Help with 1Chip SNES SuperCIC+IGR mod

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Dakushi, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Dakushi

Dakushi Dipping his toes into console modding

Hi!

I have been trying to do the SuperCIC+IGR mod on my 1CHIP-02, using kel's diagram and parts that I have purchased from Bad_Ad84. The problem I am currently facing, is that when I powerup my snes, with a game in ofc. the console boots and runs the game for about 9 seconds, then the screen says no signal and it stays that way. The LED is showing Red (I think, might be orangeish though) and pressing or holding the reset button does nothing.

I have removed the CIC chip from the board and soldered a 10k resistor from pin 8 to ground and lifted the S-RGB Pin 9 and soldered it to CN1 according to the chart. I have also removed X1 and soldered CN3 to TC1+.

As far as I can tell, all of the solder points are making a connection and no solder points on the back of the PCB or the board are touching when they should not. I also checked that all of the breaks in the copper lanes on the back, were indeed broken with a multimeter, before I started to soldering the wires to the board.

It should also be mentioned that I have previously modded my snes with RetroRGB's amp, which I tested afterwards and everything worked fine.

I have uploaded some images that I took while doing all of this, the first album is before today and the second album is work that I have done today, which should be the most relevant one in this matter. (Yes I'm very bad at soldering, took about 5 hours for the work today).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Update/edit:
    I have re-soldered CN3, using a new wire directly to X1 right pin. I'm not sure if this was the needed change but I have discovered a few things.
    1. I can now cycle between a Red, Blue and Blueish? color via the reset switch on the snes.
    2. When in Red the console runs in 60Hz/NTSC, which locks up the machine instantly and a hard reset is needed, I cannot reset it via IGR or the reset switch.
    3. When running in either Blue or Blueish? mode the game seems to run in 50hz/PAL, I have checked this using a PAL game, as I do not own any NTSC games. However I cannot make the the PAL game run in 60Hz or so it would seem.
    4. I can use IGR to switch between 60Hz/NTSC (which locks up the system) and 50Hz/PAL, but not to the Blueish? mode.

NB. The Red mode is 60Hz/NTSC (L+R+Select+A), Blue mode is 50Hz/PAL (L+R+Select+Y) and I cannot change into "Region from SuperCIC (SuperCIC only)" (L+R+Select+B) as depicted in this diagram.

Update 2:
    So far I think that 50Hz mode works, but 60hz does not, this is because the game locks up instantly when changed to 60hz, which also explains why the "blueish" mode does nothing since it is an automode? that sets the game to 50hz, since it is a 50hz game. This however doesn't explain why I cant change to "automode" using IGR and only the manual reset button.

I see 2 possibility's, one is that something with 60Hz has gone wrong and the console therefore locks up when it tries to run the game in 60Hz, second is that maybe there is something wrong with the region lock bypass so that it cant run a PAL game in 60Hz? but that is just speculation.

Update 3:
    Soldered an extra wire from GND to CN11 and from +5v to CN10, also re-soldered the 7404 and the 60Hz mode works now, but it flickers with some artifacts, progress! (vod)

Edit: Apparently this is a problem with Super Mario World and when I tried Super Mario All-stars everything worked fine, except maybe a minor glitching of a background? I don't have any other games atm. but I'm waiting for Secret of Mana PAL in the mail and will confirm once it arrives!

Current problem/s:
    None?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. Blaasvis

Blaasvis Active Member

Sound like a sync issue. It might be pin 18 on the s-rgb has been lifted slightly. It is close to the pins you lifted in the past.
    Have tried it on a CRT or LCD ? Else it probably is the clock circuit which might be to far off from X1? To thick wires? measure the resistants. It should be fairly low.

Dakushi likes this.
  3. Dakushi

I just checked pin 18, and it looks perfectly fine, I used a small pick to lift the pins for the RetroRGB mod as per the instructions. I used an LCD tv to check the snes, running in game mode and all settings like they were before. I'm using kynar wire, so the wire thickness should be fine.

