[HELP] Original Xbox SCART RGB cable gives green screen

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by americandad, Sep 25, 2017.

1. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

I have this RGB cable for my original xbox. The thing is, it gives a sort of green filter.
    I guess that all colors are there, but it's like everything is tilted to look more green.
    It's exactly like when you connect a PS2 or PS3 via RGB without setting it up in settings first.
    But, I don't see such a setting in Xbox dash or XBMC.
    What am I doing wrong?

2. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

How is your system modded? softmodded and RGB mode enabled.

RGB mode is actually VGA mode with sync on GREEN. Wrong setting in the softmod video configuration.

Read: NKP RGB nDure option botched and fixed (external link - forums.afterdawn.com)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    americandad likes this.
  3. americandad

I used "Hexen - Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc" to install the softmod. Not sure what particular method it uses.
    Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at it and report back.

4. KaosEngineer

Nor do I. I've only used Rocky5's latest v1.1.2 Xbox Softmodding Tool to softmod Xbox's. (source repo: https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodding-Tool)

When installing the softmod did it ask you any questions? (Video mode options, etc).

5. americandad

It wasn't a softmod per se, more of installing a softmod to a new hdd (hdd upgrade without pc or additional xbox).
    The only video option you're given is PAL or NTSC, and since my box is PAL that's what I chose.

Here's a screenshot and a quote from an iso site that is forbidden to link to:

6. KaosEngineer

What A/V cable is plugged into your Xbox? I see RGB cable. Which? Is it one of these?

Xbox High Definition AV pack.jpg Original Xbox HighDef Component Cable.jpg

PAL doesn't have high-definition support until you use EnigmaH Video Switcher or softmod's NKPatcher Tools to change to NTSC video mode.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. americandad

Oh, it's none of those. It's an RGB SCART cable, with additional composite out.

8. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

On a normal PAL xbox, the option switches video between 576i @ 50Hz, or 480i @ 60Hz.

Normal NTSC systems can't select 50hz. They instead have an option for component in 480i / 480p / 720p / 1080i. (I don't think it affects any other kind of cable?)

But regardless of PAL or NTSC, Xbox does not officially support progressive or high-definition RGB SCART output. I'd start narrowing down the problem by setting the system back to 480i.

Edit: While I'm not 100% sure how VGA mods work, it's true most monitors don't support sync-on-green.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  9. americandad

Oh, I think both of you have misunderstood me. This has nothing to do with VGA or HD. I'm talking about regular RGB SD (standard definition).

[​IMG]

10. KaosEngineer

Probably so, as I'm in the States and haven't a PAL box or any display with SCART connections.

Most times, the green tint is caused by the softmod enabling VGA output instead of plain RGB.

E:\NKP11\video.bin

with the text inside '01' or '1' (without the quotation marks). clears things up.

May also require "E:\NKP11\eeprom_off.bin" - an empty file - to disable the virtual EEPROM to allow the video.bin file to work. Presence of the file signals the softmod to disable the virtual EEPROM option.

Does it look like the second PAL picture Rocky5 posted on xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/?

Recommend that you upgrade to Rocky5's latest Xbox Softmodding Tool Build v1.1.2.

You can either
    1. Download the Extras disk image and burn it to DVD-R. boot the disc and follow the menus to perform the softmod upgrade, or
    2. Download the Installer Variants\Quick Upgrade.zip, extract and follow the instructions in the Read Me.txt file included in the archive.

americandad likes this.
  11. americandad

Yep, pretty much. Thanks for all the links. I'll be looking into nkpatcher more closely as soon as I get home, later this week.

12. KaosEngineer

I don't have that older HeXEn disc to check what LXHDM installs for the softmod. The menu option on the disk should have an "Instructions" section. But as there's a lot of talk about the nDure softmod that uses NKPatcher. There may be a way to change the video options using the HeXEn disk. I see it listed as an option under one of the previous menu options. (HeXEn menu structure outlined here: http://128bit.me/index.php?topic=24742.0)

Clear up any problems using Rocky5's installer variant "Quick Upgrade.zip" clears the old default dashboard and replaces it with UnleashX. The "Quick Update.zip" installer variant leaves your current default dashboard and upgrades the softmod backend.

Or, the Xbox Softmodding Tool Extras disc.

13. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Yes, that's fine enough when you're using an SDTV.

14. americandad

Sure it is. The problem is that the picture is green though.

15. _XBOX_

_XBOX_ Rising Member

Try to get the official cable from Microsoft, the difference in picture quality is like day and night.
    [​IMG]

16. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

I suppose it's possible the system is actually outputting YPbPr component.
    That is what happens when DVD movies turn green on a PS2.

americandad likes this.
  17. americandad

Ah, well. I'll look into it later this week, when I'm back home. Now that I've got a bunch of advice from you guys I'll have to look into them advices :p

18. americandad

How do i change this? Where do I look? There's nothing in Xbox dash or XBMC about this..

19. americandad

Where do I get this?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  20. KaosEngineer

Xbox Softmod Kit Updates/Build v1.1.2/Installer Variants/Quick Upgrade.zip

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    americandad likes this.