Half Life for the DC

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Jaysmith2000, May 31, 2006.

1. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I'd be interested to see an unreleased game be bought up, ripped, put out on ebay with a notice that the game had been ripped and would be online soon, just to see how much it could get back. Even if it lost several hundred dollars in value, if it was a community effort (ie everyone gets back the proportional amount of money they put into it when the auction's over) it'd probably not be too poor a deal for all concerned and would eliminate the tricky community dump question "who gets to keep the original?" which is pretty tough if everyone's chipped in.

2. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  3. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

I think there is something to the community-based payment method, where everyone chips in just a little. You don't have any one person taking an excessively large hit to the wallet, and everyone gets to play the game. Win/Win, in my opinion.

4. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

At the end of the day some collectors wont sell the games because they dont want it to be released to the public and then complain they some how lost money when the price has dropped due to a release.

5. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Agreed, but the question is always "who gets to keep it?", which is tricky to answer. Redistributing the wealth from the auction seems to me a better idea, I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened yet. Take the amount made in the resale, divide it by the original cost, multiply each donation by it and give that amount back to each individual. True win/win, you just need someone to front the cash in the first place.

6. Jaysmith2000

Jaysmith2000 Peppy Member

I couldn't agree more. I've avoided any discussions on unreleased games I have(besides stuff for the Atari systems), for just that reason. About 3 years ago I bought Robinson's Requiem for the Jaguar for $1200. I spent a couple years trying to secure the rights from a bankrupt french company to release it. When all failed, I went to a known Jaguar distributor and sold it to them for exactly what I paid in the hopes they would get it released. It's fun to play an unreleased game before anyone else, but I don't get any thrill holding on to them. I'd rather get them to someone that can do something with them and get them out to the public LEGALLY....

7. OtakupunkX

OtakupunkX Active Member

So I'm not entirely sure if this has been brought to anyone here's attention or anything (I didn't really have time to go through this whole thread), but EmuParadise.org apparently has a rom for Half-Life DC for download.

8. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

ISO, you mean. Half-Life (DC) has been available for some time now.

9. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't owning most unreleased game technically illegal? I know that a lot of games have some sort of sticker that says "NOT FOR RESALE". I thought that typically videogame companies try to either retain to themselves or destroy unreleased games and the only time that they're sold is if someone steals one. If that's the case, then how is it any worse for people on the internet to play it illegally?

Regarding the debate about the price going down of a released game and "who gets to keep it", wasn't it John Lennon who said, "art belongs to the people"?

Sorry I'm replying to these posts months after they were written, but I just read some of them.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  10. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Legally means written permission. Jay has had that for most (I think all) of the games he has personally released.

11. OtakupunkX

OtakupunkX Active Member

ISO, rom, in the end they're all the same, but that's a discussion for another time. Didn't know it had been available for awhile though.

12. Atariboy

Atariboy Guest

13. kanaka

kanaka Spirited Member

sorry for bringing this thread back, but the photos are no longer available, maybe you can post it again Jaysmith2000, i really wanted to see this great find of yours, Half-Life is one of my favorite games, and to see a real pic of it would be great!
    Seeya!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  14. Blai

Blai Enthusiastic Member

Yeah id' like to have them too.
    If anyone can upload them he'd make us very happy.

15. davenixdorf

davenixdorf Peppy Member

16. Jaysmith2000

Jaysmith2000 Peppy Member

Hey all,

Better late than never, I know several of you had asked that I fix these dead links. It's done. :thumbsup: Head to the first page to check it out... Enjoy the pics...

17. beretta85

beretta85 Peppy Member

Has anyone seen the mods people have done with the DC Half Life?

Some people have completely reworked this unreleased title into amazing things. One of the most notable that I can think of is Counter Strike for the Dreamcast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhmjdwmgwWM

I think there have been other custom releases of this game with new missions, but I can't recall them.

18. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

I know the They Hunger series was supposebly ported to it, as well as the mod Paranoia. (i think) Too lazy to provide links, so google it.

BTW, noticed on the case it says that Blueshift was solely created for the Dreamcast version? Since when? Was always sure it began as a PC title.

19. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Created side by side for the DC and PC, along with the higher poly count models, obviously later the DC version was cancelled and the PC version was released. Kind of weird that (as far as I remember) the PS2 version doesn't have Blue Shift.

20. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

No it indeed does not, instead they made it so you could play as the Vortigaunt through the whole SP again. Kinda weird, but fun for awhile. :flamethrower:
    As for the DC version of HL... I do wanna play it someday, but its not a need. I dont see how it could be more fun than the PC version. ;-)