Half Life Dreamcast - GamePro Review Scan

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by GungriffonEX, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

You would think though, if the game was done 100% (which isn't clear, even with the leaks), and if pressed copies existed, that even just one would exist at the developer's studio. Instead, they had the case, the manual, the artwork, but no game.

2. dclover56

dclover56 Rising Member

So this game was ready, and just needed the gold build. But we know what happened after that.

3. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

If there really were pressed copies then they factory producing them would have had to produce a minimum of 'x' amount. It wouldn't have been ten or twenty copies, it would have been hundreds to justify the cost of producing a glass master to make the discs in the first place. It's been over a decade and nobody has seen any of these discs, although many claim to have seen them in shops at around the time it was due to be released. This makes no sense whatsoever - I suspect it's people's minds playing tricks... perhaps they saw the ps2 or PC version near the DC discs, they saw a standee, etc... Seeing, frankly speaking, is believing. Saying "I'm sure I saw it." isn't.

The fact that mock up boxes were made isn't so far fetched - it's promo material that would have been sent around various arms of Sega for evaluation, approval, etc. We've seen many examples of mock-up boxes for games that never saw the light of the day for various platforms over the years.

I'm 100% sure no physical copies (discs) of Half Life for the Dreamcast were ever in stores for sale or display. The closest thing you'll get is the PAL white label promo, which only includes the promo video.

4. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

You could have had the initial test presses of the disk, but even that is unlikely. There were talks that the game wasn't even complete, despite the leaks being called "Gold," due to the issues they were having (with things like the loading times)

5. Dreamcastmaster

Dreamcastmaster Active Member

I worked for the 3rd Party Publishers department for SOE, although Sierra was not my account it was handled by one of the other executives in my department and I can assure you no PAL copies were ever pressed. The game was never submitted for internal testing and was cancelled before it was ready to be.

6. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Thanks Dreamcastmaster - this seems to put the matter to rest once and for all - that, and the fact that not one single copy has ever appeared in the last ten years.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013