Half Life for the DC

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Jaysmith2000, May 31, 2006.

1. Metro Spy

Metro Spy <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

The PS2 had a small campaign attached too called Decay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life:_Decay

It was a co-operative campaign with each player taking the role of a Black Mesa scientist. It introduced a character who was in Blue Shift too. Recently it has been ported to pc as well.

Blue Shift was developed for DC first and then to PC. Notice that in the DC version if you smash open crates you'll see VMU's and other DC bits. In the PC they are changed but there is a short command to change it IRC.

2. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

The main problem I remember with the DC port was the loading times. Not as bad as the DC port of Soldier of Fortune, but still pretty frustrating. I think the framerate dipped every now and again, too.

3. beretta85

beretta85 Peppy Member

hahahah Solider of Fortune was the first DC game that I bought. You seriously have to sit there for 5-10 minutes per level, while the dreamcast sounds like it cutting down a tree with a chainsaw.

4. microsnakey

microsnakey Member

I mustt be going crazy, but I swear I saw this in a charity shop on holiday. If anyone lives near Hunstanton you might want to check the Sense charity shop

5. VitAmen

VitAmen Guest

correct me if i am wrong, but i remember there was another version of halflife dc floating around that had much shorter loading times.

6. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

That would be either the version that Override optomized, or the Tuxthewise DCres version. Both play much better than the original leaked version, and are optomized to load faster, and have less framrate problems.

You can get both at these sites below, and also, there are many pc mods that have been ported over, the best of which I think are Paranoia and They hunger, both of which are modded to be full stand alone games on DC.

http://www.dcfan.net.ru/forum/f83/

http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=981

Override was going to work on a 1.5 version of Half Life, but he never go to a final release done. His last project was porting the PC HL mod Paranoia, which is like the PC game Stalker in many ways.

7. VitAmen

VitAmen Guest

cool, i'll check em out...

8. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

9. VitAmen

VitAmen Guest

i got hl gold and paranoia runnin on my devkit from the hdd, but unfortunately the loading times are still bad. which are the ones modified by override and tux that play smoother?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2010
  10. jammanutz

jammanutz Spirited Member

wow the HL stuff is awesome, shame it didnt happen, i wonder how far on with porting or dev they got to

11. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Override ported Paranoia, so he used his custom disc structer techniques like better folder placement and dummy files.

I think they load faster than the first version that I ever had, and you can bet your ass that it is far faster than Solder of Fortune ever was.

If you want to see the downloads that we have at Dreamcast-Talk, you must sign up to view the downloads index, they keep it like that to keep out freeloaders.

Paranoia even has saves working, albeit only when prompted in the game.

It was supposedly ready to be pressed, and they even had the stratigy guides sitting on store shelves. I think the version that was leaked was not fully optomized as it could have been, there is still stuttering and framrate issues in game, but it is fully playable, although Override and Dreammatrix and Tuxthewise have optomized the game to the best of their abilities, so without them, this game would not be as great as it is with framerates and loading time as it is today.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  12. Jaysmith2000

Jaysmith2000 Peppy Member

Well, I have finally decided to Ebay my case. :) A difficult decision, but I could use the extra $$$. We'll see if it will sell for my minimum I'll take. ;)

13. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

14. AtarianUK

AtarianUK Rising Member

15. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Until someone else proves that there are other cases, Jay's is the only one that exists in my eyes. Anyone can believe they saw something, but until its there for everyone, its worthless.

16. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Need pictures for proof.

And Jaysmith has actual proof.

17. wheelaa

wheelaa FM Towns / MD Addict Site Supporter 2010-2015

Didn't former member Alien Workshop claim to have a full sealed retail copy? (Iirc I read a post over on Digit Press) Maybe it was a different unreleased DC game...

Edit
    Ok, so I got that a little wrong. ProgrammingAce....

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1446234&postcount=33

Unless that's a dry comment only, given the discussion in the thread......

Edit 2
    Actually are they one and the same? Or was it those two that got pissy with each other and left at the same time? Not that that matters with regards to Half Life DC!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  18. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Jaysmith's copy came from a Sierra offices clearout sale - Now you don't print 'one' copy and leave it at that, chances are there were other mock up copies made for promotion but they were either a) destroyed or b) haven't been found yet.

19. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

And I'm sure the Rosetta Stone the British currently posses wasn't the only copy of that specific text carved into stone but good luck furnishing a second one.

And there is a chance it was a one off printing. Unlikely but to deny the possibility is idiocy.

20. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Actually, I do have a dusty old stone tablet here that looks a lot like it... I'm open to best offers.

If it's printed, I'd say there's a good chance it wasn't a one off printing - like I said, the costs are too high. Unless of course Sierra had their own printing press? You wouldn't print 'one' sample cover... you'd probably do a run of 50/100.

All I'm saying is that (in the gaming world) a lot of these holy grails seem to lack any kind of proof to validate their crazy prices.

Megadrive/Genesis Sega Tetris is a good example - Does anyone have a photo of a copy of this particular title that was taken before the Sega Ages compilation was released (which included a rather handy cover scan/manual)

For a game worth tons of cash, surely there's at least a photo of this item that predates it? Just a photo... that's all I ask.

I don't think it's fair to stick hefty price tags on things that can't be proven - There's a lot of money at stake and there are definitely people out there who would take advantage of the situation given the right tools...

All I'm saying is people should investigate first - before assuming.