Half-Life for Dreamcast has some functional multiplayer components

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by TerdFerguson, Jul 13, 2015.

1. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

i install isobuster i open fixed.iso but the half life plus folder is empty. my steps i open cdrip.exe i choose HALF-LIFE+.cdi and it extracts 2 bins and 2 cues i take the larger bin and place it in isofix folder. i run isofix.exe type the name of the bin and put 11702 lba

MeTaL-VeLCRo likes this.
  2. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

Are you doing this on the larger of the two bins?

3. truemaster1

yes
    update i open with iso buster the larger bin file instead of fixed.iso in this case the isobuster see files in the half life plus folder but it give 2 errors when extracting on 2 last lbas
    update 2 the diference in menus and characters resolution between repack version and yours is in file called pak0.wad its a 220mb file in valve folder

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  4. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Why don't you use my script? It's made to extract 11702 CDI selfboots, it was made specifically for the DCRES release in fact.

Just install python (I suggest pythonXY here: https://python-xy.github.io/downloads.html) and run "python dumpcdi11702.py image.cdi".
    Make sure there's no space in the filename for extra precaution.

On my system, it extracts all the data, dumps the ip.bin and generates the sortxt.txt, all in around one second.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  5. truemaster1

i will mess around with half life more. the good news is i found the file with the better models now its just of file mixing (remind me my previus project veronica a little)

6. truemaster1

no it cant be done if i change the pak0.pak along with halflife_dc.exe it needs both files in order to work the game will play as the repack one. with all its bugs. even if i keep all the other files from your release. so its not good

7. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Are you talking to yourself? Like, replying to your own previous post?

TerdFerguson likes this.
  8. truemaster1

i gave up hope too early last time. today i had a lot of free time and i finish it!!!
    what with this new half-life build?? it has all the files from the plus version (the one you gave me @TerdFerguson )
    main half life game, blue shift, and opposing force, are play ok haven't play them till finish though.
    what i did? i extract the PAK0.PAK from the plus version and from repack version. add the models from the repack
    and i also put the sounds from repack. and create a new PAK0.PAK file
    now the models are ps2 like!!
    the difference in sounds are basicly the dialogs from the other charcters, for exaple now you can hear them welcome you
    when exiting the train or entering the reception. but everything else like menus and loading times are plus like!!
    i also hexedit ip.bin now it will seen by emulators or gdmenu sdcard maker as HALF-LIFE instead of CRAZYTAXI.
    link https://firedrop.com/7013e285f5371265a8557e6c60988043
    i realy hope that i take it one step forward.
    @americandad yeah i should had edit my last post, instead of replying to my self:p its a mistake i often do.
    update test it in demul emulator alongside pcsx2 its look superior in dc in comparison. ps2 wins only in colors
    update 2 the game runs rock solid
    bugs remain
    the save it self it reach 107 blocks wtf!! something is wrong
    after loosing the option load from last save point sometimes work, sometimes it starts you from begining

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Anthony817 and sa1 like this.
  9. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

There is an alternate 'save' command you can use in the console that generates a different save file I think than using 'save' from the menu. I'm not sure if it is actually a different type of save file, is a smaller file, or just a quicksave command to bypass the menu

I think the command is 'save <save name>'. But I'm not sure, it might bring up the save menu and if it does its not the right command

Edit: IIRC the quicksave command saves a file.sav while the menu save option saves a file.hl1
    But again I'm not sure

10. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Wow looks like I have been away for too long. I will be grabbing this new version truemaster1 and you collaborated on. PS2 models on Dreamcast? Count me in!

I still want to see the original PC models replacing everything in the DC version to see how much it helps optimize it. Often times the older mods like They Hunger and U.S.S. Darkstar tend to run better since they use the original 1998 Goldsource engine and lower quality models.

truemaster1 likes this.
  11. truemaster1

just try it and you will see:) opposing force is a problematic one. but no dc port of that is any good. i try to put models from pc version but unlike blue shift and standar half life. it goes out of memory perhaps 16 mb ram is low for opposing force the original image terd give is with the old models.

12. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Ah ok awesome thanks downloading and backing both versions up to my spare hdd.

13. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

If you want the HLDC 'HD' models in opposing force, just open <cd_root_dir>\VALVE\PAK0.PAK with Wally, a program for Quake/Half-Life, and merge the "models" folder with <cd_root_dir>\OP4CE\PAK0.PAK (there are many PAKs for opposing force so you need to find the PAK with the models folder

As you said though you might run out of memory
    And Opposing Force is only semi-playable anyway even if memory space wasn't an issue

Edit: Probably going to make a new thread soon requesting someone try compiling client.dll and hl.dll cleanly and putting the ported source on github so nobody has to do it again whether it works or not. Both the engine binary (closed source) and the HLSDK (open source) obviously come from the same codebase so it can most likely be injected into memory with a loader. This thread is pretty much derailed or general HLDC modding/research thread

Just a matter of someone with the skill who wants to buckle down and port

14. fafadou

fafadou Enthusiastic Member

Do you know someone ?

15. Xerxes3rd

Xerxes3rd Rapidly Rising Member

@TerdFerguson Is a devkit necessary for this, or can one set up the development environment without the full devkit hardware?

16. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

@Xerxes3rd Yes and no, one thing I want to test is if command line parameters work with dc-tool (in the wce kit, remote command shell for wce kernel on dreamcast)

Problem is, the debug kernel binary (0WINCEOS.BIN) makes it crash on devkit. I'm actually doing some fiddling right now on emulator with debug image. Someone will test if I can fix the crash

Else, I have source code for a Windows CE 1.0-2.1 command shell, but it's was written for Japanese WCE and it's for SH3. So you'd need to A.) port from Kanji to our charset B.) Port to SH4 C.) Make it display in a fullscreen window with direct draw D.) and Maple/DirectInput for using the keyboard E.) Integrate it into "Windows CE Loader" (which is for dreamcast) with the loader as the foundation since it already displays the filesystem and registry

But we'd also need a properly ported/compiled client.dll and hl.dll for WCE SH4 to use any of that

Attached a crapload of source code for WCE programs, including the Kanji Command Shell. And how to add registry keys to WCE so nobody has to dig through the thread

Attached Files:

17. Xerxes3rd

Xerxes3rd Rapidly Rising Member

@TerdFerguson So, let me make sure I understand the whole thing. HLDC runs under WinCE, meaning that the DC boots (a possibly scaled-down version of) WinCE, which then starts the HLDC executable. When you try to swap in a debug WinCE kernel, HLDC crashes, or the WinCE kernel itself crashes?

Porting the WinCE Command Shell from SH3 and Kanji to SH4 and English sounds like a large undertaking.

18. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

HLDC crashes. I did some testing before on emu as I said and it only crashes when the GDI driver is enabled in the "image configuration tool"

Without the GDI (graphics) driver, it halts at "Sega: produced by or licences by" screen. But it also does this when using WinDBG kernel debugger on retail console while it waits for the debugger to give it the okay to start the kernel process. So it might be waiting for the devkit's debugger, I can't test

19. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

MOVED TO OTHER THREAD SORRY ADMINS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  20. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

i summon this thread to express my frustration at the continued lack of interest in this, link the other threads related to this project\research, and to suggest this thread be stickied because while unorganized this thread might be the best documentation of GoldSRC for Dreamcast

https://assemblergames.com/threads/...dk-extension-dlls-cleanly-to-windows-ce.64408
    https://assemblergames.com/threads/use-of-hooks-api-interception-to-inject-goldsrc-extensions.64794/
    http://github.com/FaucetDC/hldc-sdk

haven't done anything pertaining to this though since january, it's pretty much up to someone with enough skill / interest / free time

FuzzyFish and Anthony817 like this.