HDMI Nintoaster Project! (Work in progres)

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Madsmaten, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

Ever since I saw a post by awesomeNES in here, I had been thinking of doing my own Nintoaster project.
    I wanted it as close to the original used by AVGN, however my skillset and economy at the time(of the post) was not there for it. Then I forgot about it.

I lately rewatched all of the episodes, and once I saw that Nintoaster again, I knew that I had to build one.

Starting off, the original Sunbeam Toaster used by the Vomitsaw (Original creator) are not exactly easy to find. I did manage to track one down on eBay, after some search.
    Only problem, seller only shipped US.. Since I live in Europe, that is an obvious obstacle.
    If it had not been for forum member youruglyclone!
    He accepted to purchase the toaster, recieve it, and later ship it to me.
    A huge shoutout to yourugleclone, for helping me out!

[​IMG]
    (Actual picture from the eBay auction).

The toaster arrived last week, I quickly disassembled it, and it was dirty inside.
    I have been using the last couple of days cleaning the entire thing.

[​IMG]
    Pretty sure there are some 40 years old breadcrumbs in here :D

[​IMG]
    As you can imagine this took several hours to clean.

I don't know what is it called in other countries, but here we have something called "Brun Sæbe", and it is a soap specially made for ovens with burns. Also WD40, and Autosol worked wonders.

[​IMG]
    One down, one to go.

[​IMG]
    All cleaned up!
    [​IMG]
    After 3 hours of Autosol scrubbing.

The actual unit will get the Hi-Def NES board install, in which it can output HDMI.
    However, that requires that you removes the ppu and cpu before installing the kit.
    A task I was not much up for.. Mostly because that it is so easy to damage the traces on the NES.

Thankfully a fellow Dane, and forum member in here Bearking is able to help me out.
    He had a spare NES around. He offered to sell it to me, but first to remove the CPU and PPU from it.
    In which he did, he sent me this photo of it all. It will arrive sometime next week!
    Thank you Bearking for helping me out!

[​IMG]
    Since it is a PAL unit, I have a famicom on its way, which I will use the PPU and CPU as a donor, in order to get 60hz out of it.

I have a few things on it's way, so stay tuned for updates :D
    I will post pictures once I get further with it!

Also, do you guys think I should use the original power cable for the toaster?
    It is a bit of a inconvenience since I live in the EU, however it can get fixed easily by using a small power adapter.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  2. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

Small update!

I managed to remove the expansion port. Luckily it came off without any damage or broken traces on the board.
    Not that it would have matter much, since that port was never used.
    [​IMG]
    Board is prepped, and as small as it can get. I will start measuring everything for fitting in the toaster.

Also the famicom I ordered has arrived. This will be used as a donor, to achieve the glorious 60hz.
    It will be a little while before I start to remove the ppu + cpu though.

[​IMG]

Next up is to gather all the last parts I need, and then really get to work!
    I also need to order the Hi Def Nes kit, but I am currently waiting for a reply of a mail I send them.

3. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

OK, maybe a dumb question, but why did you get a PAL NES and a Famicom rather than a NTSC NES, especially since you had to order the toaster from the US anyway.

And you probably already know this, but you have to swap the crystal as well as the PPU and CPU.

4. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

Bearking offered me the PAL board cheaply, and he also offered to remove the ppu and cpu for me.
    The Famicom was one I won at an eBay auction for around 15$, which was not that bad.
    The Toaster was shipped from the US yes, but frankly I think I was better off with the famicom route.
    Also, the added shipping weight of the NES and the toaster, would have cost me around 90$ for just the shipping and handling..

Yes, I have a spare crystal for NTSC, and will also save the one from the famicom :)

5. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

So a small update:

I managed to remove the PPU and CPU.
    It ain't for the faint of hearted without a desoldering gun..
    Luckily I got them both off, but it took a lot a patience..

[​IMG]
    I packed it away nicely, until I need them again. (Apology for the bad picture)
    I also have managed to built the cartridge connector, as you can see.

All there is left of parts needed, is some plexiglass which I will buy in the hardware store next week.
    Then of course the Hi Def Nes kit which has been ordered!

emuler likes this.
  6. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

There is an aftermarket device called the ENIO Expansion Board which plugs into the expansion port. It allows for expansion audio and 15 pin Famicom accessories on the NES such as the awesome Famicom 3D System and the Famicom BASIC Keyboard.

I can't wait to see how this turns out. Good luck with the project!

