HELP with RGB mod on LaserActive (Tons of pics inside)

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Fandangos, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Fandangos

Fandangos <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I'm trying to accomplish what should be an easy mod.

I'm following what this guy on AtariAge did:
    http://atariage.com/forums/topic/175038-laseractive-rgb-mod/

But I can't get it to work.

The closest I got of a working image was a totally blue screen (everything was blue not a solid blue screen) and static, I was able to read, it was syncing.
    I got that with a weird combination of RED signal into sync pin and Blue on the blue pin.

This pictures I took using the actual correct pinout of the Din 8 pins and a neo geo scart cable.

AMP board with THS7314

[​IMG]

Here's where I got RGB from:

[​IMG]

This is where I got Composite Sync. I'm getting it from the other side.

[​IMG]

Here:

[​IMG]

This is where I'm getting GND and +5v for the THS and the Din plug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is Mortal Kombat II

[​IMG]

And this is one of the static images I can get using a single color only and weird pinout combination, like RED on Blue e blue on sync or something, I can't recall exactly:
    [​IMG]

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Fandangos

I've followed the Texas Instruments official datasheet for the THS7314 that has a point where GND and 3.3V meets together.

Well, my laseractive is dead.

I said before and I'll say it once again, the THS7314 is the worst piece of shit I ever seen.

People who claims otherwise only did the N64 mod with it. This chip is a nightmare and just doesn't work.

3. Banjo

Banjo <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Wow, I didn't even know such a system existed until this thread.

Was it working fine before attempting the mod?

Can you just replace the chip?

4. Fandangos

It had a short circuit.

A friend of mine gave me an advice to replace the +5v regulator to fix it.

And yes it was working fine. To be fair the ths7314 should have worked from start but since I'm using a RGB to Component converter this makes those mods a little bit harder because it's not that easy to get the proper voltage on the outputs.

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

PIcture of this?

As there isnt one from the sheet im looking at. Only where you have caps between them, which is normal.

6. ElBarto

ElBarto Robust Member

This is the dumbest thing to do on a LaserActive as LaserDisc video isn't in RGB.

7. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

True. Only game compatibility reason for that is enabling 32X, and a worlds cheaper Genesis already has the RGB it requires.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Thinking about it... doesnt the Wii do exactly this if you use an RGB cable on a US (or set to US) console, as the same pins are used for RGB or Svideo depending on which region the console is set to.

9. Fandangos

The laseractive has the best sound I ever experienced on a genesis.

Besides I really like the way it was built, I was adding RGB to it to replace that mess that is the mega cd + genesis + 32x with 3 power supplies. I was also giving up on the 32x since it's only 42 games.

[​IMG]

In red were the point I had in mind it was a short circuit.
    I gave it a shot and now the Laseractive is dead.

I still need to check the 5v regulator on the RGB board to see if I can fix that.

10. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Why go through that kind of trouble? I'd have expected just finding red green blue inside the PAC, then sending them to an amp.

11. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

If it's well and truly dead I may be interested in purchasing it. My LaserActive plays games wonderfully but can't play LD video for LDs or MegaLDs. Replaced 90 caps on one board with no improvement and there are more boards to go. Maybe I can get a franken LaserActive working?

Dumbest thing to do is make it known you have absolutely nothing of value to contribute to this thread. While LDs are in composite video games work in RGB which you clearly seem ignorant of.

12. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

He's right on a technicality, he said the LaserActive. Not the PAC. :boxing:

13. Fandangos

I did exactly what you are saying. There's a ribbon coming from the PAC that has R G B on it. Hooked it up to the amp and the amp to the DIN port.

And no go.

@ APE there's a laseractive on a used shop here for $40. I'm highly considering getting it and just replacing the RGB board. Still I think the regulator is all that is damaged.

I may not have much time to expend on this project this week so all I can do is think what could be wrong.

14. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

From an idiot's point of view, it sounds like that short circuit sent voltage into the RGB lines.

15. Mendel

Mendel Spirited Member

16. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I'd jump on that, especially if it fully works. Mine was $220 or so after taxes and I jumped after realizing what it was but it couldn't be tested in advance. Someone is selling a fully functional model for $150 shipped on Digital-Press.

17. Fandangos

Yeah and I feel really stupid for doing it :(

42 as far as I know and most of them suck.

Yeah, I'll get it as soon as my payment gets trough.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  18. drakon

drakon Gutsy Member

Sorry about your system. I use sop to dip adapter boards for the ths7314. Worked fine in rgb nes systems:

28JjJuz.jpg

x6LKVft.jpg

I recommended two people try the ths7314 amp to bypass the video encoder in the onechip snes and they both said it works great as well as removing the translucent bar in the middle of the screen. I've never tried using the ths7314 on anything else but I'll be trying it in pc engines soon.

I don't think the ths7314 is a bad amp.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  19. Fandangos

As I said it works with almost ready to go RGB systems.

I have used the THS7314 on the N64, the NES, the SNES Baby and it all work well.

Try using it on the Sega Master System (the brazilian one doesn't have RGB amp) or the laseractive as I did here and you will see that it doesn't work.

I'll be getting a batch of CXA chips this week and this will be an entire different story :)

20. drakon

drakon Gutsy Member

Yeah I love my cxa2075s. I noticed with the pc engine people used pullup resistors on the rgb lines, I wonder if that would have helped.