[HELP] Original Xbox SCART RGB cable gives green screen

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by americandad, Sep 25, 2017.

1. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Thanks a lot! I'll be testing this later tonight

2. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

The Xbox dash has no setting for that. You're on your own for 3rd party dashes.

3. americandad

But since you're saying that "it's possible the system is actually outputting YPbPr component" I kind of figured you'd be familiar with it?

4. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

RGB or component is detected at the AV connector pins. The Xbox outputs what it thinks the cable is, not by using a software menu option.

5. americandad

Well, I did this. It didn't change the picture being green tinted. Something else changed though, now all directories, in Filezilla, are shown as
    June 21 1981 C
    June 21 1981 E
    June 21 1981 F
    etc

Found this over at another forum though

6. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

I'd had the same problem with FileZilla too and UnleashX 0.39.0528A Build 584 until I installed the latest Filezilla version 3.28.0. The extraneous date text no longer shows up 4 me at the root directory listing the partition drive letters. I'll check again as I'd see it go away for a short time then return. Always had to use the Remote site: box to key in /C, /E etc. to get into a drive. Once a drive was entered, the garbage text disappeared and traversing the directory tree worked fine until backing out to the top-level to change to a different drive letter.

Update: Still no garbage date text in root directory listing of Filezilla 3.28.0 with the latest UnleashX 0.39.0528A Build 584 which is installed as the default dashboard with Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool.

If you still have the problem, install UnleashX 0.39.0222A Build 572 as an app and start it before FTPing.

As to the green tint, everyone except you, after upgrading their softmod with Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool Quick Upgrade package and rebooting the Xbox, the off-color problem was gone.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    americandad likes this.
  7. americandad

Yeah, I have the latest FileZilla. Rocky5 did say that this issue only appeared with FileZilla and not other FTP clients, though.
    So it's not a big issue.

I'm hoping that the SCART cable is defective, so I've ordered a new one. Will report back on that in a month or two, whenever the cable gets here from China.

8. americandad

@KaosEngineer @Lum @_XBOX_
    So, I just tested out the new RGB cable and it works flawlessly.
    In other words the fault was with the other rgb cable. I'm guessing one or more of the pins in the SCART connector are placed wrong.
    Do you guys know which one it might be?
    [​IMG]

9. KaosEngineer

These AVIP diagrams may help determine where there's a bad connection/misplaced wire.
    xboxavippinouttr0.png
    The switches in the following diagram show which of the three mode select pins are grounded for that video cable configuration.
    odRIA8b.gif
    Check gamesx.com for another table showing the video modes selected by grounding various combinations of Mode Select 1,2 and 3 pins.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    americandad likes this.
  10. americandad

I was thinking that the pins on the SCART side of the cable are mixed up, nott on the side of the XBOX connector. Since that RGB SCART cable has composite output in the middle of it, and composite works fine.

11. KaosEngineer

Check the Xbox AVIP to SCART pinout at http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm#xbox.

Is there a switch on the cable?

The composite output should only work if a different set of Mode Select 1,2,3 pins is grounded. RGB out requires all Mode Select pins to be grounded (pins 17-19). Composite either pin 17 for NTSC Stereo and pin 17 and 18 for PAL Stereo. (http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm)

Wait I see, SCART output enabled has R, G, B and V - composite video out too.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    americandad likes this.
  12. americandad

But, how would you place the pins wrongly in such a way that the video would have a green tint?..

13. KaosEngineer

Don't think you could.

Only GREEN tint I've seen is when VGA mode with sync-on-green was enabled in nDURE/NKPatcher via menu option for HD configuration during softmod installation.

Maybe pin 17 isn't GROUNDED, output Y Pr Pb (Component) instead of R G B for SCART. But if so, composite video should not work as Xbox only has Y Pr Pb and no V composite signal out.

14. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

I have such a scart cable as well and can confirm it outputs composite video and SCART RGB at the same time. At first I thought that the SCART connector would GND some of the "3 cable detect" inputs when it was plugged in, so that the xbox was seeing a different AVIP cable, but it's not the case. The composite video is being output at the same time as the RGB signals. There is no difference with the SCART connector plugged in or not. Unleashx shows the same AVIP cable type.

americandad likes this.