Hello from Boston!

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction Forum' started by Cobble, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Cobble

Cobble Rapidly Rising Member

Hi All,

Long time gamer here. I started back in the mid 80's, mostly NES, and have been an avid gamer since, owning all of the big home consoles, and I also do some PC gaming. Recently I got back into collecting (mostly NES/SNES/Genesis) and through the wonders of the Internet, I discovered the world of modding for RGB output.

I've yet to complete my setup in that regard. I recently send out my NES, SNES, and Genesis for repair, modding, and cleaning. I also have an Analogue NT on order, which I'm pretty pumped about. Im trying to get my hands on a good SCART switch and a XRGB mini as well. I'm totally confused on SCART cabling though, as to what cables are needed, if SCART handles audio output, and the whole sync thing is damn puzzling at this point in time.

I've got a pretty decent collection of games for all of the systems that I have, but my NES collection is growing most rapidly. Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hi!

2. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Heya, welcome to the forums! When you get the Analogue NT be sure to tell us how it is, I don't personally know anyone who's getting one.

3. Cobble

Will do. Supposedly the last production batch of 300 is shipping next month. At that point I'll have been waiting for like 5 months so I'll be pretty excited to get my hands on it, and I'll be sure to follow up here. It's obviously expensive but not so bad when you consider that a RGB modded console costs about $350 (including console) and then you need to spend about $400 more on a framemeister and cables if you want to come close to the output of the NT. EVEN THEN, from what I hear, the NT still looks better. But we shall see.

4. Cobble

Just following up....the NT is stunning. If you like RGB through the Franemeister, the NT is a step above. The sound, the color, the responsiveness...it's all just a notch above. It's just truly impressive. I also have a NES RGB setup and the quality is close, but the nod definitely goes to the NT. Plus, physically, the thing is just majestic. I don't regret that purchase in the slightest.

DeChief likes this.
  5. GrizzlyGT

GrizzlyGT Member

Welcome! You will love the NT. It is stunning to play. Did you see the limited 24K version that came out. Talk about high rollin!

Cobble likes this.
  6. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

What about the input lag, is there any that's noticeable?

7. Cobble

None at all. Zero. The PPU and CPU output digital signals directly to Kevtris' HD board, so it's never converted to analog and then back to digital. It's digital from start to finish. That's why it looks slightly better than the NESRGB - the signal is captured at the source so there's no loss. It's simply the best way to play NES games.

8. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

The best way? I don't think anything beats an old CRT and composite. :D

9. Cobble

Yeah, I suppose that can be debated. Purists will still prefer a CRT. I was there, so I can appreciate the nostalgia, but my view is that these games deserve to be displayed in the best way technically possible. That said, if I can ever get one at a decent price, I'll still pick up a PVM and go full on RGB just to do it.

Another thing people don't really give the NT credit for is 4 player support, and Famicom support out of the box. That's a pretty big deal,especially considering that Famicom games are so inexpensive when compared to their US counterparts.

10. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Meh, I use an AV Famicom on an LCD TV for both Famicom and NES games, so I can't really comment.

11. Cobble

Man, I'd love to pick up an AV Famicom at some point too