Help with Xenium Ice

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by Looney Bin Jim, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Looney Bin Jim

Looney Bin Jim Spirited Member

Hi all,

Recently got a pristine almost new Xenium Ice! Joy! Install went fine, boots standard evoX bios with my 500gb drive..all is good. Problem is, flashed a new bios to the chip (X2 5035) and that all went fine, but when trying to boot the new bios the xbox resets and boots the original evoX bios. I have tried other bios such as Ind and many 256k X2 bios but have the same problem every time....

Any suggestions???

Cheers,

Looney Bin

2. davidthomas

davidthomas Site Supporter 2013,2014

The evox bios is set as the primary bios. I cant remember but there is a way to set the boot bios. Eject gets you in the OS from a cold boot. I think the primary bios has a A next to it or something like that. But you will see that the evox bios has a mark next to it. now this is from memory so I hope I am right. But that is what I remember. I have not messed with the xenium for a while now. I will try to boot the xenium tomorrow when I get home to check for you if you do not get it worked out before then.

3. ToxicMedz

ToxicMedz Enthusiastic Member

Are you using the right bios file for your model xbox? I had this issue once with using the v16 plus bios when I was supposed to be using the v16 old bios file. you only use the v16 plus bios file if the xbox is a version 1.6

4. Looney Bin Jim

The problem in the end was a dashboard error. I had the dashboard not pointed correctly, which caused the box to reboot to the default bios which was evo-x...I thought that is was a bios problem, and tried several different bios's. I now have to reprogram the chip because it is saying there is not room to write a new bios..schoolboy error! you live, you learn! Which programmer is best to use with a xenium ice?

5. ToxicMedz

The way I like to program mine is to FTP into the xbox and place the bios file I want on the C drive in a folder I made just called "bios" and have it pull the file from the hard drive. The Xenium ice is one of the easier chips I've used to update and reprogram

6. Looney Bin Jim

I know how to program a bios onto the chip. The chip says it has not enough room to write a bios...Even when reset to factory defaults..I assume I need to we-write the Xenium OS using a programmer, but I may be wrong...

7. ToxicMedz

you could just try installing the final version of Xenium OS which I think is 2.3.1 and that might fix the issue. I've never known anyone having to use a programmer on a Xenium chip. Could be wrong though.

8. Looney Bin Jim

How would I go about re-installing the OS?

9. ToxicMedz

If I remember right you burn the os ISO onto a disc and either flip the switch on the physical modchip to boot into recovery mode or you use that option in your current xenium os install and just pull the updated os information off the DVD. I may be incorrect though, it's been a while since I've tried updating mine.

10. Looney Bin Jim

OK mate thanks for your help... Gonna PM a friend on here who will know for sure before I go ahead and try though!

11. ToxicMedz

When you verify how to update it correctly do post back here with how. I'd like to know if I'm correct or not in case I ever need to update mine again as well. Good documentation is always getting harder and harder to find =P

12. davidthomas

I have not done a recovery on a xenium in a little. Burn the disc that has the OS on it 2.3.1 and flip the switch on the modchip to force it into recovery mode. Then you load the disc with the OS. It was not to hard at all. I really cant remember step by step but I did it without having to look any instructions up.

This is what you need to do if your chip only has a solid red LED and it will not do anything else. The OS is corrupted. I will also give this a try for that space issue you that you have. It could not hurt to start over with a fresh install.

But I would check to make sure that it is not a clone also. There are a lot of clones and they have all sorts of issues. Some of the poor clones get killed when you update the OS past a certain version. Also some of the clones will not boot unless you have a controller plugged in.

13. Looney Bin Jim

I burned the restorefactorydefaults.iso to disk, booted into recovery and it worked! Space issue solved! This is strange since restoring factory defaults from the OS didn't..so maybe the bitch is a clone..just dunno. But thanks David and ToxicMedz it worked! Rock on! Is there any way of telling if the chip is actually a clone?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  14. ToxicMedz

Do you have an image of it?

I think I actually recall having that same issue once with the chip in my avatar, resolved the issue the same way; updating the OS. I've got both a standard Xenium (the blue one in my avatar) and the Xenium ice which you can see the bottom of in that same picture.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  15. davidthomas

There is images of the clones on xbox scene. If you post a pic of the chip I can tell you right away if it is a clone.

16. Looney Bin Jim

I'll post a pic up tommorow for sure! Calling it a night, thanks again David!

17. davidthomas

No problem. I will try to find the link for the pics of the clones tonight or tomorrow. But I know what to look for already. But it would be great for others to know also.

18. ToxicMedz

19. davidthomas

That is great. But I think he has a ICE chp and that is the blue chip. I still have not had a chance to look for the ICE chip clone pics. But I think they might be the same with a white chip.

I am glad to see the xbox threads busy again! This is my favorite system!

20. ToxicMedz

I have a image of the ice chip here too. Blue is on the top, ice is the second image.