Heart of Darkness

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Celine, Feb 1, 2011.

1. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

Thank you for your generosity finsterhund! Looking forward to this one :).

2. yaz0r

yaz0r Member

Heya, reading the thread I'm a bit confused. Are you guys talking about getting the E3 build running on emulator? The one that mention the extra memory pack on the loading screen?
    I was digging in the assembly of the build and managed to get it up and running in Yabause a little while back. If that is of interest, I can dig up the config when I get back home later today.

3. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Yeah, we're talking about the E3 Saturn disc. You're saying you have the dump of this? It wasn't shared between anyone but the original disc owner and MurderOfCrows I thought. Now I'm confused. PM me a link if you can o_O

4. yaz0r

yaz0r Member

Assuming this is the same build, just confirmed it boots fine for me in yabause 0.9.15 configured with a 32mbit backup ram.

5. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Yeah I'm confused too.. This build isn't public afaik

6. yaz0r

yaz0r Member

Didn't get it from any public places. I have some knowledge of Saturn assembly code and I was asked a few months back to take a look at why it wasn't booting up in emulator. Quickly figured it was just failing on the loading screen without giving any error message if you don't have the proper memory extension (the game just write to the extended memory port and read back from it, and will just error out if it's not expected). Yabause with 32mbit backup ram is good enough to make it work.
    That's pretty much it, and I don't think I'm at liberty to share the build sadly. I was just surprised that people were still having issues getting it to run.

good and speedyink like this.
  7. SpaceQuakes

SpaceQuakes Rising Member

Aww…

8. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Gaming aficionado raised by family & friends.

Maybe you could ask permission to Eric Chahi himself to release the build online don't you think :) ? He's positive about stuff such as giving the yes & a blessing to The Removers and Retro-gaming Conexion for the Jaguar port of Another World years ago so why not this ;) ?

9. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Guys, the person buying it already said it will be released. Have patience, and stop trying to go behind (or in front?) of his back to get it sooner.

good likes this.
  10. Bramsworth

It was more trying to figure out if someone had gotten it from some sort of public download that no one was aware of, in which case it wouldn't make sense the current buyer is having to front thousands for it.

11. Borman

More the post above mine, where it had already been established that it wasnt the case

12. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

I've been waiting many many years for this release, I think I can deal with waiting a while longer :).

Loved this game immensely as a kid and it was my first exposure to the work of Eric Chahi. I always thought it was a little strange that the game was in development for so long and yet not much had been unearthed about its earlier stages. I have to say it again, but to whoever is releasing this, I thank you so much!

finsterhund likes this.
  13. finsterhund

finsterhund Active Member

Eric wasn't the programmer in this case. The guy to get in contact with would be Frederic Savoir. I've spoken to him several times but he is very busy and the last thing I want to do is bother him.
    Unfortunately I don't think a lot of the original files are still in any of the team's possession. Eric has also told me personally that re-releasing Heart of Darkness would be too much work to fit into his current project line up. He's working on a new game right now and prefers to spend time on new projects rather than old ones which was devastating news to me but I can understand his decisions. I'm content with it being my turn to take the torch and try to get any old builds of the game we can find working with as much help as is available. I'm actually stunned by the amount of support I'm seeing here. It's hopeful.

I'm interested in any of the people who've seen the build and got a chance to mess with it. I understand people not having the liberty to say but for now the wait is killing me so I'd like to ask one simple question:
    .paf files yes or no?

I'm also somewhat worried because contact between myself and XavGames has dropped off since last month and he hasn't logged in to my knowledge since early January. It was my intent to keep up regular conversation in case something came up concerning the disc.

I have an overwhelming love for this game, and this is a very important thing to me.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  14. Borman

Thats not all that unusual for Xavier. Im still owed a debug kit from him, and its been years

15. A Murder of Crows

A Murder of Crows Spirited Member

There was a recent sale on ebay for a memory extension board. I tried my hardest to win it, but it went beyond my means. I assume that is the piece of hardware we all would need to get it to run on any sort of real hardware. I had hoped i could get in contact with the winner of the hardware in order to ask about possible reverse engineering, but my contact attempts failed.

I have some news.

Don Russell, my friend and the owner of the physical Heart of Darkness disc who allowed me to make an image of that disc, lost his battle with cancer and passed away this morning.

Literally, this morning, so please keep that in mind and let's respect the family's privacy during their time of loss and mourning.

I do not know if the person who purchased the physical disc received it yet or not. I will be in contact with his family regarding this and all other images he had me make and, if requested, I will act as a liaison between members of Assembler and his family.

16. finsterhund

I am the purchaser of the disc. I have not received it yet as we had agreed to a three-year monthly payment plan and I would not get the disc until the last payment had been made. I will provide private messages and paypal receipts if requested. I have currently made 8 payments in total, the last being on the 6th of this month. Paypal still says it is pending.

I'd prefer if there would be some time given, as you said, to respect the family in their time of loss. It doesn't feel right to come to them about this.
    Don was very kind to me in our correspondence and I'm an overly sensitive person so this is something I need time to process as well.

I would still like the disc but this is not what's important right now.
    He was a very kind and generous person and his family will be in my thoughts.

17. ExplodedHamster

ExplodedHamster Spirited Member

I’ve known maybe 10-15 people in my life that truly everybody liked, and Don was one of them. He was such a good dude.

18. A Murder of Crows

A Murder of Crows Spirited Member

Don was a kind soul. Thank you for your thoughts. I'll do what i can to provide an update directly to you after the memorial services conclude.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  19. finsterhund

I noticed a go fund me for Don's family and was wondering if someone could patch me through to them to continue sending my layaway payments for the disk but directly to them? Assuming it's still not too soon to think about the games right now? I figure every little bit helps and continuing paying for it would be better sooner rather than later all things considered.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  20. Bramsworth

I'd suggest maybe making a donation and writing a message that's not made public. When I made my donation to his fund I wrote a simple thank you note concerning his preservation work and surprisingly got a thought out message back from his wife Jolie. It was through GoFundMe's email so I don't have her direct contact unfortunately, but I'm sure if you explain the situation she'd get back to you through there.

Keiji Dragon likes this.