(Help) How to add Icons to HDLoader/KERMIT Games on PS2 HDD-OSD

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by vash32, Oct 20, 2012.

1. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Not the best example (I should stop playing around with the BG transparency value to begin with:witless:) but I encountered such thing :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

I didn't find anything wrong with your dbzsm.ico (other than the PS2D/PS2X diffs I've mentioned above)...
    [video=youtube_share;rC21lDCYaLg]http://youtu.be/rC21lDCYaLg[/video]

3. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

I can't see anything, sorry. The images you linked to are giving me a HTTP error 403.

In case you guys didn't bother on looking at the Sony PS2SDK.... the ranges for some of the fields (light direction, light colour and ambient light) got changed. It's no longer 0 to 1.0, but from 0 to 128.

The icon itself is useless, unless I get to know what sort of values you are using for your icon.sys file (For the HDDOSD), in comparison to the original icon.sys file (The binary version used on memory cards).

So if I am not mistaken here, are you saying that both OSD versions handle transparancy a little differently?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Oh I didn't know. Thanks very much ! I've replaced my X, Y and Z lightdir values with decimal 64. Works like a charm:encouragement:.

Yep. bgcola seems to affect only the background in the HDD browser, unlike the MC browser which does background transparency + icon transparency adjustment from the same field. Mmmm, so is the HDD browser really unable to apply a bloody alpha filter to the 3D icon:dejection:?
    As for the dynamic lighting of the icon in the HDD browser, I don't understand why it isn't that good looking in the MC browser. Jesus Christ, I've set identical values in both PS2D and PS2X:moody:.

On a side note, the HDD browser and the MC browser don't glitch the same way when putting 256+ to the transparency field...
    Not sure but looks like the MC browser ignores the transparency value if it is higher than 16 bit...

[video=youtube_share;6U_BjA_048o]http://youtu.be/6U_BjA_048o[/video]
    ESR_icon.rar

5. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

I'm thinking that Sony changed the way the icon data affects the icon. Perhaps they tightened the specs, and now the background options really affect only the icon's background (and no longer the icon itself too).

I don't know about the ICO file format, but perhaps they intended the icon's colour parameters to be strictly controlled from there instead?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

So, finally i was right. And a big thanks to krHACKen and vash32 for the super quick "graphical help" to proof the differences.
    Maybe we should talk about the differences of the osd and hdd-osd icon-config-bits, too...
    :smile-new:

Rgds.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  7. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

You don't seem to understand the point of our discussion here: The icon format was never changed. The only thing that is changed is the icon parameters file (icon.sys), and it was all documented.

The only thing that wasn't documented is why the behaviour for alpha blending got changed... although it's not surprising if it no longer affects the icon because it was named "background alpha" from the start.

My point behind this clause that you quoted from me is that we might be doing it all wrong: What if Sony had intended the icon's alpha value to be controlled from the icon file itself? It's got nothing to do with the format itself, but how we are using the format.

What "config" bits?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  8. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

Sorry, but this discussion goes for me in the wrong direction.

I said the look is different. I never said something about a "changed format".
    Interesting is the fact finally the format (parameters counts to this) has changed...

I don't have the time for that.

Have a nice day!

9. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

I've dug through the Sony documents again today, and here is what I found about the MC icons (HDD icons are supposed to be similar in function):
    1. The background alpha channel ("background transparency", as Sony calls it) value should range from 0 to 128, where 128 is fully opaque and 0 is fully transparent.
    2. The background transparency affects the opacity of the background of the icon.
    3. The icon files (*.ico) do not support alpha testing and blending.
    4. The icon files (*.ico) will use the values defined in the icon.sys file for the light sources 1-3 and the ambient settings.
    5. The GS's AA1 function will be used for anti-aliasing.

So.. what do you think? From #2 and #4, I believe that the icon getting alpha-blended in the MC browser is a bug (Or something they overlooked, but left it implemented as a 'feature' later on). But then again, I don't work for Sony so I may be wrong yet again.

:dejection:
    Nevermind. Do whatever you want.

10. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Maybe it was an error on my part... maybe I set the Hex value wrong and the icon was mostly working but having errors.

This is most of that old setup for that icon.. I'm sure the errors are in this... if it was done by me.

11. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

It looks like those values were taken from the HDLoader icon. Are these values really from that DBZ game? If not, try to port over the values used in that game's icon.sys file.

And I hope that you made a typo when pasting the contents of your icon.sys file here. The first line should be "PS2X", followed by a newline character. The title0 field MUST be at least one character long too.

12. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

It was just the setup I used and yes its from the old HDLoader icon... so maybe the error was from this. Thanks for looking at it.
    See you.

13. MXV

MXV Member

This might seem a bit off topic but I'm tearing my hair out at this point...

Managed to get the HDD OSD and PS BBN working and I'm trying to launch games from the BBN menu but I keep getting launch errors.

For example If I use the ODEM manager I can get the game to launch using the HDD OSD, although In BBN I get "This Game Does not Start"
    If I just install it without making it bootable I get "This Game requires the disk at boot time. Please insert a disc."

How can I get this to boot properly and is there an easier way to get rid of the Toxic or Kermit begining part of each title, If not where abouts do I look to HEX it out.

Oh and how do I create, open or edit the icon.bin? I've had a look around but I can only seem to find a few things to edit the save file icons.

Cheers for any help.

14. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

PSBBN is garbage. -_-;

Anyway it's EXTREMELY picky with the headers on the partition information section. Make sure they're proper or else it won't boot.

15. MXV

MXV Member

Heh yeah, well I'm still determined to get this working, unfortunately another problem has cropped up I now can't even launch the game from the HDD OSD after reinstalling the OSD Data in the ODEM manager. It says it's not bootable as no boot KELF is available. How can I get that back?

Also I don't want to spam this topic with this Is there a more suitable topic I should post about this in?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  16. l_oliveira

ADD a injected, DISK signed MG KELF file with the appropriated loader into the directory KERMIT is being loaded from, named "HDDLOAD.KELF".

17. MXV

MXV Member

Thanks alot that did the trick! My version of HDDLOAD.KELF got corrupted and it now launches in both the PS BBN and HD OSD!

But yet again I appear to have another problem. I can't seem to copy images using hdl_dump 091 & 087 I keep getting a Not Found prompt.

View attachment 6319

Also I'm still trying to figure out how to edit the icon.bin

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  18. l_oliveira

Never saw that error before ...

Since the tool you're using is just a frontend for a (contained within the .exe) command line tool, it may need administrator privileges to run correctly.

19. MXV

MXV Member

Definitely isn't an privilege elevation problem, I can use winhiip without any issue with the same setup. I'll play around with it tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  20. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Have you tried the "Run as administrator" to make sure? WinHIIP may run right but hdl_dump is not the same.. so it be need administrator privileges to run correctly.

Also the "icon.bin" is just any old Icon for your PS2 games saves. Plus to make sure that its an icon, you can open it in a Hex Editor and see if it his "00 00 01 00 01 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 80 3F" at the start.