(Help) How to add Icons to HDLoader/KERMIT Games on PS2 HDD-OSD

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by vash32, Oct 20, 2012.

1. angelwolf71885

angelwolf71885 Dauntless Member

Well Like All Good Code You Build The New Stuff Ontop Of The Old Stuff
    and At The Time Of The First 2 Vershions Of The Ps2 The Usa And Pal Bios
    hadent Even Been Compiled Yet So They Just Built All Bios After They Made The Switch
    from The Pcima Model To The Dev 9 Model It Kinda Also Shows Why The Finial
    j Dvd Update One Version higher then The Usa Dvd Update

2. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Fortunately $ony didn't update the MechaCon blacklist on every DVD Player upgrade. They've been more afraid of the MPAA than D@tel, guys who downgrade the DVD Player or guys who inject executable code in DVDELFs:witless:.
    Implementing a sabotage routine (the memwipe thing) was smart, but if the crabbies did consider that lower versions are more "vulnerable", they could also mechaban them. Anyway, $ony could sweep out almost all "unlicensed", "import" and "piracy" related activities on their machine with a strong ass MechaCon enforcement and DNAS libs.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

Hi!

If you don't know where to find the eeprom/nvram i tell you the chance to trash your consoles is really high.
    And as sp193 wrote this mod only works on early consoles without probs and deeper research.

Rgds.

4. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Oooooh, it also means that if I manage to build a proper "A2" cracked Utility Disc 1.00, it will only work in V0:sorrow:, unkewl. HENCE THE NEED OF CLONING ZONY'S PACKING STYLE AND REBUILING THE PACKAGES. Me want that in "A3".

5. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

I have two PS2 SCPH-30001, one for playing games and the other one is for testing and etc. (The 2nd one does not load HDD and DVD.)
    I try this out on PCSX2 1.0.0 and works, so from what I can see... you need to hex edit the bios in the eeprom/nvram to make this work? I maybe wrong. So how are you guys doing this?

I love to have that as well, if you can.. or someday, that be great in A3.

Can anyone give some info on how you all edit the "Non volatile memory" of the PS2. Any info will be great.

Edit: I see now, you need to use a ELF file named Lenschanger... maybe, not sure need to download it to see for sure.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  6. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

But why wouldn't it make sense? It was banned starting from the re-release of the SCPH-10000 (April 2000), so all consoles that came after that model probably all had MECHACON firmwares that were based off that one.

I think that it'll make less sense if they actually removed the lock - it meant that they had bothered to clear the ban list, assuming that it was a list they had instead of hardcoding it within their code (And if it was hardcoded, it's even more a reason why they didn't remove it).

n00bs probably have no idea how they can screw up their console if they b0rk the NVRAM/EEPROM. While the console won't blow up or become bricked, you can:
    1. Screw up your i.Link and/or console IDs, and then DNAS won't work... forever.
    2. Screw up the MECHACON calibration information, and the disc drive won't work properly, if at all. And then you can't recalibrate the drive without the Sony tools (Good luck on this one...).
    3. Totally disable HDD booting support on your console (The HDD won't even spin up). Yes, I've achieved this with my SCPH-39006 when I flashed a DTL-30001's EEPROM over it.
    4. Screw up the OSD config block and things like the screen settings are screwed. I wonder what would happen if your component video out setting got changed by that to "RGB"... (LOL). Fixable if you have a composite cable though.
    5. Through long term usage after #2 happens, the laser could go... and then $$$ will fly out of your wallet too.

On PCSX2, it will work without issues. On a REAL console, the MECHACON will be scrutinizing whether the EEPROM's integrity is good.

Firstly, go look for the EEPROM layout information that the PCSX2 developers wrote in 2006 (It's with the PCSX2 sources, I believe).

Then study it to see where your console stores the model name... and do what you have to do. The checksum has to be updated after that.

Either that, or write your own program to use the Sony CDVDMAN/CDVDFSV APIs like sceCdWriteModelName(). This doesn't work on newer consoles after the SCPH-39000 series as the MECHACON has those functions disabled internally by Sony (Or maybe, some extra commands are required too, but not achievable using only rom0:CDVDMAN anymore).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  7. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Thanks, I see how it all works now. Starts at offset: 1A0, 49 54 27 53 2D 4F 56 45 52 2D 39 30 30 30 21 00 00 97 [IT'S-OVER-9000!..—] Worked 100%!

At the start of this video that have the Name: IT'S-OVER-9000!

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  8. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

Can somebody help me. It's about HDL partitions. As i understand - miniopl (or smth very small) can be injected into partition header (4mb)? But how exactly we have to do that? As i understand BOOT2 can launch elfs only after 4mb area...

9. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

Hi!

I have a few questions to this yt-vid:

I don't get it, what does this mean?

Please fill the hdd over 120gb and then make another video.

Are you sure?

