*Help Needed* Editing Levels In A Saturn Game

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by Shinigami, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Shinigami

Shinigami Rapidly Rising Member

Hello peeps! I have had the Sonic Xtreme ROM for quite a while and, as those of you who have seen or played it, the level is very small and boring. I want to get into the files, find the level, and model a new big one for better playing/testing. I have been able to open the .bin and .cue files with UltraISO, but the only files inside are "0" and "1". They don't even have a file extension. Does anybody know how to open these files?

2. Shinigami

Still need help guys!

3. vbt

vbt Spirited Member

0 is the main binary/app

4. Shinigami

Thanks, but i need to know how to open it and find the 3d level model thing

5. AlexRMC92

AlexRMC92 Site Supporter 2013

You may never be able to do it.

Some things to consider.

1. How is 0 compiled?
    2. How does the compiler store assets (compression / encryption?)
    3. Are these assets of a standard file type the the program knows how to decode? or are they of a non standard format?
    4. Depending on how the code is compiled you cant change file size without a lot of work in assembly (not to mention saturn dual proc assembly).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  6. vbt

vbt Spirited Member

7. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

This is something I would like to know as well. I know for a fact that the Metal Sonic boss stage 3D wall model is in that demo. ( screens were shown by a hacker named SANiK who never shared the model)
    Also on my forum we found textures that may or may not be visible within the stage. If you find something please let me know !

Skip past the Sonic Jam stuff
    http://www.sonic-xtreme.com/forums//viewtopic.php?id=515

One of the mystery VDP2 textures that was found. (its using a temporary pallet since we don't know what the pallet was)
    [​IMG]
    And for a comparison so you can understand how detail is missing on the above pic , I'll post this photoshop overlay showing the raw rip of the boss stage floor and the detail texture overlaid on top.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013