HD Loader, Install from DVD

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by HEX1GON, Jan 9, 2015.

1. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

I have HD Loader running on my NTSC-J PS2, however I have PAL games I'd like to run. This system has no modchip, and HDLoader will not accept PAL games to install. Instead I have to make disc images of my games and install them through Winhipp.
    PAL games run and launch just fine on the system with imaged so, my gathering is that the DVD-Reader is region locked?

Is it possible to install other region games straight from the PS2 at all? At the moment I can't see it possible, but someone with knowledge of the PS2 (which I lack) might know.

2. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

Only way would be to install a modchip.

3. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

The other way, would be to install your games remotely over the network via HDLGameInstaller or HDLDump. Both will allow you to install your game from your original discs.

4. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Issue is which I forgot to mention was, I cannot use a network. I have a SATA Network Adapter. So at the moment I can only use my PAL PS2 to install games and swap to my NTSC-J system when I'm done. I'll have to get an 3.5" SATA dock and load them that way which will be quicker than using the PS2's DVD drive.

5. diegoginard

diegoginard Member

Free MC BOOt es tu solucion

6. root670

root670 Robust Member

USB dock is the best method, but you can also do the swap trick or load ESR before booting HD Loader so it can read ESR-patched discs.

7. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Installations done via ESR will most likely not be very clean because ESR-patching a disc image will cause its structure to be changed slightly.

8. smf

smf mamedev

Not to mention that ripping the DVD on your PC, patching it & burning it to a DVD-R before ripping it in your PS2 is the most laborious way of doing it.

Can't you rip the DVD on a PC and then copy it to a USB stick and install it that way? (using ulaunchelf??).

9. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

It's also one of the most expensive ways to install games. D:

No. Although a handful of people were asking for that feature, it seems too impractical because USB 1.1 is so slow.

If he has the money and the means to, I would really recommend that he toss the SATA adaptor and get one that has a working network interface. If necessary, a suitable SATA to IDE converter as well.

These SATA adaptors might not work properly with OPL and I am seriously tired of people asking me if that can be fixed (as one can't fix something that was already crap to begin with). I probably got the worse of all SATA adaptors out there, as mine is one of those that won't work reasonably well with anything other than HDLoader.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  10. CRTGAMER

CRTGAMER Robust Member

No Mod Chip needed to install Imports directly using the disc reader of the Fat PS2, just add a Flip Top. Once the game is installed, the Region Check is not an issue since the tray is never ejected. PAL games will need to be NTSC converted. However, some have a 60hz option which is "remembered" once the game has a save file.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  11. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Actually how is that possible? If you boot ESR, then reset isn't it lost?

12. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

A swap disc (e.g. Swapmagic) is required too, otherwise it won't be very good for the console (specifically, the laser). Anyway, it's a fact that nothing much can be done, unless some hardware modification is made to the console.

It's because the region-locking is done by the MECHACON, hence applying to only the CD/DVD drive.

Not necessary, if he has a TV that can support both NTSC and PAL video modes. Since he has a NTSC console and got HDLoader working on it, I believe that he does have a TV that supports both signal types because he also owns a PAL set.

He meant that you start HDLoader from an ESR-patched disc, before ejecting the disc and inserting your own game that is on another ESR-patched disc. But doing so is expensive (You will have to buy DVD-Rs just to install games) and your game installations are not pristine (ESR-patched discs are not the same as their originals).

Ejecting the disc is not the same as hitting the reset button. If you eject the ESR-patched disc, the console can read yet another ESR-patched disc as long as you don't press RESET.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  13. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Well it seems a sata dock is the best option then. It's annoying that HDLoader was designed to block imports, however I think it's the PS2 drive that's also region locked, not the actual system.

14. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Yes it's the PlayStation 2. HDLoader has no region-locking on it's own, as a modchipped console will allow you to install imported games with HDLoader.

15. CRTGAMER

CRTGAMER Robust Member

You do not need Swap Magic or a Mod Chip to install imports using HDAdvance/HDLoader
    The only hardware mod needed is adding a Flip Top console top cover to circumvent the Region check of a disc tray eject. I boot my PS2 with HDAdvance which is a pressed disc, load HDLoader only if a particular game such as DVD-9 games. Of note, DVD-9 games will have to be dumped thru the PC, one installed HDLoader runs games such as God Of War just fine. All my PAL game direct installs work well too and NO MOD CHIP OR SWAP MAGIC NEEDED. Love the exclusive extra features of the PAL version of the game ICO which also has a 60hz option remembered via a game save on the Memory Card.

As mentioned earlier, the installed game has no region check issues. Just a fix of the PAL video conversion to NTSC (my earlier link) if one has a TV that does not support the PAL 50hz signal.

HDAdvance/HDLoader and Gamecube Gecko Guide:
    http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=322332#p322332

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  16. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Yup when it works a modchip is the most seamless DVD-5 games can be. Put an import in the unmodified tray, then use FMCB to load whatever installer program you like.
    But the hassle to add a modchip, or troubleshooting if it fails later...

17. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Ah, right. Sorry, I got confused with disc-booting, right when I wrote my post. >_>

18. thebigman1106

thebigman1106 Robust Member

Other thing is to use a slide tool....once the HD load program has loaded, slide the disc out the put a pal disc in, pushing the try (not using the eject button), I have done this with Jap Originals on my pal ps2.

19. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

I ended up just using a 2.5" disk, and getting images of the discs. Rather not mess around the disc tray since it's a limited edition PS2.