(Help) PS1/PS2 dumping for dumbasses like me

Discussion in 'Dumping and Backing Up Your Games and Prototypes' started by Diablodin, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Hi. I'm going to dump some PS1 and PS2 betas and I just want to guidance, because I'm so sharp when it comes to this stuff apparently.

I want to dump a PS1 Medievil review disc, but there's no indication of wether it's PAL or NTSC, and it supposedly consists of two tracks... How do I find out, in general, and what should I do to dump such discs to BIN+CUE, if that's what the format was.

All help is immensely appreciated. :)

2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

you can use the redump tool i guess?
    https://github.com/reignstumble/DICUI/releases/download/1.10/DICUI_1.10.zip
    it will output extra data because this is mainly intended for redump dat stuff but its an option if you want.
    other tools include imgburn, isobuster, or some other tool of similar nature.

im sure theres better suggestions like CloneCD or alcohol 120% or daemon tools or something as well.

3. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Yeah, I got both that and the DiscImageCreator. I tried both methods too. But I got a couple errors and I figured it was smart to ask someone more experienced.
    I'm slooowly entering a phase where I will be archiving my beta collection, especially my Diablo discs, and I want the most perfect dump that can be rewritten onto new discs for testing.

And so I will be looking at a proper way to store the discs afterwards, and I'll probably ask for tips there too.
    I'm thinking putting individual discs into either paper or clear, "acid free" plastic CD pockets, then putting them all in an acrylic case being stored in a durable, climate neutralizing box of some sort.

4. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Does anyone know how to find out how many tracks PS1 and PS2 discs are, and what region the game is?
    Any other details I should know to not miss out on vital info when making a dump?

Would you rather recommend them? What's the benefits?

5. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

You can use any decent software like IMGBURN. For CD-ROM games, dump as BIN/CUE because the ISO format itself cannot store audio tracks. There should be no need for you to manually determine the number of tracks. The game's content does not determine the region, but the physical disc. But if you mean to ask how you might determine the region that the game was meant for, you can look at the main executable filename to determine what sort of license type it was issued, like SLUS for US, SLES for Europe etc. DVDs cannot have audio tracks, hence the ISO format itself is probably okay. You can verify your dumps against the hashes from the Redump project.

6. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

You can also check the data in the license area of the CD - it's normally at 0x24e0 in the image file and contains the strings
    "Licensed by" and
    "Sony Computer Entertainment Inc" (For Japanese discs)
    "Sony Computer Entertainment of America" (For US discs)
    "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe" (For PAL discs)

7. TheManThatTellsTheTruth

TheManThatTellsTheTruth Member

Did you dump it in the end?
    Also, could you check the MEDRES.WAD file? Want to see if it's the same build that leaked(tho we have a bad dump of it).

8. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

DiscImageCreator is the best dumping app for cd-roms, has thorough logs, and even spits out libcrypt sectors for PS1 (and other drm info for other discs).

DIC supposes you have a preservation-grade supported Plextor optical disc drive model that reads Lead-in and Lead-out, as well as OpCode: 0xd8, SubCode: 8. So certain errors be reported if you don't have one of these drives, however your dump should be fine if your disc isn't scratched.

Review disc or Promo?
    This is what the medievil promo looks like:
    [​IMG]
    The code matches the original and platinum releases http://redump.org/disc/592/

9. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

I have a Plextor PX-708A and a PX-712A, and I can also get a couple PX-116A for cheap.
    I don't know anything about the specifications you're talking about, so please tell me if the drives I'm using aren't the right grade. Is 116A the better model?

It's a review disc, not the promo disc. Supposedly has some minor code difference.

Everywhere I hear that I should use both DIC and another program to double check if the dump result is the same. Which program is best partner to DIC? CloneCD, IMGburn, 120alchohol, or what they're all named again...

10. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

The 708 and 712 are both compatible, use either of them.

>Everywhere I hear that I should use both DIC and another program to double check if the dump result is the same.

We've dumped nearly 10,000 unique PSX discs (and many more verifications), there is no app as thoroughly tested as DIC/DICUI for dumping PSX discs. Also, those other apps don't correct audio write offset, so they produce imperfect dumps for any discs with audio tracks anyway.

