Hell Night running in my living room!

Discussion in 'Panasonic M2 and 3DO' started by awbacon, Apr 11, 2018.

1. awbacon

awbacon Rising Member

It took five years of active searching, two weeks waiting on a box from Australia, and a new old stock donor IDE cd-rom drive from a local computer recycler, but I finally have an M2 board up and running in my house.

I haven't wired everything up to my PVM yet, but via supergun I was able to boot and test the board. My Framemeister was able to sync to the medium resolution signal after some manual adjustments of the sync value, and I used my homemade fight sticks coin and start buttons to load and launch the game from the main menu.

If the PVM will handle the 24khz in, I'll leave the board as Hell Night. If not, I will convert it to an Evil Night ISO that is standard definition. Going in SCART to BNC to preserve sync for the guns.

Step 2 is to wire up a stereo out harness from the JAMMA PCB so I can get away from mono audio off the JAMMA edge. (schematics don't list Evil Night as providing mono audio from the edge, but pins 10 / L are live for audio) The cd-rom drive I swapped in does have a 1/8th inch headphone out, so I might try to go 1/8th to RCA adapter and mix the audio down the line into my speakers.

In the end (once I have more space) I am going to get everything into a cabinet with the appropriate guns (I have one handgun, need to get a second + the shotgun) and artwork and basically have a restored Evil Night cabinet.

Now I just need a Total Vice board w/ the old bios so I can run Polystars and Total Vice, and I'll have access to all five M2 games that exist on the Konami side.

Big thanks to HotD54me for filling in some gaps in my knowledge, and Timo Weirich for talking tech with me.

If anyone ever needs a hand w/ this hardware, feel free to pm me. I've been compiling a metric crap ton of info on M2 during this, so if I can help in any way, just ask!

[​IMG]

2. awbacon

awbacon Rising Member

I wish the light guns worked on LED. Looks good upscaled to 4k

3. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Peppy Member

That looks great! Would u be interested in doing a build log with pics to illustrate your journey? Maybe compile an info pack. I'm currently working on a 3DO info pack for the original Panasonic/ Goldstar/ Sanyo incarnations. Not quite a metric tonne but hopefully useful.

Happy gaming!

4. awbacon

awbacon Rising Member

funny you mention it. I have a 22 page document written up on the M2 (konami only) including basic history, specs, editing hex files for patching games, bios revisions, basic repair and preventative maintenance, schematics for certain boards (w/ chips, capacitors, etc notated), etc etc etc

Its a WIP and it's not done. REV 1 should be ready in a few months

I still need to obtain a Total Vice board on the old firmware so I can run Polystars / Total Vice. My boardset is the newer bios and can only run Evil/Hell Night, Battle Tryst, and Heat of Eleven 98'. I have all five games on cd-r, but I am waiting on my PVM to arrive before I test everything.

All five of the disc images I created read as correct in the OperaFS File Browser, so I don't doubt they will play on original hardware once I reinitialize the RTC chip so that they pass the hex checks in the eeprom / on disc

5. awbacon

awbacon Rising Member

my JAMMA pcb is socketed on the bios chip though, so I can get an older bios burnt and swap them. Unfortunately the way the pcb's are stacked it requires taking the M2 main board off and unplugging it from the JAMMA board, which I'd rather not do too many times, so I will probably wait till I can find a Total Vice board to use

6. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Peppy Member

Amazing. I will definitely be watching your progress on this. Would it be possible to setup a dual bios so that u can switch between the 2 bios to play the various games?

7. awbacon

awbacon Rising Member

I mean anything is possible, but considering the scarcity of the hardware I am not planning on attempting any one-off dual boot bios system. Soldering nightmare and I can’t just eBay a replacement easily lol

I’ve been comparing the bios files in hex to see the differences. I can’t find any references in ascii translation in the executable files on the discs or in the game code that points to one bios file over another, but I am still looking around. Maybe a universal bios is possible, but it would take some serious work and my coding skills are subpar.

Swapping a socketed chip would be the easiest outside of having two boards (which is my plan) but again there isn’t enough distance between the M2 pcb and the JAMMA pcb to remove the bios without pulling the M2 board from the top.

The boards connect via a hard pin and socket setup, not a ribbon cable, so I wouldn’t count on it holding up over time. I need to count the pins and see if I could build a cable between each (similar to a pci-e riser extension cable for graphics cards) so that it was easier to fix if something goes wrong.

Taijigamer2 likes this.
  8. awbacon

awbacon Rising Member

Just finished my first full playthrough of Evil Night. Game is great...better than I expected. I was worried after so much time spent looking for it and getting myself excited the game would be a bit of a letdown...but no! It's probably in my opinion a bit better than HotD 1 (considering it was panned for being a ripoff and not as good)

PVM via RGB out of my supergun (converted SCART to BNC) worked perfectly for the light gun...zero issues! That was my last hurdle to gameplay.

Also interesting is that I was using a patched iso of Evil Night (since Hell Night is medium res and the PVM would not sync...no surprise there) on the Hell Night hardware and you DONT have to reinitialize the RTC to run the game. It was as simple as inserting the disc and it loaded no issues.

Either a) the ONLY difference between an EAA version of Hell Night and Evil Night is the resolution and all the "encryption" data is 100% the same or b) something else I haven't figured out yet. I highly lean towards A

But that is the long and short of it. I haven't tried Battle Tryst or Heat of Eleven 98' yet, and I can't play Total Vice or Polystars until I find an old revision bios motherboard. But I am getting there!

pitsunami and Taijigamer2 like this.