Half Life for the DC

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Jaysmith2000, May 31, 2006.

1. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Supposedly there are multiple revisions out there on GD-R. Theres the one we all know floating on the web.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Kron have a copy of HLDC? It might be the one floating around but I'm not sure anymore. I take claims that any new copies aren't the ones floating around as heresay unless they're willing to provide any proof, a comparison video would be enough for me showing some sort of improvement. I'd wager it's mere claims to bolster their own ego/value of their gd-r if they ever sold it. Feel free to correct me if there is any proof to the contrary.

What seems somewhat strange to me is that they would have a manual and case art professionally done but not press any gd-roms. I suppose they could have made these in house or in a small batch for showing off and gd-roms needed to be pressed at a factory. Speculation on my part at best.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  2. Kron

Kron Gutsy Member

I've got one of the unreleased *Final* versions they sent for authorisation that hasn't been leaked.

I found the back cover picture very interesting as it shows the Win CE mark. The game started out in development on the Win CE SDK but was moved over to the standard sdk for quality purposes (frame rate) at a later point so the cover is probably quite an early one comparitively.

Good find! I've seen the poster before though.

3. furmentinhate

furmentinhate Member

you'd probably have to take a bullet to get that copy from you though, right?

4. henzenmann

henzenmann Member

Hehe, 180 blocks on the VMU. That has got to be a record :icon_bigg

5. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

your next save will probably be less. the code for saving isn't optimized which is why the save sate sizes can dramatically change.

Yakumo

6. Jaysmith2000

Jaysmith2000 Peppy Member

Right after a stack of Benjamins.... ;-)

7. Szczepaniak

Szczepaniak Robust Member

Now this could just be because I've only recently woken up (partially hung-over), but are you being sarcastic? Because I don't quite understand the sentence.

Why would you be especially happy it's in a collector's hands? As opposed to what else, the developer's hands?

Otherwise, nice find Jay. :nod:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  8. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

It's either a quip at the fact collectors are hoarders and refuse to let the public play a game they should be able to (my personal ideology that is shared by many). Such greatness should not be limited to one. The value has never dropped on any game when leaked to my knowledge, except for Flintstones Viva Rock Vegas white label, but that game was just trash.

On the other hand, he could be happy that it is actually out and about and known to exist and potentially could be ripped for the public. At least with a gd-r in the Krons hands we know SEGA, Sierra, etc didn't end up destroying the best known build.

Would I rip it and put it out if I had the disk? Probably, if I could get it to work. Do I have the cash to buy it? Hell no and probably won't for a while. PA is still worth a tidy sum to me. Rather play the original than some lousy copy.

9. Jaysmith2000

Some confusion over what I have apparently. I haven't shown a GDR in any of my posts or a final pressed copy of HL, I merely have the packaging. Not sure how I can rip this and post it for everyone to download. :shrug: I think Roi was simply saying he's glad the packaging didn't get destroyed and is safe in someone's hands that won't throw it out with the garbage...

10. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Yeh, I know that. Looks like I made a misstake when reading the quote, I thought it was a quip at the Kron having the gd-r. My misstake. I would however worship you for life if you'd scan the pages and add heavy watermarking/nuts with the adobe pdf DRM or whatever.

11. Jaysmith2000

No worries man! :thumbsup: I want to avoid any problems with copyright issues, and as I understand it Half Life is one of the more aggressive when it comes to that kind of stuff. It's one of the reasons I'm so into the Jaguar since Hasbro released all rights to it before they sold it to Infogrames. Allows me to SHARE! ;-)

I forgot to mention, I'm auctioning off one of the 3 HL posters I have....

12. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Hmm. From what I was told the rights to the DC stuff was in limbo. Sierra no longer exists, at least to an extent. Vivendi no longer has the disto rights to anything Valve makes (last I heard). Anyone with expertise know the specifics?

Let's see...

Gearbox was doing the porting under contract with Valve and was to be published by Sierra. GearBox has already been paid, don't think they have anything to lose. My bet is that Valve still has the rights to the DC version but don't exercise them. Speculation on my part completely.

13. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

Can I have a copy of that cd? I'll make you a PSP port if you do!! :love:

14. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Is the framerate a consistent 24-30fps on the version you have, or is there still some slowdown?

15. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Not true. The value of pretty much any game drops like a rock once it's released. PA is a perfect example. As soon as this board leaked it onto the net, all versions of PA became persona non-grata among the high-end collectors. Anyone who leaks a game, kills the value of it.

-hl718

16. Jaysmith2000

I can't with this. I'm in negotiations with someone right now on it. It'll be up to them what to do with it. ;-)

17. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I've never really bought that argument. Would a collector want the gd-r which is legit or a copyright infringing cd-r copy that could have been downsampled? I can see the value dropping some because every person who ever dreamed of having Half-life for the DC now can play it and doesn't have to pay $2-5k to do it. Very few of them were actually willing and even fewer capable of paying that price.

If the Kron offered his disk for sale right now at $5k, I'll guarentee you he will find a buyer.

18. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

I can speak from personal experience on this one. Before PA was leaked, I had a regular stream of pretty lucrative offers. After it was leaked, all the offers dried up. Selling a GD-R of an unreleased, but leaked, game for $5k is a pipe dream. :(

-hl718

19. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

I've somewhat changed my opinion on this matter, too. What I've seen make unreleased games so intriguing is the mystery to them - once they're released, they're pretty much dissected. I've seen value of the games drop considerably with a release. It's ultimately up to the collector, though, since they're the ones who paid good money for the game.

However, I have no respect for people that constantly tell others about their collection of unreleased goods just to get some sort of thrill out of it. Either release it or don't, but don't be a dick about it (not speaking to anyone in particular here).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  20. Atariboy

Atariboy Guest

I downloaded this game, burn it on CDR and played both Half-Life and Blue Shift and I beated it some time ago but its still one of my fave Dreamcast game out there^_^