(Help) How to add Icons to HDLoader/KERMIT Games on PS2 HDD-OSD

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by vash32, Oct 20, 2012.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Spirited Member

@richi92: Does POPS works on any other game in your set-up?
    Is anybody here willing to share some icons for the most popular apps, like uLe, HDLoader etc?
    Thanx in advance ;)

2. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

i got some other games booting, but only one is playabe so far.

is this normal that you have to press the power button on ps2 to start the game?
    because if i dont press the power button the screen stays black, but i'm still able to return to the browser in most cases via the igr button combo, so pops itself is starting/running somehow but it refuses to start the game until i press the power button.o_O my ps2 is a SCPH-50004

3. szczuru

szczuru Spirited Member

Is there any way to hide HDL partitions from Browser? Sometimes i have a lot games + apps in ODS2 and browser is loading sooooo long...

4. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

you would need to remove the "PP." prefix from the partitions.

5. RandQalan

RandQalan Rapidly Rising Member

Same here I have not got R11 to work properly myself on my 50001

6. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

DOH:wink-new:. I've absolutely no idea why this thing happens on SCPH-5000#. Odd...
    Do you guys have a modchip ? What's your boot method ? Is there a disc in the CDVD drive ?

7. RandQalan

RandQalan Rapidly Rising Member

Nope HDD 2.00 Browser or FMCB only no mod here

8. blueheaven

I just tested this strange behavior: on my SCPH-30004R with Matrix and SCPH-30004R without everything is ok.
    However on my SCPH-50004 black and SCPH-50004 silver, the screen stays black and you have to press the power button to start the game...
    Tested with Tekken 2 SLUS-00213; the game is working fine on all consoles, so it doesn't seem to affect the game compatibility.

Edit: PAL consoles running HDD OSD browser 2.00 without fmcb.
    It seems like some PS models are affected by this.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  9. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

@KrHacken, the power button issues an interrupt. So perhaps there is a deadlock on either the EE or IOP (most likely the former), which gets freed when the interrupt gets asserted.

And that series seems to have a problem with the CD/DVD drive causing freezes (since the hardware would never be considered in a ready state) if certain N-commands are sent to it while there isn't a disc inserted, like the STOP or STANDBY command.

10. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Thank you SP193.

I see...
    If I understood the behaviour that Richi reported, POPS is fully inited when the console hangs. The L1+Start+Select menu being accessible means that the emu did load all it's modules and mounted disc0...
    Before the container launches the emu, partitions are unmounted, CDVD and fileXio are de-inited, the IOP is reset with the POPS IOPRP, SIF register flags are cleared and ranges of the EE RAM are cleaned.
    Weird that the problem happens once the emulation has started. Such issue should normally happen during the container execution (while you see debug crap on screen), as everything get sanitized prior the execution of the emulator.
    OK then, I finish fixing bugs in CUE2POPS, test then release the archive, then I'll see what I can do to get rid of that 50k problem...

EDIT : @RandQalan and blueheaven, can you try this please ? Insert a PlayStation 2 game before you launch POPStarter to see if it "bypass" the need of pressing the Power/Reset button. Thank you.

11. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

thanks for looking into it! my ps2 is un-modded aswell. i noticed, that, when you start the emulator the first time, you have to press the power button to start the actual game,
    but after you startet the game and use the igr to go back to the browser(hdd-osd, didnt test this on ps-bbn) and relaunch the emulator, then the game starts without problems directly without pressing the power button, but if you instead try to launch a different partition like "ulaunch" after you exited the emulator via igr, it freezes, and i have to shut down the console.

12. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Thanks for the detailed report.
    uLe queries the CDVD drive at startup, so yes, if the issue is related to N-Commands, uLe cannot get the drive status and freezes. What happens if the partition isn't uLe but another POPS installed game (different than the previous one you've executed) ?

And could SCPH-5000X owners run POPS-00001 properly without having to press the power button ?

13. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

Yes (SCPH-50004 PAL).

14. blueheaven

Tested with original PS2 disc in the drive on SCPH-50004 and pops starts without problems..
    After the initial start with the disc in the drive and running a game you can go back to the browser. Eject the disc and the next pops game will run without pressing the power button.

On another SCPH-50004 with a disc-read error problem, and an original PS2 disc in the tray, pops doesn't start, so the drive/laser must be working.

15. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

I can it you like?
    I have a great looking OPL and uLe icon.. also I make a HDloader icon as well. (May not be the best looking icon.)

OPL Icon by fresh: http://www.mediafire.com/?9da1jd6fzxd2s9i
    [​IMG]

I can give more links to other icons, if you like?

16. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

Hi!

Niiice opl-icon. :smile-new:

FYI:
    Berion and i had probs with color gradients. It was the 32-,24-,16-bit texture conversion.
    After months i found a solution for that...

Rgds.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  17. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Textures are 32 bits, 128x128. XnView is the finest software I've used to resample textures for my objects.

18. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

Ahoy!

Creating and working with textures (3d-objects) is normally 24bit, or 24bit plus 8bit alpha channel.
    The final icons have 16bit textures.

So working with the normal converting tools you'll get horrible icon color gradients. This happen due to the fact the tools want 24bit(+) textures, convert them to 16bit and ruin your work.

Rgds.

19. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

I thought that the icon textures are 128x128, 16-bit? AA1 must be enabled, but RLE compression is optional.

20. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

I dont know if that could be useful to you guys, but when I was creating themes for Sony Ericsson phones, last past 3 years, there were usually problems with using gradients.
    We used to break the "color banding" effect on gradients using some plugin to diphter (add noise) to gradients.

More info here : http://www.myforum.lasyk.net/showpost.php?p=308717&postcount=1