I have just removed the CN3 wire and used a new piece of wire to connect CN3 to X1 right point, instead of TC1+ and the same problem occurs. However I have found out, that if I hold the reset button before the 9 seconds are up and let the LED change to Blue or "Blueish red" (that is what I would describe it as) the game keeps running. I cannot however see any difference between the Blue and Blueish settings when I switch between them, the screen doesn't even change or anything of the sort. It should be mentioned that I'm using a PAL (NOE) game to test this, as I do not have any other region games.

4. kel

kel Spirited Member

If the LED is red then it seems like it is in NTSC mode if I remember correctly. Does your TV support NTSC 60hz?
    You could try moving connection AI-J to AK-J on the strip board. This will disable the ~9sec switching which should at least get you started.

Regarding the reset not working, bear in mind that if you reset from the joypad then the console reset will not work until a hard reset and vice versa if I recall. You will have to excuse me as I am working from memory here.

If that is not the problem and reset or mode change does not work from either the console or the joypad then nothing else really springs to mind at the moment, sorry.

Dakushi likes this.
  5. Dakushi

My TV should support NTSC 60hz, I just checked the manual and it says that it supports "NTSC-4.43, NTSC-3.58". I was using the reset switch to reset, but I also tried the pad and both work, the red color is 60Hz/NTSC which is when it doesn't work and when it is switched into this mode, I have to hard reset for it to be able to switch to another mode and neither IGR or the reset button works to reset or change modes. The 50Hz/PAL works fine and when i try using the L+R+Select+B (Region from SuperCIC (SuperCIC Only)) nothing happens, not even an LED color change.

So it would seem that I can switch between 50Hz/PAL and 60Hz/NTSC, both via reset switch and IGR, but if I switch to 60Hz/NTSC the system locks up. As far as I know, I should be able to run a PAL game in 60Hz mode? but I'm not sure if it would be via the (Region from SuperCIC) or the Region 60Hz/NTSC. I'm getting the names from this diagram.

6. kel

kel Spirited Member

Maybe check for dry solder joints like the one in your picture on U8?

If that is GND and that is the only point where your board is getting GND from then that would be a good place to start.

EDIT: Also kynar is fine for signal wires but for any +5v and GND wires you will need some thicker wires. If you don't have any then it would be a good idea to double or triple the kynar wire for those connections, especially GND.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Dakushi likes this.
  7. Dakushi

I had no idea what dry solder joints were a minute ago, so I will go and check the board for those later and double/triple the wireing on +5v and GND, since I don't have anything else available at the moment.

8. Blaasvis

Blaasvis Active Member

Seems like the NTSC mode is only giving issues. Check pin 13 to 8 on the 74hcu04 and the resistors + caps on the 21.477 crystal. The clock signal might not be in right.
    Also it seems that pin 7 on the 74hcu04 is not connected to ground... it is left floating ?

Dakushi likes this.
  9. Dakushi

I checked all of the pins and re-soldered them on the 04, all of the pins are soldered to the board, however one seemed to have come loose? PIN 13 I believe and now it seems to be working, however the screen flickers and has some artifacts?, I have uploaded a vod here that shows the problem.

Edit: Apparently Super Mario World has this problem and when I tried with Super Mario All-stars the issues seem to have gone away, I think that there are some minor glitches? but apparently All-stars is also problematic in this regard? Source

These are the two only games that I own atm. for the SNES, but I have Secret of Mana in the mail and that is also PAL, so I will confirm that the problem is solved? when it arrives :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  10. Blaasvis

Blaasvis Active Member

Yeah the optimized games from nintendo/second parties do have some artifacts. I have the same issue with mario world. Starfox is pretty bad as wel. If you want to play those in 60hz get the NTSC releases and use a converter with just the game in it or make the slot bigger to fit the game (not a fan of that). Those games play decend enough imho since they have been somewhat optimized. The third party releases are hardly ever optimized. I will never go back to playing hagane or parodius in 50hz.

Dakushi likes this.