Half Life for the DC

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Jaysmith2000, May 31, 2006.

1. wheelaa

wheelaa FM Towns / MD Addict Site Supporter 2010-2015

Enough with this Tetris crap. A cursory look on my pc and I've found piccies I stole from tinterweb in Nov 2005, 10 months before PS2 collection. Cursory look. And I'm sure those piccies were not put online that day either! I've known about it for 20 damn years plus lol. If only I could post a srcreencap as then you'd see both piccies and the property box with date thing, but it no worky for me ;(. Ah well.

I do agree with your general points though. It's mostly the difference between the number of manufactured copies, and the number of known copies. Could well be more 'insert shittingly rare vg item' out there. Not every collector does forums. Not many of those that do, divulge all they have.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

I guess I'd just like to see some more investigating going on to authenticate these things...

Going back to Tetris - Is it really that difficult to trace the lineage of these cartridges? Let's take Mundocumbos (or however the hell ya spell it!?) copy - Where did he get it? Did he ask the guy who sold it to him to tell him where he/she got it? (etc...) These important details seem to be totally absent from any of his posts (I also apply this to other 'rare vg', not just Sega Tetris.)

We're talking about a handful of copies - yet nobody can authenticate them? (I mean tell us exactly how they came to end up on the market and not destroyed by Sega) For the prices they've exchanged hands, this doesn't make a whole heap of sense.

Does anyone know what Japanese collectors have to say about it?

Btw/ I'd love to see those pics - I also think it's important to share them here because (a) a lot of ppl visit this forum and, more importantly (b) it would help to provide some 'proof' that it was seen before the Sega Ages comp.

3. wheelaa

You're clearly missing the point on this. There is no debate about MD Tetris. Only in your head it seems. The proof has been on the web for years before the PS2 collection. If you've not seen it, tough. The doubt is yours alone. It's reasonable not to want to take others word for it though, but there's a limit.

Can you tell from the below that I got that from the web on

27 ‎November ‎2005, ‏‎17:56:41 ?

[​IMG]

(PM me an emaill addy and I'll send you a word doc with the piccies and their properties boxes screencapped as tbh this is getting on my wick!)

Edit

I have spoken with a couple of JP collectors, ones who helped me out with info on Go Net, SanSan, other games, before they were as widely known. The question of legit or not wasn't even discussed for Tetris MD. I'm told by a Euro collector I helped get a MD Tetris proto for that one of them sold a copy a while back. Sadly long after he and I were in contact.

Edit 2

And let's not forget the stores in Aki of course. Loads of people saw it before 9/06, I'm sure a quick google will find some historic testimony / piccies.

4. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Cheers - that just about wraps that one up (for me)

No, I wasn't aware of ANY of the above until you just posted it now... and I'm sorry if any of this upset you.

The only thing I don't get now is why Mundocumbo shoved a 1 million dollar price tag on it? It can't be that rare if, as you say, it was in shops in Japan and numerous collectors have copies of it... including a proto.

...as always, thank you.

5. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Pretty sure I've seen PAL Half Life in a second hand shop at some point or other in the past. I didn't even know it was a cancelled game... :/

6. hrahn

hrahn Robust Member

i know that our shop here didn't get the game itself delivered, the news of the cancellation hit one day before the release date, the day it was supposed to ship.
    But, they already hat a stockpile of hint books for it in the back of the store - sadly all of them went back to their headquarters. (was a store from the "gameplay" chain, you might remember their logo with the ladder going through a circle).

7. wheelaa

No worries! I didn't mean to get arsey heh, but all the crap around Tetris MD these days really winds me up, seeing as I am an MD fan and hope to own it one day! Not your fault though!

Why a $1m price tag? Well that's just him trying to show off on the internet. The game is hardly worth that lol. In fact, until he paid E11000 for it, it had never sold (to my knowledge) for even half that. Certainly when he came on here saying he had bought Tetris MD, he wasn't 'Oh cool, I've bought Tetris MD', rather he was 'What's the most expensive video game ever...I may have just bought it!'. The guy is an idiot imo, and his regular ebay account went to shit with lots of bad feedback on some pricey games he sold, so I avoid him.

(Sadly for him, E11000 at the time was not the most expensive game ever sold, and it certainly isn't now!)

As to rarity, well sure, it's rare. But not as rare as Mundo makes out. He claims only 3 copies! Well I know of at least 6 copies now (people like anonymity / tell me / show me things in confidence etc) and three protos of it (my proto copy will finally arrive with me this Thursday!). Certainly there are rarer MD carts to be bought, alebit none would cost as much imo. Also, most of the JP collectors who are actual Japanese JP MD fans / collectors, that I have spoken with, pretty much all reckon there are 20+ copies out there at least. Even a casual follower of AKI stores would have seen more than 3 different copies in the last few years alone I think.

8. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

I don't know about that, i'm not a neuroscientist. But i do know that i saw it and held it with my very own hands, and unlike the pictures in this thread the one i saw was no mockup. A mockup is a mockup is a mockup, retail is a whole different story. ;-)

Anyway there's no possibility of me going back in time and taking pictures for you guys so you can believe whatever.

I was just hoping that some bloodsucking collector would show me some tit after realizing he/she isn't the only one who's aware of the PAL retail pressings.

9. attben

attben Rapidly Rising Member

What happened to this case? Did you manage to sell it?

10. NintendoWiiU

NintendoWiiU Active Member

They really should make a Half Life for Wii U, and any VALVe game on 3DS!

11. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt Rapidly Rising Member

Crazy. I saw one once on eBay for $7 shipped, and it looked like a picture of the original game and everything. What I got in the mail was the game on a CD-R :p congrats on the find!

Once it's loaded, it seems to work okay, but loading times were killer.

12. Metro Spy

Metro Spy <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Found at last! CVG Magazine Scans - HL Review

I finally found my copy of CVG (UK gaming magazine) which reviewed Half Life on the DC in their November 2000 issue (no 228)! Scanned it in at work to share to all you lot!

High res scans are available by clicking on the thumbnails (ImageShack):-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

13. hrahn

hrahn Robust Member

Very nice, thanks a lot! Wonder what happened to the ten copies promised in the article...

14. Aydan

Aydan Spirited Member

If what someone here said is true, the game being cancelled/recalled a day or so before release, where are those 1000's of printed sealed copies??

Surely some must have escaped destruction!!?!

15. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

There is no proof of any GDs being pressed at all.

16. Aydan

Aydan Spirited Member

Ah I see. Then again I'm not surprised since I read up about there being some kinda issue with Save file sizes not being finished/optimised as well as load times.

Still, one of the most biggest letdowns on the Dreamcast next to Shenmue 3 that's for sure.

17. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Wow thanks for sharing! You finally found it and kept your promise to upload it after almost 2 years! You have no idea how much this means to me mate, you are awesome! Gonna put together this with the other scans I have for sure!

18. Metro Spy

Metro Spy <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Well I'm kinda sorry it took so long! However on the other hand I'm pleased I managed to find it as I'd almost convinced myself that I'd gotten rid of it!

19. mattdc

mattdc Member

Packaging only or did you score the game as well?

20. Segafreaknz

Segafreaknz Rising Member