(Help) How to add Icons to HDLoader/KERMIT Games on PS2 HDD-OSD

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by vash32, Oct 20, 2012.

1. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Are you using the MBR meant for PSBBN ? lol

2. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Nope. I only use the PSBBN MBR when I build dual intallations (HDD-OSD + PSBBN on the same HDD), cause the PSBBN needs its MBR to execute struff. The installation you see in this video uses your FHDB POC (OPL was replaced with a LBA48 patched hosdsys for testing).

3. l_oliveira

It seems like you're the only person who figured out the *REAL* purpose of that POC release ! ;)

I got a lot of crap from noobies at that thread ... -_-;

4. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

5. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

Hi!

If we managed the krHACKen DVD to boot without chip this would really rock!

Rgds.

6. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Well, I've executed that very same thing from a USB drive with uLe and had sound. It might be due to the fact my 2nd stage loader does not flush the memory before it executes the embedded ELF hahahah. A properly coded loader will eat more space in the KELF container to the detriment of the embedded ELF.

Thanks for the advice ! The emu was able to run my PAL dump of RR4 with a SCPH-1000 BIOS dump.

There it is :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzj_gIY2WkU
    STR and XA play fine, minor glitch on main menu. In game : missing textures and wireframes (looks like Auto Modellista sometimes hehe)... Oh, and it crashed once, while loading the "demonstration" mode.
    I've disabled the sound during the capture, because I've SetGsCrt to PAL, and it caused disastrous "audio cuts" to keep the A/V on sync. The game being PAL and the emu being NTSC, the screen position was messy. I remember playing with "Zapper 2k" to patch my Net Yaroze EXEs in NTSC and inject them in the PS1 BIOS a while ago. Screen adjustment was a pain in the ass.

And I'm affraid I'm the only person who realized the importance of your contribution and how it's sad that a bunch of faggots flooded the thread with childlish and abusive posts :( . Pfffff...

Some people are sharing customized dumps of the HDD-OSD and call these things "Free HD Boot"... May I suggest'em another name ? "Pirate HDDOSD Boot", self explanatory. There's nothing "free" in dumped HDD-OSD installations. It's Giant Enemy Crab's copyrighted code from A to Z. Just my opinion but I think calling HDD-OSD dumps "Free HD Boot" is a bad idea. Any legal HDD-OSD replacement would be drowned into the pirate shitpile because of this, not to mention that it's a bit discouraging for devs that are working on the background.

I've so much things to say regarding these morons that I prefer to not....
    Recently I started writing an app that embeds ELFs in your POC. It also creates raw HDD-OSD installation images from the Utility Disc INSTALL.PAK.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNs7oD8VLaA
    It does not comply to the begging noobs standards (cannot crypt, hash nor sign KELFs/KIRXes) so I think I'll not release it.

FMCB + CogSwap/ZoneLoader/uLe/Swap Magic should work (but nor ESR).

Un[soft]modified unit owners can still plug their HDD to a PC and write one of the many HDD dumps that have been posted "somewhere".

As for MC installable files, they can be bind to your PS2 Memcard with ps3mca and the official MC adaptor thing... if you've found the deobfuscated BIEXEC-SYSTEM/BxEXEC-DVDPLAYER wobbles that have been posted "somewhere"

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  7. root670

root670 Robust Member

Has conan14's emulator method been released publicaly? Can't find anything about it.

8. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

You are too dramatic in this question )) Everybody know that all free apps is posted in psx-scene. The data that isn't posted there - isn't copyright free. It's simple.
    As for question about HDD booting problem - ok we can use free MBR - no problem cause it has same functionality as SONY mbr, and ok we can use some free program for booting from MBR such a OPL or ULE, but... But now ther e is no way for making KryptoELF and and even if it was we cannot use KELFs cause they aren't copyright free. As i know there is only one fully free program that can be boot from mbr - miniopl but it is not serious. So it seems that there is at least one part that connot be replaced with free code.
    maybe but this is commercial emulator and possible that he is tested and build only for his bios :) Of course we can you use 2 elfs for testing...
    guys please post your test results into my online spreadsheet - it is opened for everyone who has direct link. Game copying is very long - so it can be very useful to make this list together.

9. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Yes it is. But some noobs are still not getting it and keep disturbing devs for something they'll never have unless they code it themselves.

Such "Homemade" KELFs (not trojaned DVDELFs which are Giant Enemy Crab owned) would be free of right, depending to the license of the program that is written to; BUT the distribution of the Krypographic program used for making them will inexorably unleash Zoony's great vengeance and furious anger.

