Have you downsized to one or two systems? Regrets?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Taemos, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

I haven't been a frequent poster here in years, so apologies in advance if this is the wrong place for this kind of topic. I'm aware of the "Things you regret you've sold" thread but I felt this was a bit larger in scope (80-90% of an entire collection as opposed to a few things here or there). Mods feel free to delete if you disagree (would appreciate a message though just so I know where the thread went).

After having moved a few times and dreadfully anticipating another in a few months, I've started to take more notice of my collection of games and systems that I own and am now wondering if they're worth holding on to. I traded my Saturn to a friend a few years ago and don't really miss it much, and I'm starting to think the same of my Dreamcast and 360 (especially since the only reason I was keeping it is Rez, and I just got Infinite in the mail the other day).

I have a few fairly uncommon/rare games (Seaman w/ microphone, E.G.G., Skies of Arcadia, a few others that escape me at the moment) and a pretty nice aftermarket shell on the Dreamcast. While I enjoyed it when I initially got it, I don't play many games anymore and when I do have the time I tend to want to spend it doing something else. I don't think my DC has been plugged in in over a year. I'll definitely be keeping my PC and Xbox collections since I still play those, but I'm very much considering getting rid of everything else (360, Dreamcast, PS2, and SNES). There is a bit of sentimental value to some of this stuff, but ultimately the memories are more valuable to me than hardware/games I'll probably never use.

I guess the point of this thread is, have any of you sold multiple systems/sets of games before and have you regretted it later?

2. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

Hello Taemos,

I am currently in the process of downsizing my collection and keeping only few systems with me. I already regret it at the moment. But I don't have much choice. Collecting is for me a way to share and enjoy something with other collectors. As I don't have a lot of time to use all the stuff I have, collecting is now just keeping dusted things, which is stupid.

But I know that regret aren't good. I currently sell a part of my collection in order to buy a camera to take nice pictures of my familly. So I will loose many video games systems on one side, but I will also get very good memories by picturing our familly moments.

What I mean is that you will always find a good side when selling stuffs you kept for a long time.

Just ask you "Why am I collecting ?".

Hope that is will help you, at least a little.

jetmagnum likes this.
  3. VerticalE

VerticalE Robust Member

I sold some retail games 15 or so years ago. I wish I could go back in time and punch myself for it. When I buy something I buy it to keep it. Luckily I have all the room in the world now, but even when I didnt I would put it in boxes and store at my parents house instead. I love going over all my old stuff, even just for the nostalgia it envokes.

skyway1985 likes this.
  4. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Many know how much I dedicated my money towards Xbox consoles and games. A day came where I thought "what am I really doing here?"

Most the time everything I bought over the years were just sitting there, it seems a waste to just leave there for the sake of having a 'collection'. When it could be enjoyed by others.

I regret nothing by doing so, it involved me getting a car I fiddled with for 8 months or so. Also I saved so much money doing so. Only games I've kept are ones my parents got me for me when growing up.
    Would have to say that downsizing was the best thing I've done. Most games can be emulated anyhow so it's not like I can never play them again.

skyway1985 and kennypecheur like this.
  5. skyway1985

skyway1985 Enthusiastic Member

I did it once, regretted it for a long time, but used money for my Old AE86, set that up, drifted and autocrossed. Kept some good pieces but the rest was gone. Fastforward to 2016. I started with nothing and now have too much damn shit, but it's stuff I never thought I would ever be able to own in my life time, let alone amass such a collection of hardware in a years time. Whole point is if you let it go now, no telling what you may end up with in 8-10 years. Don't dwell on the regret. We all go through cycles.

kennypecheur likes this.
  6. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

I think most of my friends have moved on from video games, so holding on to things I don't use is starting to seem silly to me. Your "keeping dusted things" comment especially hit home. Purchasing a camera to help keep family memories is a great way to use what you've made from the sale of your collection.

It does help, thank you!

While I wish I could keep some things at my parents house, there is very little room there and less as time goes on. I'm pretty sure they'd be happy if I finally moved everything out. I have some nostalgia for my Dreamcast collection and especially my first Xbox (with saved games from my college roommate who is no longer living), but the Dreamcast collection I'm pretty sure I could live without. After so many years of not really playing/using this stuff, they are starting to feel like just "things."

The "just sitting there" factor is really what got me thinking about this. I have a closet with boxes full of games that never see use and can't even really be displayed due to my semi-transitory nature. As much as I know emulation can be a sore spot in gaming communities, I tend to agree that I can just emulate if I get especially nostalgic. I dug an old 400 mhz Celeron PC out of the trash and fixed it up to play some older games on, but it's massive, quirky, and kind of a headache to get working just right. There comes a point where emulation is "good enough" and it just becomes a chore to play something on the original system.

This is a good point and one I feel that I've somewhat lived through. I wasn't broke/destitute growing up, but didn't have a lot of money either. I now have a pretty good job and disposable income, but sometimes it does feel like "disposal" of money when I buy something I don't need and may not get around to playing. I find myself checking out prototypes and thinking I could drop the cash on one, but at this point in my life I've mostly lost interest (with the exception of certain PC games... anyone reading this should hit me up if you have anything interesting ;)). I will do my best to take your advice and not dwell on the regret if I decide to sell/give away the collection.

kennypecheur and skyway1985 like this.
  7. GoodTofuFriday

GoodTofuFriday Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

Im currently downsizing to only have systems and a hand full of games along with ever drives. Since i collected rpgs its a lot of time and money spent on searching for a good deal and then not being able to play the game because im playing something else. As of now Ive sold everything nintendo except the wii collection, which is going next. Then sony is next. I'm unsure about xbox collection but most likely thats going too.

