Hard to find / rarest PAL Sega Saturn games

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by brendand, Apr 5, 2012.

1. brendand

brendand Fiery Member

what are the rarest ones ?? =p i have Mr bones PAL version and that is getting hard to find / rare now

2. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Robust Member

I don't think any can be considered 'rare'.

There are some that seem to fetch a nice price though. Swagman typically goes for £50-£100 when it appears on ebay - it's a cracking game too, and is a PAL-exclusive on the Saturn, though the Playstation version can be bought for peanuts. Swagman deserves a place in everyone's collection. Keio Flying Squadron 2 is another.

Most of the 1998 PAL releases, while not being rare in the slightest, are quite sought after and often go for slightly more than most western games. Especially games that didn't make it to the US such as Riven, Deep Fear, World League Soccer '98, Atlantis, etc. These aren't rare or even necessarily very expensive, but are quite sought after.

3. Daikath

Daikath Active Member

Panzer Dragoon Saga pal has to be rare.

4. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  5. Shakey_Jake33

Yeah, it's on ebay all the time and not for really wallet-busting prices (as long as you don't want mint). My assumption is that PAL copies must be more common than US copies because the Saturn had more market share in the UK by 1998 than in the US.

By comparison, the last time I looked there was only two copies of Swagman on ebay, for £70 and £100, and World League Soccer '98 doesn't seem to ever be on ebay.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  6. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Megaman X3 is expensive PAL. Forget the Euro Saturn or SNES versions. You're better with Super Famicom, JP Saturn, US PC, or any cheaper option.

Even importing a US SNES to clip the tabs for an SFC cart would be more cost effective in the long run. Grants you access to the wide range of US and JP SNES games doing so.

7. Shakey_Jake33

^Good point, I've never seen a PAL copy of that game.

8. Metro Spy

Metro Spy <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

I don't think there are that many copies of Deep Fear out there. I'm sure it came out at the same time as Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga as last of the first party Sega games and wasn't really advertised. I was a big Saturn collector at the time and don't ever remember seeing it for sale in shops. I picked up my copy from Ebay sometime years later.

9. Shakey_Jake33

Deep Fear came out in September 1998, which is a good couple of months after Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers was released. That small difference is quite significant because most stores ditched the Saturn during the summer, and Deep Fear was the final PAL Saturn game. I suspect there were many more copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers produced than Deep Fear.

10. dromotobot

dromotobot Newly Registered

Hi, sorry but I came across this thread via Google. I've just listed WLS 98 on eBay. One of my favourite multi-player games when I had the Saturn. Best memory was scoring a Roberto Carlos like goal by curling in a shot from the corner. So much nostalgia but I'm selling my collection. Anyway, this seems a cool forum so I'm off to explore now.

11. Dreamcastnews

Dreamcastnews Gutsy Member

And to look back on this, some high price games mentioned here, but I found that actually the later sports games are probably the rarest. Trying to find copies of Madden 98, NHL 98, NBA All Star 98 and NHL All Star 98 is a chore... They aren't worth mega money but boy are they difficult to obtain.
    Other titles like In the Hunt, Maximum Force, Battle Stations, Courier Crisis, Torico, Virtual Tennis, Striker 96 and such like are worth a mention for hard ones to find in the wild.