me that a monitor would have vertical hold adjust but not horizontal hold.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  8. Kaeser

Kaeser Active Member

Searching around I stumbled on this thread, but I don't know if it will help. I don't have experience with this monitor so I'm not sure I can be of any more help. Let me know how you get on.

hking0036 likes this.
  9. hking0036

hking0036 Member

thanks for the heads up, I'll try that once I get the chance and update. A little concerned about writing that setting into ROM if it only affects RGB, but the shift at this point is really bothering me so at the least I can try it. It's like a dead pixel.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Kaeser likes this.
  10. hking0036

hking0036 Member

I did manage to find the hidden menu and yes, it adjusts the shift! I'm hesitant to write them until I check it out with other settings, but good find indeed. To enter the hidden service menu: hit menu, and while the menu is open press degauss and enter simultaneously. There are a lot of options to pan through. The option to shift the image is NOT video phase as far as I can tell, it's H. Frequency. I found it in the manual as well after the fact, on page 19 it points out how to enter the service mode and on page 21 it lists the options it goes through in order. I feel dumb for not seeing those, now.

As a side note: I've been told not to turn the tv on and off repeatedly because it automatically degausses when it comes on and degaussing less than ten minutes apart is supposed to be harmful. I don't know if this is actually true or not, but I've been following it for good measure. Unfortunately, I'm a little bit ignorant about all of this.

Regardless, here we are with the final fantasy 4 menu once again, looking much less clipped at the sides (although it seems I might need to adjust the vertical size a little)!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  11. Kaeser

Kaeser Active Member

Glad your problem is fixed up, enjoy FFIV!