Help cart multigames

Discussion in 'Dumping and Backing Up Your Games and Prototypes' started by afsblood, Apr 23, 2018.

1. afsblood

afsblood Active Member

Hi guys.
    I recently tried copying the rom from an aliexpress multiplayer cartridge. I used krikzzz's MD kit. (I already used it in your other cartridges).
    But with this cartridge I got the rom but the selection menu does not work (only one of the rom games works)
    Looking at the rom obtained with hexadecimal editor, I could see that all the games are inside (what works is the first one inside the hexadecimal).

Is there any specific way to get the roms of this type of cartridge?

The cartridge uses two chips:
    1 - Black epoxy ball
    2 - Fujitsu Devices Inc. MSP55LV650 0246 F13E Malaysia

Thank you friends

2. abveost

abveost Robust Member

You say you "got the rom", verified that all the games are inside, and then ask in there's "any specific way to get the roms". Obviously there is. You did it. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

3. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

He's saying he has a dump but it isn't functioning as intended, and is asking if there's something specific he should be doing when dumping a multicart of this nature.

4. josiahgould

josiahgould Spirited Member

Are you wanting to split the individual games out of the multicart ROM?

Find the offsets that the multi-menu uses, and copy / paste from each location.
    Or, load it up in a hex editor and split them out that way.

Megadrive? Here's header info.

5. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

First, you should describe how this multi-cart switch game.Using a menu program or using hardware reset or power-off/on action.

This would tell us if it's hardware or software bank switcher based multi-cart.

6. afsblood

afsblood Active Member

Friends, thanks for the answers ...
    Looking through the hexadecimal editor, I see that the roms are all inside the file. What does not work is the menu.
    I did not know there was a way to do the menu through hardware (as was said in previous posts) ...
    But I believe it can be this way then, because it has a black epoxy bubble chip, which I can not know what it is ... (I liked this option of making the menu through hardware ... would indicate some material to study about the subject matter?)
    In this video I show inside the cartridge, and in the description has a MAGA NZ link that has the cartridge dump file.

Memory on cart:
    Fujitsu Devices Inc.
    MSP55LV650
    0246 F13E Malaysia
    Thank you all for your help.

7. abveost

abveost Robust Member

The menu is in software. It controls the address decoder that lives under the epoxy which remaps the address of the selected game to $0. Vollyball works because In the actual ROM it lives at $0 even though it's 12 on the list in the menu.

8. afsblood

afsblood Active Member

thanks, I'll try to do some hex editing here to see if I can get something.

9. abveost

abveost Robust Member

Good luck with whatever mysterious goal it is you wish to achieve

10. afsblood

afsblood Active Member

thank you.
    My goal was to find out how the method works, because sometimes I make small roms to megadrive with the known compilers. and I find it wasteful to use an entire repro cartridge just for a rom, so I would make my own menu, to manage my roms in the cartridge.

11. abveost

abveost Robust Member

If you're compiling your own code you can merge it all and create your own menu that jumps to whatever game is selected or write position independent code.

12. afsblood

afsblood Active Member

Thanks for the tip, I'm still learning how to do this. I've done some test roms, and now I'm trying to develop the menu without having to mess with the finished roms

13. abveost

abveost Robust Member

Bootlegers have been doing this for ages and will undoubtedly use the best/easiest/cheapest method of doing it. If you absolutely must bootleg your own software do it the way the experts do. This means adding hardware to your card.

14. afsblood

afsblood Active Member

Yes, thanks for the tip. That's exactly what I'm trying to learn, what kind of hardware should I add? a microcontroller? Any hints of material so I can study about it? Thank you friends.

15. abveost

abveost Robust Member

There are many different types of part you could use. An MCU is probably the cheapest/simplest option. However most relevant stuff you could study will deal with logic so you'd need to understand that and then translate that into code. That will be much easier and cheaper than learning to do it in logic and getting the stuff you need to do it. An MCU also has advantages over logic in this application as speed is irrelevant but a large/complex logic table is useful. You should read up on address decoders and bank switching. You can find a lot of relevant stuff by looking for information on mappers. You would effectively be building a custom mapper, for a genesis cartridge. Since you've written code for the Genesis it will be easier for you to design your own menu than try to work with the bootleggers thing. In a nut shell the menu would communicate with the MCU by accessing an address which would trigger the MCU to set the state of otherwise unused address lines on the cartridge memory to switch the required bank into $0.

16. afsblood

afsblood Active Member

Thanks for the explanations, my friend.