(Help) PS1/PS2 dumping for dumbasses like me

Discussion in 'Dumping and Backing Up Your Games and Prototypes' started by Diablodin, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Hi. I'm going to dump some PS1 and PS2 betas and I just want to guidance, because I'm so sharp when it comes to this stuff apparently.

I want to dump a PS1 Medievil review disc, but there's no indication of wether it's PAL or NTSC, and it supposedly consists of two tracks... How do I find out, in general, and what should I do to dump such discs to BIN+CUE, if that's what the format was.

All help is immensely appreciated. :)

2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

you can use the redump tool i guess?
    https://github.com/reignstumble/DICUI/releases/download/1.10/DICUI_1.10.zip
    it will output extra data because this is mainly intended for redump dat stuff but its an option if you want.
    other tools include imgburn, isobuster, or some other tool of similar nature.

im sure theres better suggestions like CloneCD or alcohol 120% or daemon tools or something as well.

3. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Yeah, I got both that and the DiscImageCreator. I tried both methods too. But I got a couple errors and I figured it was smart to ask someone more experienced.
    I'm slooowly entering a phase where I will be archiving my beta collection, especially my Diablo discs, and I want the most perfect dump that can be rewritten onto new discs for testing.

And so I will be looking at a proper way to store the discs afterwards, and I'll probably ask for tips there too.
    I'm thinking putting individual discs into either paper or clear, "acid free" plastic CD pockets, then putting them all in an acrylic case being stored in a durable, climate neutralizing box of some sort.

4. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Does anyone know how to find out how many tracks PS1 and PS2 discs are, and what region the game is?
    Any other details I should know to not miss out on vital info when making a dump?

Would you rather recommend them? What's the benefits?

5. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

You can use any decent software like IMGBURN. For CD-ROM games, dump as BIN/CUE because the ISO format itself cannot store audio tracks. There should be no need for you to manually determine the number of tracks. The game's content does not determine the region, but the physical disc. But if you mean to ask how you might determine the region that the game was meant for, you can look at the main executable filename to determine what sort of license type it was issued, like SLUS for US, SLES for Europe etc. DVDs cannot have audio tracks, hence the ISO format itself is probably okay. You can verify your dumps against the hashes from the Redump project.

6. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

You can also check the data in the license area of the CD - it's normally at 0x24e0 in the image file and contains the strings
    "Licensed by" and
    "Sony Computer Entertainment Inc" (For Japanese discs)
    "Sony Computer Entertainment of America" (For US discs)
    "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe" (For PAL discs)