Hello from Wales!

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction Forum' started by Refrenz, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Refrenz

Refrenz Member

Hi everyone,

I've been into video games since playing my first game aged 5 (Boot Hill in the Arcades) and have owned various systems - ZX Spectrum, Sega Master system, Gameboy etc ... right up to the current gen consoles. I started properly collecting consoles about 15 years ago (well, more like buying back the ones I foolishly sold in the early 1990s), then a few years ago decided to pack them all away and just use emulators.

Recently, I dug one of my Megadrives out (the mk1 Megadrive is the coolest looking console ever designed in my opinion) and quickly discovered modern LCD TVs are rubbish at displaying non HD video game systems so I went looking for ways to improve the video quality.

While googling for info about where to buy an XRGB-Mini Framemeister upscaler, I stumpled across Assember Games, had a look around and decided to stick around!

2. Aydan

Aydan Spirited Member

Hello from Wales too! ;) Small world but we are around..

Where about's you from? Plenty of great retro shops around here! Also consoles look fine on hdtv's as long as you use an rgb scart, unless you want to be super super OCD and have all the mega scalers and scan line filter etc :) Not that there's anything wrong with that of course!

3. Refrenz

Refrenz Member

I'm from the capital - there's not much in the way of retro shops that I'm aware of, but then I don't bother looking around and just buy stuff online. :)

PS - I need my scan lines - thing don't look right without them!

4. Aydan

Aydan Spirited Member

Ohh the diff! ;) there're 2 or 3 shops there actually, super tomato being one of them. I also HIGHLY recommend Next Level games in Pontypridd.

I play all my retro stuff with RGB on a crt and I barely ever notice any scan lines... maybe certain tvs showed them more or something.

5. thepokemask

thepokemask Why have a virtual boy when you can have a potato?

hello and welcome to assemblergames :D

6. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

Hello from Florida and welcome to ASSEMblergames! Join us on the shoutbox sometime, it can be quite fun lol.

I know exactly how you feel about quality on modern displays. I don't have an XRGB system yet but I do have a generic SCART to HDMI converter which supports RGBS over SCART. For your MD1, I recommend getting an RGB SCART cable with a cable going to the headphone jack for stereo audio and have the cable wired for C-Sync with a sync booster. Here in the USA, SCART is extremely rare so we can only really use converters or SCART to BNC adapters for PVMs. The only line of TV I heard having SCART here is the RCA Dimensia CRT line. It doesn't support RGBS though.

If you want the best quality possible on compatible systems, look into getting them HDMI modded when OzOnE's universal HDMI mod board comes out in December. It sadly doesn't work on the MD/Genesis due to the video chip being analog only. The Game Boy is compatible though.

7. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

If @MonkeyBoyJoey doesn't break the thing again...

8. thepokemask

thepokemask Why have a virtual boy when you can have a potato?

how did he break it?

MBMM likes this.
  9. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

I didn't. It went offline randomly last night due to some security issue. No idea what happened.

10. Refrenz

Refrenz Member

Aydan - Super Tomato and Next Level look awesome (just googled them) - I'm definitely going to pay a visit. I can't believe Super Tomato has been right under my nose all this this time!

MonkeyBoyJoey - Thanks for the advice - I've got a UK Megadrive modded for Jap/Eng and 50/60Hz in colour without a SCART cable (via composite video and stereo RCA sockets added at the back), but bought one of those RGB SCARTs with headphone leads last week and the picture is much better. Sadly, my other MD (Hong Kong PAL-I basic Jap/Eng 50/60Hz mod through SCART only) exhibits sync issues at 60Hz but I understand the XRGB-Mini I intend getting (firmware 1.8 onwards) fixes this without the need for a hardware c-sync fix.