Help choosing a cell phone!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Micjohvan, May 5, 2008.

1. Micjohvan

Micjohvan Familiar Face

So its time for me to buy a new cell phone. I havent had one in a while now and I want to purchase a decent one. I have no real exp buying phones other then like pay as you go types that you can get anywhere.

I would like to find a stylish one that isnt anal about what you can put on it. I want to stick my MP3s on it and use MP3s and maybe midi files as ringtones. Custom backgrounds would be nice to as I like to photoshop my own stuff :thumbsup:

But the biggest things im looking for are homebrew (more or less emulators) I really want one that can emulate NES so I can have my MegaMan on the go! A keyboard phone would be a plus to. I dont mind paying a bit for the phone as long as service for it isnt to crazy high.

If you guys have any ideas please pitch them as I havent found anything with google :(

2. sephiap

sephiap Spirited Member

Jailbroken iPhone seems to meet all the prerequisites noted above?

(except MIDI tones... I think... not sure if they can do those, never tried...)

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  3. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

If you ARE interested in the iPhone, wait it out until around next month. The rumors of the 3G iPhone are pretty strong, or at the least, huge price cuts.

I know I love my iPhone, and its saved my ass a few times when the Internet cuts out or whatever the case may be. And with games like a version of Spore coming out, it really is quite a fine little device.

No MIDI tones on the iPhone, but mp3 ringtones are fine as can be.

4. oli_lar

oli_lar Resolute Member

I have one of these, which seems to fit your bill:
    [​IMG]
    Its a Nokia E61. Theres quite a few emus now coming out of the the phone's OS (Symbian 3) - theres a perfect NES emulator and a decent SNES one by the same guy (Though iirc it didn't have sound last time I looked. Theres even a port of MAME for it.

They're about £80 in the UK for a second hand one. Nice and reliable, never had a problem with it for a year or so (Until I dropped it the other week and has now packed in...)

Nice big screen for movies/games too :thumbsup:

5. the_steadster

the_steadster Site Soldier

Go with a nokia N or E series - An N95 is probably the best (definately my favourite), it will do absolutely everything but has very poor battery life at about 1.5days.

6. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

P1i or W960, both by S. Ericsson.

7. Micjohvan

Micjohvan Familiar Face

Thanks for the tips guys. I am looking into some of these. Do they need to be "unlocked" to do what im wanting or is that only to be usable by diffrent companys? Again probably a stupid question but I dont deal with cellphones much and they arent a area im very familier with lol.

8. Divine Evolution

Divine Evolution Peppy Member

I'm pretty sure any modern cellphone prefers .MMF or .MP3 to .MID...
    There are plenty of free converts out there that will turn your .MIDs (and .MP3s if your phone won't use them) into .MMF

~Krelian

9. ServiceGames

ServiceGames Heretic Extraordinaire

www.gsmarena.com

That should be a decent place to start your search.

I personally use Tmobile and have a Dash (HTC S620).
    I'm not thrilled with using Windows mobile though. I am able to watch movies and use mp3's as whatever I want so I'm content there... the overall phone functions just feel clunky though. I would go with something Sony Ericsson. Every phone I have ever been satisfied with has been made by them and you really can't go wrong.

As far as unlocking goes you should only need to mess with that if you need to use a particular handset with a different carrier. I generally unlock everything that I own though just based on principle.. Plus it's kind of fun

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  10. Sojiroh

Sojiroh Dauntless Member

I think an N series phone would be the best choice (I reccomend the N95). There are emulators for a lot of thing available for Symbian phones (I have a Nokia 6620 with gb, NES, SNES, gba, commodore 64 and SCUMM emus)

11. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

P1i and W960i support midi FYI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

both offer a touchscreen and a very good interface (UIQ3) - you can also find tons of applications since they re essentially Symbian =)

12. Micjohvan

Micjohvan Familiar Face

Ok I have been looking around and looked at many of these. I am actually wanting something a little more basic. I am wanting to get a normal service plan and buy a nice phone from a store that can run a NES emulator on it.

I assumed that most cellphones today would have more then enough Horsepower to pull off NES.

I am looking at getting some Verizon like a EnV 2 (120$)

I however get a company discount on AT&T. Is there a AT&T phone I can walk in and buy (less then 200$ with plan setup) that can run a nes emulator at full speed?

Im not wanting to buy a 400$ touchscreen phone. Please let me know and thanks again for all the help.

13. kammedo

kammedo and the lost N64 Hardware Docs

Bah. Nokia N81 is way better. :p

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  14. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

[​IMG]

Get one of these

15. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Light Hearted Drunk

Iphone even a drunk man like me knows that