Getta Robo likes this.
  7. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

Thank you!
    Never heard of the ENIO untill now, but it looks like a nice addon.
    I don't think I will be testing it on this unit tho, since it have enough going on for it atm :D

8. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

It should be possible to do expansion audio, without the need of a enio adapter?
    However I am a bit confused what to do, since it seems that you need different resistance, whether using flashcarts, or real famicom cartridges.
    I will be using the everdrive N8 with this project mostly, but not sure what mod I need to do, to achieve best possible audio :)

9. MonkeyBoyJoey

Yes, there is a mod for it. Sadly, it confuses me too so I can't be of much help lol

10. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Getta Robo and MonkeyBoyJoey like this.
  11. MonkeyBoyJoey

Awesome! Hopefully expansion audio isn't as loud as the original Famicom with that mod. Expansion audio can overpower the Famicom's normal audio on my unit. I've heard from others that it is normal. It isn't going to blow out your speakers loud but it is noticeably louder.

12. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

So finally I have an update on the project.
    I received the Hi Def Nes board this weekend, unfortunately it had stayed at the customs office in almost two weeks.. :(

Anyway, the weekend went with testing it and troubleshooting.
    Luckily it all worked out great. The famicom crystal and the CPU and PPU works great.

[​IMG]

A problem I have noticed is the lack of space in the Toaster housing.
    The NES board needs to sit absolutely flushed to the edges, otherwise it simple will not close up.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the Hi Def NES presents a new challenge here, since the NES board becomes three times taller due the way it interposes the chipsets.

[​IMG]
    Here you can see how tall it has become.
    (Notice the expansion audio resistor is in place. As well as the region mod :D).

Because of this, the internal structure of the toaster is needing some modification.
    So I carefully drilled some holes, and started cutting away with a dremel.
    This is the first time, I have actually used a dremel, and the results are not perfect.
    However I can file it down once I am done, and luckly nobody is gone see it once the metal shield is in place anyway.

[​IMG]

The cartridge connector did need some slight modification as well.
    I will put a piece of acrylic between the chips and the connector, so you don't accidentally hit them while inserting a game.

[​IMG]

Next up, is soldering the 72 pins on the NES board to the cartridge connector.
    This will be the most tedious of the tasks so far.
    Stay tuned for more updates soon! :)

13. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Looks very promising :)

Your soldering looks really clean.

You may have already thought of this, but make sure to secure the cartridge connector with screws. Don’t fasten it with hotglue or double sided tape, that probably won’t last very long ;)

14. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

This is awesome

15. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

Thank you! I hope I will get it working soon, luckily the board was prepped nicely for me :D
    Yes, I am planning to line two pieces of acrylic along the sides, there is a little rail on each side, where I can slide it down.
    This will then get connected on both sides with a nut and bolt. That way, the pressure isn't much on the actual connector, but more the acrylic along the sides. Hopes it makes sense, I will probably show it in my next update :)

Thank you! Hopefully we will see it in action soon :D

16. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

This week I have been working on the cartridge connector.
    I was well aware that this would be a struggle, but I had no idea how troublesome it has turned out be.

I think I have redone the 72 wires 5-6 times now, and it still does not work.
    Everything is connected, from connector on board, to the game inside the cartridge connector,
    I have tried small gauge wire, and higher gauge. I get nothing at all, just a blank screen.
    I did once get the blue screen, with super mario bros, but I am not sure whether it was random or not.

Somehow I am a little skeptical of the replacement connector I have bought. It was bought on eBay, and it seems like it is no where to be found there now. It also really tightens the games, way to much, it is a struggle to release it once inserted.
    I went ahead and ordered a game genie, and I will try that connector instead.

[​IMG]

17. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

I apologize for not updating sooner!
    I have been away to Cuba, for the last month or so :D

Not much, have changed in terms of the actual project.
    I have bought some new stronger PCB, and decided to use the cartridge connector from a Game Genie.
    The connector I planned to use originally grabs the games way too tight.

The only thing I need currently, is some new wires. I will go to a local hardware store this week, and purchase them.
    Hopefully I can get the cartridge connector to work, since it is the only thing holding me back at the moment.

Due to a pretty busy upcoming December, there will problably be a little longer between updates. :)

[​IMG]

Syclopse likes this.
  18. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

Back with another update.
    So after trying several types of wire, and redoing my soldering several times.
    I just cannot get the cartridge connector to work properly.

I have tried a system now, where I have soldered pins to the NES port, and the cartridge connector.
    And then used some Arduino test wires to connect the pieces.
    I do get a picture with this method, but unfortunately my game crashes a few minutes into running.

I have tested everything with a multimeter, and there are no bridges.
    Everything connects to the game, but somehow it does not run as it should.
    Pictures below. Can anybody help me out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

When picking the colour for the pin connections did you have any pattern you wanted to follow? Like I know some people colour code each pin but given how many were here and how many colours there are it looks like you just picked whatever you grabbed first

Is this the case or did you specifically choose to order them this way

20. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Gutsy Member

There is no pattern in the colors, I just connected them one by one, to make sure I didn't miss any.