I dont really regret it. i had fun finding it all.Time to let someone else enjoy it.

8. skyway1985

skyway1985 Enthusiastic Member

and tofu is the reason why i have most of my junk xD fixed a many of broken consoles from him lol

GoodTofuFriday likes this.
  9. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Spirited Member

I pretty much just use a gaming laptop for current stuff/complex emulation and a GPD XD for everything else, I have one of the Asus T100 things for old PC games and indies. In terms of home consoles I still have GC, PS1 and PS2 collections however I'l planning on selling those shortly and just keeping a single PSOne and PS2 Slim with a few select games. Space is a consideration, I have a room for consoles but we're hoping to move soon and I don't like all that clutter, they're just things at the end of the day and I can release a lot of funds by selling them. Most of the time I buy PS1 and rip it to play on my GPD anyway as it's more convenient for me, I sold all the 16 bit and earlier ages ago as it's just too much to have lying around, as soon as handheld emulation became viable they all went.

I never really got the obsession with sitting in front of the TV to play old games, I did enough of that as a kid and the convenience of emulation handhelds wins out these days. Give me a nice comfy couch and a quality 5" screen any day.

10. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

as a speedrunner, i try to keep as many consoles as i can, since actual hardware is preferable when it comes to speedrunning. couldnt imagine getting rid of any of my collection, even if i quit speedrunning.

11. crissybwoy

crissybwoy Enthusiastic Member

I sold my entire collection about 8 years ago. Occasionally I miss some of the stuff, but realistically the collection was depressing as all I had time to do was look at it, never the time to play! I have no regrets as I can buy something again if I need to or use an emulator.

12. MoonDog

MoonDog Robust Member

I don't know how people manage to deal with huge collections without being overwhelmed by them. Collectors like 'The Last Gamer' just seem to be hoarding for lack of a better term. Now I only collect select PS1 and PC titles that actually have some nostalgic/ sentimental value to them. I guess prototypes as well, but only related to said games. I never intend to get rid of this stuff, save for anything that might have been purchased on a whim in the past.

13. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

That guy is doing it for fame, nothing else. Might also to avoid larger tax too.

14. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

I've rarely ever sold any games or consoles. My original NES was sold along with its games to get a SNES. But after that I probably didn't sell any console or games for a long time. While I've thought at times that I could sell off some or most of it and just do emulation or flash carts and save the space, it just isn't quite the same to me. Emulation especially but even flash carts which let you use the original systems still lack the part of the experience of having the physical game. Some people don't care about that part and many people can't notice a difference between the real thing and emulation but I care about those things and I do notice the issues with emulation.

If you can be satisfied with emulation, you should stick with it. It does have the advantage of saving you a lot of money and space. I can see the appeal of having less stuff around. Or just focusing on a single system or just a couple. One system I sold was my PC-Engine DUO that I had years ago. It was pretty cool but for whatever reason I never really got that into it and stopped playing it. But now I own another DUO, this time a DUO-R with a RGB mod. I made a point this time to actually get into it. The first time I think i just burned some CD-Rs and maybe had a Tototek PCE Pro Flash cart which wasn't very user friendly compared to the EverDrive that came later. This time around I actually bought HuCards and CDs.

For consoles, I think the only other ones I've had and are gone now are my original GBA, a 1000 series PSP I replaced with a 2000 series, a few 360s, and a Xbox One I sold to replace with the Xbox One S. So I really do rarely get rid of consoles. Similarly with games I've sold maybe a few odd games here and there but generally I keep my games. Although I have some 360 games I want to get rid of since they are the kind of games I don't see myself going back to play ever.

When I thought about downsizing to less systems, I was thinking about getting rid of some of my less used consoles but now I don't think I'd ever get rid of any pre-Xbox 360 consoles unless they were broken beyond repair. And same with games pre-Xbox 360 I probably wouldn't get rid of unless they were just crap games from a sale lot or something.

15. Rogue

Rogue Intrepid Member

I'm buying more and more lol
    The thing is, my collection is not random stuff just to have or to show. I can say that one of the few useless games I have is Wheel of Fortune for N64. Damn why I did buy that thing. It's awful.
    Now I don't want fullsets anymore, so I buy in order to play really.

16. Tchoin

Tchoin Site Patron

Good to see you posting Taemos, I understand how you feel, a few years ago I was very, very close to selling all my collection and just keep my desktop PC for gaming and emulation. I thought I would regret it later so I didn't do it, also the pain of having to sell everything separate to maximize profits turned me down from doing it as I did not need the money at that time, and I wasn't going to make a million bucks either.

Now, I have been living in Ireland for the past 2+ years, and 95% of my collection has been sitting in boxes in Uruguay since 2014. I only have here some current gen stuff plus a small collection of handhelds I started, although once again I am starting to consider getting rid of almost everything (say most of the collection except N64DD, Panasonic Q, GB Light, GB Micros and a few other bits that were very hard for me to get) - because I realized I do not need it at all and hardly play retro stuff nowadays.

I guess it's a thing of moods, I'd say give it a good thought, and plan a few scenarios like selling everything, keeping some stuff, etc., and look at the possible outcomes. I'd incline for downsizing keeping the things you are closest to, like the Xbox with your college buddy's saved games.

Taemos likes this.
  17. Mystical

Mystical Resolute Member

I have downsized to practically nothing, as much as I enjoyed the thrill of finding rare bits and pieces I found that storing them is the biggest pain.

From having over 100+ consoles and several thousand games that took up an entire room, I now have pretty much everything I had before using a Raspberry Pi3 - havent looked back!

18. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

100+ consoles? How many duplicates did you have of everything? I couldn't imagine wanting 100 different consoles.