Half Life Dreamcast - GamePro Review Scan

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by GungriffonEX, Jun 1, 2009.

1. kanaka

kanaka Spirited Member

Oh I remember the version from Fatalist! It is the only version that I know confirmed besides the leaked one (of course there are other versions in private hands but nobody likes to share info :< ).

I remember seeing this picture in a spanish website a looooong time ago, probably circa 2002 (but I can't remember well), the site was called Emudec or something like that. I saved the picture because of the cool "CD-R discs for Dreamcast" (I didn't know shit about GD-R at the time), little I knew that these were protos:

[​IMG]

The top-right disc is the same as the one Fatalist posted in a forum 3 years ago, I think the forum was "Game of the Art" or something similar:

[​IMG]

I would love to know the journey of that disc to the Fatalist's collection, and what differences are there. Ryo if you can talk to him to post here some info I think we will appreciate it a lot! (and I hope he doesn't get mad at me because I saved the picture, but I love this type of things especially about Half-Life)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. pato

pato Resolute Member

half life for dreamcast was cancelled in june 15 2001, and the leaked build is from may 23 2001, there might be little diferences.

3. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

@kanaka, THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is nice to look at if anything else.

@Pato, Do you have a picture of the original leaked HL disc?

Let's hope that somebody else cares about this game as much as we do. This is one of the top 5 FPS games ever made, nobody can deny that. :dance:

Why aren't more Dreamcast fans asking for this newer version than we are?

4. pato

pato Resolute Member

Anthony, the date is from a commom error in the game, even using mods you can see it sometimes.

5. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

6. Ryo Suzuki

Ryo Suzuki Rapidly Rising Member

I could ask, but i suppose he don't want sell or release it with donations or something...

What lead you to think he wants to sell of rip for us? BTW I suppose he already rip the disc for backup purpose.

Fatalist is a great collector and I think a good guy too. But as far as I know never made releases of his unrelesed/beta stuff and if I tell the truth I think he don't wanna change is behavior in that sense. Don't misinterpret me, he is within his rights.

Hey!! Good work kanaka, you still have this pics. Good to see it again!!

I suppose you mean EMUDEK, a spanish site related to news of scene, etc. If you see the logo maybe it remember you:

[​IMG]

As I was saying, I don't give a press scoop or reveling some exclusive information telling Fatalist have a prototype of Half Life. As you prove is something public and a lot of people as aware of it.

Regarding the journey of that disc to the Fatalist's collection, I don't know for sure but maybe I can make a speculation.

I am not 100% sure but I think the people of Lost and Found have a prototype GDR of Half Life DC. As you maybe know, they released some stuff in form of pressed CD-ROMS with beta/unreleased games selling it througn kind of reproductions.

I hear they are gonna to release HALF Life in the next volume of L & F, but then the Half Life was leaked.

This people can check his version is more advanced in development that the released one, and then think maybe don't worth for release it as Lost and Found volume...

And if I not wrong this people sell it to the webmaster or Dreamcast history, and later he sells it to Fatalist.

I am not totally sure of this things, but I hear this is the way the beta make this way to fatalist hands...

I want to tell something about the APE's link. Very interesting info!! But i have to go to work. I post later. Regards!!

7. kanaka

kanaka Spirited Member

Yes that's the website! I used to visit that page every single day back then, I still don't know any other site like that. Do you remember this? :
    [​IMG]

Anyway, very interesting story behind Fatalist's disc! Thanks a lot for sharing it! So far we know that The_Kron and Fatalist possibly have different builds. Are they more stable builds? that would be awesome!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  8. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

I didn't think he wanted to sell it, I just want this game pretty badly and if there is a later build of the game, that could potentially help Half-Life modding on the Dreamcast, I will do what I can to get it released to the net.

Like I said, I didn't assume anything, nor do I think he would part with it, but if it is out there, I want to do everything in my power to try and get it.

Thank you to everybody that posted and replied, I was waiting for an answer for a LOOONG time hehe.

9. jaunelapin

jaunelapin Spirited Member

10. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

11. Metro Spy

Metro Spy <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

CVG Review Scan (Incomplete)

Not complete, but I have finally found the first section of the CVG Half Life DC review (that I've previously mentioned on here). See below link for full sized copy:-

[​IMG]

I scanned this way back in 2003, no sign of the other pages in the review unfortunately (I only randomly came across it on an old drive backup).

For reference I managed to work out that the magazine issue was number 228 (November 2000), which has the cover Lara Exposed (for TR Chronicles).

12. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Awesome Metro! You finally found it that's great news! This will help me in my quest to have all paper media of the game scanned!

Thanks a lot man! This will help me out for future reference at least! :pray:

Oh happy day! :thumbsup:

You kept your word and for that I am in your debt!

13. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

14. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

15. Goveynetcom

Goveynetcom Member

16. q3hardcore

q3hardcore Newly Registered

I know this is a bit of a bump...

From the looks of things, the leaked version only has a hazard course for Half-Life. They were working on a new hazard course for the DC version, for both Blue Shift and Half-Life, which is shown in this magazine review.

The PC version of Blue Shift has an edited version of Half-Life's hazard course, but from the included qconsole.log, looks as if it didn't even include the hazard course earlier in development.

17. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Yes and as i've said before PAL Half-Life was up on the shelves in a local gaming store. I don't know for how long, but it was.
    At the time I didn't have a Dreamcast. My guess is it was one of those stores that didn't care for release dates and sold everything they had in stock and that any pressed copies were recalled by manufacturer/valve/sierra.
    Anyway i'm not trolling, just telling you what i witnessed.

18. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Uh no one has ever, EVER, proven that, despite what you think you saw. I think we've been over this. Display cases existed. A final manual exists as well, but that was from someone who bought developer stock. Heck, no one has ever proven that the game went gold (other than the strategy guides...).

19. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

I agree with you, it hasn't been proven.
    I asked the clerk about it years later and it's interesting because he denied even having display cases. The thing is I wasn't the only one who saw it in his store.

20. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I know Nintendo had a nasty habit of publishing strat guides in Nintendo Power before the game was released and made them up before the game was even finished. Zelda OoT being an obvious example that they even answered a letter to them after the fact about it.