(Help) How to add Icons to HDLoader/KERMIT Games on PS2 HDD-OSD

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by vash32, Oct 20, 2012.

1. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Like I said HDL DUMB is a frontend for HDL DUMP. There's a copy of hdl dump inside of the exe which is unpacked and run in a hidden process (no window) as a command line application and that message simply means the command line application was not found. Obviously the OS won't allow such a thing to happen if a program has no privileges to execute another program.

2. MXV

MXV Member

Two Hurdle's down

Thanks for the info, I finally have an Icon for the OSD! :encouragement: Shame BBN is still being a right pain in the...

I got it working, Thanks

Ok can you elaborate? how I could sort this out? Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with setting up games for the BBN.

Is that tag at 1B47D for hdl_dump_091.exe cmd line version or 19440 in dumb?

Cheers for the help guys.

3. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

The fields at partition information region will be checked throughly for mistakes. If anything is wrong the partition will show up as corrupted data.
    Also you can't properly insert PSBBN format icon data on a HDL partition as there's no PFS section in it. If there's a method to shove PSBBN format icon data on PATINFO zone it was not discovered yet.

So HDL partitions will show up on PSBBN with the boring generic GAME icon PSBBN has for legacy content...

4. MXV

MXV Member

Ah I see, I'm guessing there's no other way round that. Well I'll just have to settle for what's already working.

5. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

Ok i compile hdl_dump with ability to inject MBR.KELF into __mbr partition.
    Syntax:
    hdl_dump initialize hdd2: (also works with network interface)
    Do the same as previous "initialize" but inject MBR.KELF. So the only thing we need - tool for making MBR.KELF from any ELF file.
    P.S. - be careful. Firstly run hdl_dump query if you are trying to inject data into local hdd.

EDIT:
    First of all i found an error in my code which results to incorrect checksum generation. So I fully rewrite initialize function.

Now it just injects MBR.KELF into the end of MBR partition (at offset 0x7F4D400)
    Link
    This MBR - just the simple uLaunchelf v4.42b

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  6. tungvo

tungvo Newly Registered

Does this work with WinHIIP?...Or just hdl_dumb...Because transferring game thru network is really slow.

7. RandQalan

RandQalan Rapidly Rising Member

Works only with hdl_dump for now and if you use the right server it is reasonable fast a 4G game only takes about 20 min

8. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

As you know you can transfer game by hdl_dump the same way as WinHIIP. I mean locally attached hdd also supported.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  9. RandQalan

10. tungvo

tungvo Newly Registered

Wow!! I cant believe I missed that, it was right on top. I just assumed that hdl_dump was network only... Thanks AKuHAK for pointing that out. Sorry if this been asked before, Is there a program where i can change the icon or is hex editing the only way?...If so how would I go about doing it, is there a tutorial somewhere.

11. RandQalan

With his prior version not sure about this one just put MC ICON named icon.bin or another compatible ICON in folder before you install it will use it during install already

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  12. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

Ok here is new version which can inject any partition info in any existing partition.
    http://rghost.ru/45612616
    It can operate system.cnf, icon.sys, list.ico, del.ico, boot.kelf, boot.elf, boot.kirx.

13. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Thanks, great work! No more looking for partitions now!:congratulatory:

14. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

did i miss something ? werent following the hole thing for long time, can you now install "bootable Partitions/Bootable Games" without the need of a hex editor now? o_O

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  15. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

You can now install it even without unplugging hdd from ps2 ^^

16. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

cool! then, can someone be so kind and point me to some information?
    unplugging hdd from ps2 sucks, have been doing this in the past for too long :p

17. blueheaven

blueheaven Spirited Member

Get the [IOP] PKTDRV.elf from SP193 (it's the fastest PS2 side server for HDLDump).

Get ule_patinfo_inj_package test from AKuHAK for installing attributes to an already created partition on your PS2.
    (You can install the attributes again to the same partition if you did something wrong).
    just put all atributes like icon and icon info and boot.kelf or boot.elf in the folder.

Example comand line:
    hdl_dump.exe modify_header 192.168.0.000 PP.YOUR_PARTITION

For installing games to the HDD OSD use hdl_dump_osd_mbr.7z
    Same principle just put your icon in that folder, you can even use the GUI version.

SMAP Driver here
    AKuHAK pakages here

For apps and POPS you only have to create your partition for HDD OSD, you know how :) To make it bootable use those tools.

18. RandQalan

You might want to use AKuHAK server too since SP193 link lead to his page without the server now :encouragement:

19. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

You can make all needed stuffs from PC by using PFSshell in cooperate with hdl_dump. The only thing that is bad - you have to alter hdl_servers ((

20. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

alright thanks's everyone! got it to work with normal apps(esr, ule, etc..) it is WAY more convenient, then the "old" method. just having problems with pops, cant get diablo(slus-00619) to boot :/ converted it to IMAGE0.VCD, but screen stays black.

Last edited: May 5, 2013