I hope you will consider submitting the results of your dump to redump.org for datting. More info here > "Submitting Info to Redump.org database" and you can find us here on Discord if you have any troubleshooting questions.

11. TheManThatTellsTheTruth

TheManThatTellsTheTruth Member

@Diablodin Well, if you check the MWD header, we can easily identify the build's date.

12. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

@TheManThatTellsTheTruth I'll check it out once I've dumped it, unless I can without. Anyway, I hope start as soon as I get how, and I have the time. :)

@dizzzy Ok. I see the 116A isn't verified, andI was just wondering because the 708A makes a lot of noise, heats up and seems to me like it's struggling a bit.... Takes 2-3 times as long to read a disc as well.... Any model you can recommend? I might consider looking for one on Ebay or something.
    And you're saying it's not necessary with another cross-check program other than DIC? Even for PS2?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  13. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

The 708 can sound like a jet engine, but I'm surprised it's taking 2-3 times as long. Maybe due to the Plextor's error checking feature. For CD-Rom dumping, any on this list should be fine (CD-Rom section).

>And you're saying it not necessary with another cross-check program other than DIC? Even for PS2?
    It's not necessary to check stable, the program is more well tested for disc dumping than any other app. PS2 (mostly DVD-Rom) is a super simple format, and even less can go "wrong" unless the disc is very scratched: in which case you want to dump twice with DICUI and compare hashes. But DVD is a pretty resilient format, and will usually error anyway if it can't be perfectly read. But DVD format doesn't have an error checking mechanism like CD-Rom has (c2) so if you're paranoid dump twice for DVD, both times with DIC/DICUI.

14. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

1. Yeah. It just made feel uneasy about having very valuable discs in there while it acts out like in rage/panic...

2. But I've been thinking about dumping with a low read speed to make thinking it'll help get all the data.
    Is it necessary? Will it enhance readability, or have a higher chance of reading old or scratched discs? I have some discs which are very scratched. A few with cracks even.
    And on top of that, it'll be enough to dump a disc twice as to see if I get the same result twice? But what if I get two imperfect, but identical dumps? Is there a chance for that? Then I won't be able to tell.

3. Ok, I'll just stick to DIC then. What's the difference between DIC and DICUI anyway? Is it essentially the same thing?
    And there's a lot of small details I want to make sure I understand before I start, if you don't mind helping me. I'm maybe playing more dumb than I need to be, but I want to make sure I get this right and that I know why, so I remember, and so I don't have to run the discs too many times.

15. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

1. Dumping at a low speed will help.
    2. A low speed can help on scratched discs (speed 8 is good), but again CD-Rom has error checking so any errors should would in the error log.
    >A few with cracks even.
    Dumping with /c2 disabled will help "recover" what can't be read due to cracks. You can only disable c2 in the CLI version though, so you might prefer to use ISO Buster for anything with errors.
    >And on top of that, it'll be enough to dump a disc twice as to see if I get the same result twice? But what if I get two imperfect, but identical dumps? Is there a chance for that?
    c2 error logs should have you covered (for CD/CD-Rom only). Alternately there's an indevelopment app called Disc Image Chef that will combine the non-erroring parts, but usually a professional resurfacing job is your best bet. We've recovered many discs including one with a deep knife slash, although that was Wii so more resilient than CD-Rom.

3. What's the difference between DIC and DICUI
    DIC is the CLI version. DICUI has a UI, but uses the DIC executable. You can fine tune some things with DIC CLI version, but DICUI version has all the "best" settings and presets ready to go. If you're comfy with the CLI, feel free to use DIC. Personally I prefer the ease of DICUI.

16. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

I'll get back to you soon. I'm in the middle of buying and making dinner etc.
    But will you be available later today? It's 5:20 PM in Norway atm, so I'll be up for a while and hope to get started dumping later today, but I want clear off some details first.

17. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

I tend to be around, but direct message is better than forum posts. Download Discord app if you're not on it already. It's for Windows/Mac/iPhone/Android and even works in web browsers https://discord.gg/Drjcnyp

Diablodin likes this.
  18. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Meet you there. Got things set up

19. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member