[HELP][PSP DEVKIT] Hooking up DTP-H1500 to computer

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by power7714, Sep 27, 2017.

1. power7714

power7714 Rising Member

The sdk repetitively mentions connecting the devkit for debugging purposes but I couldn't find anything in the docs or online about how to connect it to a computer. Does anyone know or have experience with connecting it to a computer? I've read that the two ports at the top are for service techs only and shouldn't be touch for risk of damaging your system. Is that true or is that where I should connect? I'd ultimately like to have this connected to debug some games to see what is missing or more specific information as to what the "failed" errors are referencing. The official emulator from the sdk lags too much and isn't supported anymore for debugging.

Note: Please don't ask for the emulator as I had to promise not to share it. Sorry.

2. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

The doc mentions are for the DTP-T1000 DevTool not the Test Tool, The way you connect and interface with the system is from the ethernet port your unit doesn't have.

Now with that said there is a way to connect it but it requires you to use ProView which is included in the SDK and use the USB port on the controller as a serial out.

The Test units are meant really just for running/testing games, yes its silly SCE made them as big as the Dev units :/

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    pool7 likes this.
  3. power7714

power7714 Rising Member

@fate6 Hmm... Ok. I'll try that. Is it true that software from the sdk only works on Windows XP? I currently have Windows 10 but have no problem buying a computer with XP if need be.

4. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

The bits I used seemed to work fine in W10 for me but you can always just run a VM.

5. power7714

power7714 Rising Member

@fate6 The reason I ask is because when I tried to run Stream Composer, it crashes everytime. That's the only one that seems to have issues.

6. mathieulh

mathieulh Problem Solver

Stream composer needs the to be running on windows XP or using the compatibility mode.
    As to debugging using a DTP-H1500 it's possible using Proview but keep in mind that binaries you debug on it have to be "Proview friendly" as in, they need to be compiled specifically to run on Proview if memory serves me well. There is also the fact that DTP-H1500 do not have Ethernet (or the CP) so everything runs through usb serial or WLAN (the later being really slow) and you need to keep having the Proview disc in the unit, you also can't reboot the kernel while debugging as a limitation.

Quite frankly you are much better off using a development kit for any development oriented tasks. Just because many sellers mislead their costumers (intentionally or not) by labelling the DTP-H1500 as a "PSP Development kit" doesn't make it one. It's called "Testing Tool" for a reason.

Just get the (nowadays much more elusive and rare) DTP-T1000 if you are serious about psp development (or just a retail unit and the unofficial SDK really).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    fate6 and pool7 like this.
  7. power7714

power7714 Rising Member

I know it's a testing unit. I was aware of that before buying it. I would love to have the 1000 but as you said they're becoming more and more rare. That being said, I've seen the testing tool connected to a pc years ago so i know it to be possible. But i will try the suggestions offered. If that doesn't work, no worries. It's not that big of a deal. I just wanted to see if I could. Thanks for the help and classification.

8. WorldGenesis

WorldGenesis irc.worldgenesis.net

I know right?! It clearly says 'Development Tool' or 'Testing Tool' on the beige box (or just selling the controller and calling it that.) :p

mathieulh likes this.
  9. mathieulh

mathieulh Problem Solver

10. power7714

power7714 Rising Member

Yeah I hate that. There's someone on eBay selling a "Development Tool" right now and it clearly says "Testing Tool" on the front. Apparently they can't read. :D

11. crypton

crypton Rising Member

DTP-H1500 is a testing tool, can't hook up to computer, only development tool can be hook up to computer.

12. mathieulh

mathieulh Problem Solver

You actually can using proview over usb or wlan but it's not as straightforward as on development tools and it has its own set of limitations.

pool7 likes this.
  13. crypton

crypton Rising Member

Really? I'll give a try