Rgds.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  10. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

OK, now I'm sick of this sh*t...

Time to get a few things straight, right now.

- The 2nd POPS POC only supports 28-bit HDD. Be aware that if you put a POPS partition (parent partition or child partition) in the 48-bit area and run it, you'll have to SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR DATA.
    - Why I didn't release a so-called 48-Bit dump including the 2nd POPS POC ? Because I won't encourage users to screw their HDD partitions. Plus, that 48-Bit HDDOSD thing, as it's name states it, was an EXPERIMENT and is not intended to the end user.
    Tester o rly ?

- "Compatibility" now... Do you guys realize that you are maintaining a derivative compatibility list with the Bishi Bashi TOC as the TOC of your games:dejection: ?

- No, you don't have to format the HDD if you want to try out POC2 files.

- Does POC2 allow you to use games that are stored on USB devices ? No.

- None of the guys who are working on the next rls leaks shit at theISOzone. vash32 has published parts of private messages I sent him (for his personal use); and presented the stuff like it's the user manual of the POC or some kind of "official how-to" tutorials...

- POC2 package was published Jan. 21, 2013, 10:48 p.m. We don't offer our help or our support for you to use vash32's hexedited nukes so please don't disturb us with such thing.

That bullcrap is going to far and noobs already crossed the red line. If any notoriety hunting lamer wants project maintainers to stop working in this project, just let'em know, then they'll leave and let the masses struggle with their hexeditor.

Ran over.

11. blueheaven

blueheaven Spirited Member

edit: forget it...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  12. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Yes I know that, plus I say on the Download for it that is a Experiment, at the top of the page...

Sorry, I was hoping that it can help someone... if needed. Sorry if I uploaded any files that I should not... I try to make some parts easy for others. I hope I not doing any bad for you all.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  13. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

Sorry guys but what about my question? Is it possible to launch smth from partition area header or it is just a myth?

14. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Doesn't KERMIT elf do all the work for you? I may be wrong... It adds miniOPL .KELF to the partition and sets BOOT2 as BOOT2 = PATINFO

image.png

The blue is the PATINFO's Start and Size (in hex)

Edit: P.S. That HDD Dump I made of KrHACKen's 48bit var. was made upon request by my friend a1200... How can I leak items you post on the forum? I only uploaded two file you PM.. it was OSD110UA4_ULE442B and HDDOSD110U_A4_KHNHDD the others made from using your Sony Utility Disc Set on one of my HDDs. I'm sorry if none of the data needed to be uploaded on any sites.
    Just say the word and I'll stop adding on to your HDD hack... I'm not trying to get noobs to look at you for help or any of that... I'm sure you must hate me by now... as I said before sorry, if its doing any bad for you.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  15. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

the eight zeroes after the blue stuff are for the KIRX if KIRX loading is specified on system.cnf region. Same format as KELF.

I believe the syntax was mentioned on this forum a few months ago.

16. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Again, I shall repeat myself for the sake of those who don't want to go back a few pages to find our original discussion on its format: The format was discussed in the official SCE PS2 SDK. They even gave a really good example on how you are to set up this partition attribute area and explained clearly on the formats and restrictions on the files stored there.

The only thing that they neglected to specify (Since it was supposed to be a secret) was how to make the partition bootable. The KELF and KIRX entries are the next two entries after the last file entry which the SCE HDD documentation specifies. (Silverbull explained this clearly as well, a few posts after mine back then when we were discussing on this)

EDIT: I'm a good guy, so here are the links to the posts within this thread:
    1. http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...on-PS2-HDD-OSD&p=628193&viewfull=1#post628193
    2. http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...on-PS2-HDD-OSD&p=628269&viewfull=1#post628269
    3. http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...on-PS2-HDD-OSD&p=629018&viewfull=1#post629018

17. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

18. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

Thanks guys for help - I really messed this up :) Now everything is clear (except such things that I don't need exactly now - about kirx and ioprp)

19. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

No, I cannot. Before you start criticizing me silently for witholding information gained by myself (Which I've never done lol), I really don't have any samples for you. The HDD unit, accessories and utility discs (DVD Player updates + HDD utility discs) were never officially released in my territory and the game region code is screwed up.

I've written an essay on how the IOP reset functionality works sometime back, and it covers the purpose of the KIRX as well: http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...-modifications&p=644633&viewfull=1#post644633

The only error I made was on it's application: It wasn't used only in "older" Sony software. On the contrary, it was used up to the very end of all DVD Player updates (v3.04).

If the KIRX field is NULL'ed out, the HDDOSD will reset the IOP with the default IOP modules (Like rom0:EELOAD will do). Hence, we don't actually need a KIRX for homebrew...

20. fresh

fresh Spirited Member

It seems i've to work on my image...
    :friendly_wink:

Thanks for this reply.

Now it's a little bit clearer for me.

Rgds.