Did you miss the "Evil" build of uLe ? That KELF can be used as a container for your ELF and has 427584 bytes of usable space. Replace uLe with an ELF launcher and KELF building discussions are over:05.18-flustered:.
    Oh, there's a slightly bigger KELF and a small KIRX somewhere too (the KIRX is super useful for booting ELFs with a launcher from PATINFO)...
    Guys who were unfairly insulted at the said thread released almost everything the end-user needs for app launch from the PS2HDD and the PS2MC.

10. l_oliveira

Unfortunately we were unable to release brain updates. :\

Edit: Who knows ? Maybe someday ... :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  11. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

Hi!

If there would be a howto or something like that, people would be more creative and that could boost this theme.

The discussion until now happened over years (!).
    Much too long for a normal user.

@Leonard
    Any news about the rgb/green fix for the dvdplayer?
    ;)

Rgds.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  12. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Knowing the details of the RPC hack would be a good start to the making of a generic softmod/launcher for the DVD Player. Things I've mentioned in my previous posts are inaccurate. I'm currently writing a DOS app which scans unpacked DVDELFs for DVD-Video region checks and "sabotage" routines. Will post it with src, documentation and 2 embedded-DVDELF launchers (one for FAT DVDELFs, the other for Slimline DVDPL#s) as soon as possible.

@SP193. I received your email. Sorry for not replying. I have to verify a few things before, because it's been awhile I didn't mess with that stuff.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  13. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

Hi, there!

Okay, i am currently testing a little bit the found (!) HDD dumps. I miss these before...
    And, works like a charme.
    :D

Rgds.

14. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Holy swap

And for those wanting to boot SUDC3 without a modchip/FMCB/Swap Magic DVD/FIXMBR ELF, here are some raw MBR replacements (as long as you are OK to mod your CDVD tray for swapping pressed disc and SUDC3) :
    - ULE_442B.IMG
    - COGSWAP.IMG
    - ZONELOADER.IMG
    Based on the FHDB POC (Kudos to l_oliveira), contain no 5ony copyrighted code nor commercial software. If authors of the above softwares don't want them to be redistributed in this form, just let me know and I'll delete the files from the server.

uLe is the best option (if you get a RSOD whilst running a SUD, format your HDD with uLe's HddManager).
    ZoneLoader cannot run SUDC3 for some reason.
    CogSwapLoader is OK. But in case of RSOD, use the uLe MBR dump and format your HDD.

1) Backup your entire __mbr partition (for safety).
    2) Use HDD Raw Copy Tool (or similar) to write XXX.IMG to your PS2HDD
    3) Restore your existing partitions (if any) using WinHIIP (Utilities / Scan/Repair PS2 Drive)
    4) Put your PS2HDD in your PS2, turn your console on, insert a pressed disc
    5) Go to uLe's Configuration menu, turn Disc control on and validate changes
    6) Do teh swap trick, execute the main ELF and voilà
    May result in data loss. Mess-up with raw HDD data at your own risk. No one on earth will take the responsibility of the worst case scenario that could happen.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  15. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

It's posted on psxplanet...
    ... but if you Google search for "PP.P0PS-00001" or "P0PS-00001" (replace the zero in P0PS with O), perhaps you'll find links to some recently uploaded 7zip archive:victorious:...

I've compiled a "container" for the emulator : POPS1_CONTAINER.7z
    No SCE copyrighted stuff in it. It's a loader which patches the emu (the emu is not included) so it can run with an unofficial HDD and your modified PS1 disc image. The IMGDRV is ffgrievers', not 5onys'.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  16. root670

root670 Robust Member

Sweet, thanks! I'll try that out sometime this week if I get a chance.

17. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

Ahoy!

Is it so?

Haven't tested it until now.
    Is there still the need to modify the first sectors of the dump?
    Or more mods?

I miss this. Any hint where to find?

And now something completely different:
    Is it possible the mini-opl has any dma probs?
    When running it with Ratchet2 the loading times are VERY long.
    Testing the same partition with the normal opl there's no problem...

Rgds.

18. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Yes. The PS1 game dump (MYDUMP.BIN) must have the disc0 special header and have to be SCEJ licensed.
    The launcher patches the ATA device driver for unofficial HDDs to be accepted + changes the path "%s/disc/disc0" to "MYDUMP.BIN" (root of the partition). It doesn't mod anything else.
    Dirty src of the launcher : Edit, link's dead, will reup asap

I PM you that in a few mins, EDIT : Done, ckeck your PMs
    BTW, the KIRX I've mentioned is not a KIRX but a KELF, my bad.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  19. l_oliveira

He understood the nature of it, how it worked and was able to use it for something different.

Regarding MINI OPL, it has code to intentionally slow down the simulated DISC access.

That is the nature of the fix I put on CDVDMAN (slow it down to a speed similar to that of a real DVD disc).

20. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Interesting.
    The loading times are really extreme.

Can't remember how opl saves the config for games.
    As the hdl do?

Rgds.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013