(Help) How to add Icons to HDLoader/KERMIT Games on PS2 HDD-OSD

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by vash32, Oct 20, 2012.

1. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

I compile HDL Dump server which inject KELF files at partition area offset 0x111000. Just place PATINFO.KELF near exe file and new installed games can be launched from HDD OSD.
    rghost.ru/43820284
    Source code can be found at bitbucket.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

Thanks!
    A step in the right direction.

:encouragement:

3. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

Ok now HDL Dump is fully working with elfs. hdl_dum_091 4 files - Gui executable, command line executable, icon.bin (icon for HDloader - can be altered with your own icon) and PATINFO.ELF (in my case its just miniopl). PATINFO.ELF size limitation - 417kbytes.

Big thanks to krHACKen!!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  4. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

Hi!

Why not check the filesize and insert the needed hex values and the PATINFO.ELF automatically?
    ;)

Rgds.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  5. blueheaven

blueheaven Spirited Member

Great work :)
    Just need a little more info on how to install an ELF using this...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  6. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Does this do what is sounds like it does? This is just... wow! you make it so hdl_dumb can just add your icon (named icon.bin) and miniOPL (named PATINFO.ELF) to the game just by installing it! (I may be wrong as I have not try it... oh but I will soon.)

At first we needed to install a game then use SilverBull's KERMIT to add miniOPL and then open the HDD in a Hex Editor to add a new icon, name and any other info (if needed.)

This will save a lot of time! Thanks for posting it, also I thank KrHACKen for all his work on the HDD-OSD and all other works as well.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  7. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

yes you are fully right. You can replace icon and elf with what ever you want (of course size limitation still persist). I am using uLe evil region free kelf provided from l_oliveira. I hope that this kelf is region free (i cannot test it cause on my console I can launch any kelf and all are working :D ) and this Kelf contatiner isn't copyrighted.

8. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

I tried it out and all is working.... but I can't get the HD Loader Icon replace, I set the new icon as icon.bin and then start hdl_dumb.exe to add a game. Game does boot on HDD-OSD (by miniOPL) and plays but the Icon is the HD Loader icon or does the icon replacing only works on the hdl_dump.exe (command line).

I'm not doing it wrong, right? (I'm on Windows XP, if that helps)

9. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

oh thanks i check this out. Maybe i forgot set flag in gui verion )))

10. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

By the looks of it, its using the icon data that's on the .exe (I may be wrong, but looking at it in hex.. I can see the HD Loader icon on it.).
    I'm using a SCPH-30001 and I also looked a the .exe in a Hex Editor and set it so the "HD Loader - Game_Name" is just "Game_Name", tested that out and worked. (But not the icon) Sadly hdl_dumb.exe does not like Japanese test (So I need to do that in Hex Editor).

If I can get the icons working that will be great! Your making what was maybe hrs to just mins!:encouragement:

11. blueheaven

FYI: it's region free, i tested this on a PAL console and installed JPN and USA games.
    And i found out that with "[IOP] PKTDRV.elf" from sp193 transfer speed stays around 5,1 MBps :smile-new:

2013-02-17_224532.jpg

Offtopic: btw i noticed that sp193 released (unofficial builds) hdld_svr_092 and hdld_svr_092A a while back and you're using 091?
    Edit:
    Oh... he's also working on HDLDump v0.93 prototype :)

12. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Yes we know that the "miniOPL" is region free, it was if the PATINFO.ELF is region free or not. Well by the looks of it, it is.
    Why, well your using a PAL console and I'm using a USA console. What more info you need?

BTW, you try the icon.bin to see if you can set a new icon. (I'm only getting the HD Loader icon) Its just any MC icon.

13. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

It's not a KELF its an ELF!!!!! Kelf data already built in HDL dump. So you can alter it with elfs (no need for kelfs)

14. blueheaven

I used a mcsave icon.sys and changed it to icon.bin, but it doesn't work, the icon stays hdloader...

Edit:
    No problem, i'm not in a hurry, your work is appreciated :love_heart:

15. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

client side has different numeration neither server side. All 0.9.x is compatible between themselves.
    wait a bit I well check it in hours. Oh i forgot my virtual machine at home - so I will look at it only in evening.

16. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Sorry, my bad.... I looked and your right, its a ELF not a KELF. I see now, it just adds the new ELF to the old KELF (Maybe, I'm not sure.)
    I appreciated all the work your doing in this.:love-struck: As before doing this was very long... for me at the most.
    Sorry but the "icon.sys" is not the icon, the icon haves ".ico" or ".icn" at the end and maybe more... like Mushihime-sama, its save icon is "mushi.ico" but as your game data is doing the HD Loader icon, so in the end no errors done to your HDD.

P.S. icon.sys is the info of the game save's Name, Color etc.

17. blueheaven

Thanx, you're right, my mistake :redface-new:

18. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

Ok new versions. Now GUI supports icon.bin replacing. In package include rebuilded 0.8 version. But gui versions doesn't support dual-layer and CD games - so for installing them you have to use command line utility. Add experimental flashing support (big thanks to krHACKen) :)

19. blueheaven

Gonna try it later, flashing looks cool :cool-new:
    Thanx

Edit:
    Yep, it's working now, great!

How to add flashing support to the icon?
    And are you planning to update the gui for installing CD and Dual layer games?

20. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

Hi!

Why not loading an external file (kelf) as like the icon?
    This would be much easier for the coder and the user...
    :)

Or something like that:
    PAT-HEADER.jpg

Rgds.