Help me find this game!

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by SmithyB, Mar 9, 2018.

1. SmithyB

SmithyB Member

I once played a game on a rip off plug n' play console, you know, one of those made in china 10,000 in one games consoles that in actuality only had 150 games. And for several years now I have been attempting to search for it, but cant find it either due to the obscurity of the game, or because im not asking in the right locations

hopefully this forum can help me out. I don't have any images of the game, nor do I even know the title, I only remember what I played of it. So it wont be easy to find this game, just so you know ahead of time...

the console I played it on was a plug n' play, like I mentioned before, even the console I currently cant find an image of on google, due to how many rip off consoles there are out there. however this plug n' play console did have a few distinct features that I can remember about it.

• It was blue, almost entirely except for the buttons on the controllers
    • there were several different controllers for it, all were resembeling other console controllers, such as a Nintendo 64 controller, a snes controller, and even a light gun
    • despite it clearly not being an official product, you could plug official games into it (either nes or snes, I cant remember which)
    • the official games could be plugged into the console, or into the N64 controller
    • even if you didn't plug an official game into the console, the console came packed with a ludicrous amount of games inside the console already. I cant remember the exact number, but it was a large amount nonetheless, but obviously there wasn't that many games on the console in actuality, only around 100+, repeated in the list either with new names or otherwise

Now with the console out of the way, here's what I remember about the game in question:

• It was a sideways scrolling beat em up, however, it wasn't strictly horizontal from left to right. the players could move freely around the screen while eventually fighting through enemies before they had to move onto the next screen, the next screen being in any of the four directions. some sections were strictly one direction, for instance in one scene you had to climb a skyscraper, and the screen would only go upwards.
    • It was four player, with four distinct characters each with a different attack pattern & weapon. These characters were ninjas, each represented by a single color (I know this sounds a lot like teenage mutant ninja turtles, but trust me its not). something each character shared however is that they were all puppets (atleast that's how I think they were), although you wouldn't know this, except for when they are depicted on the character select screen, when they aren't highlighted, they fall back down as if they were a marionette who wasn't being controlled by a puppeteer. I think the plot also explained that they were puppets too at some point.
    • the game was highly stylized with a cartoonish style, most of the characters and enemies had over exaggerated features, an example of one that I can remember were these fat mobsters, who were introduced as a boss enemy, and then later in the game appeared as regular enemies. extremely obese, when defeated their stomachs would tear open like a balloon
    • the game involved the supernatural, such as satanic cult's, ghosts, and zombies. I believe the last few levels, or maybe just the last one, involved the afterlife, during which you would fight ghostly or zombified versions of previous enemies you have fought before, much stronger than before of course. An enemy introduced early in the game were cult members, who wore colored robes each color representing how much health they had. these guys also threw shit at you from the windows in the previously mentioned skyscraper scene.
    • one specific boss I distinctly remember was a zombie in a mech suit, somewhat like the power loader seen in the alien franchise (you know, the one Ripley used to kill the alien queen in Aliens). He was fought at the end of a construction site level, and as far is I remember, he wasn't seen again as a rehashed enemy in the later levels unlike other bosses/enemies

And that's pretty much all I can remember about the game, although one other thing I think I remember was that the logo of the developer was a bee, although I could be mixing that from other memories, so unlike everything else mentioned here, don't take that as fact.

Now since this game was on a rip off plug n' play console, it could very much just be a reskin of another game, although I highly doubt that, it is still a possibility.

And with that, I have typed all the information I could remember about the game at this point and time. Like I said, ive been searching for this game for years, so lot's of my memory about the game has kind of faded away over the years. Any help at all would be most appreciated, and if you manage to find the exact game im looking for, I dont know how I could repay you, but ill find a way.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Zant likes this.
  2. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

I'm assuming the games were of NES quality right? Not super Nintendo or better?

3. SmithyB

SmithyB Member

cant really remember most of the games on there. I know the original Super Mario was on there, but it could have been a mix of NES and SNES. one thing I do know is it was all 2D, no modern 3D. Like, you wouldn't see Super Mario 64 quality games on there for example.

one of the controllers for the rip off console WERE vaguely SNES like...

4. SmithyB

SmithyB Member

so I think I found a picture of the console itself. im almost certain this is the console in question

[​IMG]

the blue one is the one I had, although the box could have been different. red one is biggest image I could find...

Now that we have the console, we just need to find the game in question

5. Asure

Asure Member

Ninjas that look like puppets
    Fight satanic cult
    Smells like taito ninja kids to me.
    Thought it was konami game with 4 ninjas first.

Was ninja kids ever on a nes (clone)?

6. SmithyB

SmithyB Member

THAT IS THE GAME!

my god, so many years and finally someone finds it

I cant find a wiki page for it, anyone know what consoles this game was released for? if it has a pc release?

Zant and DeChief like this.
  7. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

8. SmithyB

SmithyB Member

9. SmithyB

SmithyB Member

yep, this is the game alright.

fat mobsters, zombie in a power loader, ninja puppets... its all here =]

10. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Then I guess you can now change your tagline haha.

11. Asure

Asure Member

Good to see I nailed this.

From your description of the console it would seem like some sort of dream device. Plug a game into a n64 controller? Where do I sign up for this machine?

Also I find it hard to believe this machine did not exist as your description of the game itself is spot on.

Where and when did you see & play this?