Halo 2 Alpha and Beta, and Halo Reach Beta Discs

Discussion in 'Price Check Forum' started by dsasmblr, Jan 18, 2018.

1. TheNew

TheNew Finally leaving it behind

I think everybody would but from what I’ve heard going to hold onto them a little while longer

2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Just let me know if you need any assistance with anything.

CrAzY likes this.
  3. dsasmblr

dsasmblr Member

Thanks, everyone! I've been passing along messages to him from those who are interested. This has been very helpful and it's great to see so many people in this community interested, and interested in helping. I'll be sure to update with any sort of progress, etc. Thanks again, everyone!

Sm0k3, TheNew, CrAzY and 2 others like this.
  4. K1MDD

K1MDD Member

Hey guys,

So, I'm the friend of dsasmblr who has these Halo discs. I want to thank everyone for the tremendous amount of interest this stuff has gotten, and for all of the offers to help I have received. I am going to be selling these discs in a small auction.

With the advice I've gotten from users here, I've been able to acquire and softmod an Xbox, which has allowed me to test and dump the Multiplayer Alpha and Multiplayer Beta discs, as well as the MechAssault 2 disc from this thread. I haven't gotten very far past the home screens of these games as they all seem to require Xbox Live servers to function, but that's a post for a different day.

You might notice I made no mention of the 03-11-04 beta. This disc, labeled MS03301A-MS-R5 and presumed to be a Halo 2 Single Player debug build, is not recognized as a game disc by my Xbox. When trying to run the game on the Xbox with stock firmware, I was greeted by the following error:
    20180120_020358.jpg
    And when trying the disc on my Xbox after performing the softmod, it played a short animation of the Xbox logo and ended up on the following screen:
    20180205_122956.jpg

It looks to me like the Xbox is detecting the disc as a standard video DVD, and is playing a video stored on the first track of the disc rather than accessing the game data. Beyond that, I have pretty much no idea what is causing the issue, or if it is possible to remedy. The label side of the disc does have some light to moderate scratching, but the data side looks near pristine, and there is no visible damage to the foil data layer. The Xbox itself has no problem reading every other disc I throw at it, and I also cracked it open to clean the laser diode for good measure.

Like my friend dsasmblr, my primary interest is in collecting Windows betas, so the preservation of Xbox games is definitely not my area of expertise. I would tremendously appreciate any advice/input you guys can give. Hopefully there's some way to get this disc working!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    DeChief likes this.
  5. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

That same video shows up if you put an Xbox disc into a PC drive. Must be unable to read the proper layer for some reason...

6. ToxicNezha

ToxicNezha Member

@K1MDD You able to post screenshots of what the files are inside the disc?

onza120 likes this.
  7. ToXZiN 1

ToXZiN 1 Spirited Member

Hey guys, I just wanted to share this here incase anyone is interested in the disc contents. I've started a patreon so we can work towards getting a public release of this. Here is the video.

Syclopse and TheNew like this.
  8. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

Did anything ever come of these discs?

We recently dumped the green Halo Reach disc at my preservation group with the 0800 method (DICUI + Kreon wouldn't work).

[​IMG]

9. Borman

Im not lying to you when I say they are nothing :p They were made after Reach launched, they dont even work at this point, etc

10. ddxcb

ddxcb Gota J.T.A.G. That Xbone Yo.

That reach disk was just a XGD3/ New dvd fw test that MS did, then purposely broke said game with a incorrect TU to test the new game on demand features they implemented.

11. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

>Im not lying to you when I say they are nothing :p They were made after Reach launched, they dont even work at this point, etc

While this may be true, it doesn't stop us from datting all sorts of nonsense. I'm on a 2 year demo preservation binge xD

>That reach disk was just a XGD3/ New dvd fw test that MS did, then purposely broke said game with a incorrect TU to test the new game on demand features they implemented.

Which is fine, I'm still trying to get these properly dumped / datted if possible in case any owners have a 0800 dumping setup.

12. Borman

I read your post wrong, and thought the whole thing was referring to the green disk. My bad!

13. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

No prob, I imagine the silver Confidential version doesn't have anything profound on it either xD

14. Borman

Nope, cant remember the difference but they were shipped at the same time.