Half Life Dreamcast - GamePro Review Scan

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by GungriffonEX, Jun 1, 2009.

1. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

no they certainly didn't. though an official dc wince version has been leaked.

2. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Robust Member

I don't know about hacks, but there is a very advanced (relatively speaking) port of Counter-Strike to the Dreamcast, using a hacked version of Dreamcast Half Life.

3. americandad

yes, and there's also Opposing Force port; They Hunger TC mod; 007 GoldenEye TC mod; Paranoia TC mod; Grunt TC mod and much more.
    :D

Any more info on this? I'm sure this wasn't the only place in Sweden (Europe) where HLDC in fact was retailed.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  4. Saturn

Saturn Member

I came across this topic when i was searching for more information on this game because I recently spoke to a couple of friends about this.

I know two people who have seen it. One is a friend of mine who was pretty sure to see the game for sale at a store. He described the cover and told me he was quite sure he saw the game. However, he couldn't remember everything that well and he couldn't guarantee 100% that it really was the game. He was the first person to ever tell me such a thing. I assumed he was making some sort of confusion or something like that because that seemed hard to believe

A couple of weeks later I spoke to a collector I know personally and told him about that. To my surprise, he immediately told me he really saw the game for sale as well at a certain store and he guarantees he's 100% sure he really saw the game. This guy knows what he's talking about and after this I do believe the game was also sold in stores over here in Portugal.

Over the years I've been collecting, I haven't seen or at least I don't remember seeing just a single copy of it, not even pictures. If it really was sold over here even if just for one day, somebody would have bought it and it will appear one day if it really exists.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  5. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

I still dont believe it. No final copies have ever been verified. Memories lie. I bet there were some case mock ups or something like that, but until someone shows me a retail copy of the game, that they legitimately bought, I don't buy it.

6. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

Agree with Borman, Strat Guides and Mock Cases might have leaked their way into the wild, but people saying they saw a retail copy are just confusing themselves.

7. pato

pato Resolute Member

The is a thread of a user showing the box and manual of the game.

Funny there is a error that i found when black ops mod was loading, it even happens with the vanilla version, sounds like one of glitch cases like zelda skyward sword, and splinter cell pandora tomorrow for gamecube.

8. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

That was Jaysmith2000 IIRC. There was no pressed GD-ROM in the box and manual but it was clear that the case inserts and manual had been sent to a professional printer at some point prior to cancellation. Might be an entire box in storage somewhere of inserts and manuals.

But there as hell don't seem to be any pressed GD-ROMs.

9. Borman

And that was bought from old stock directly from the developer, not a retail store. Strange how even the company who made the game didn't have the pressed GD-rom.

10. pato

pato Resolute Member

Well then i think there might be another reason why the game was cancelled

The error i said before is

Access - Violation Exeption At 01D22CDC
    Access: Read At 00000000
    Parms: [00000000] [00000000]
    Stack @ 0C3BFC1C: 00E067A4 00000000 00A28C20
    FFFFFFF9 00177552 0000000D 00000000 00380D90

PR: 01D14628
    GBR: 8CFCDB68
    SR:00008001

DC RELEASE BUILD 1672
    DATE: MAY 23 2001
    (MNEMO ARENA PAGE IN FAILED)

I think when gearbox noticed this was a frequent error, along with the death of dreamcast, it was the reason for being cancelled.

11. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Ok, I will ask it again. Is there a later build of the game? Seriously, if so, this version if released would most likely be a boom to the thriving Half-Life DC modding community.

http://www.dcfan.net.ru/forum/f83/

Why hasn't anybody pushed to have this version released here for all to enjoy?

I see from the quotes that the later version is a Katana build? Please could somebody elaborate on this further?

If you guys can't already tell by now, I am the biggest Half-Life Dreamcast fan.

If anybody is a big enough fan of Half-Life as I am, then you would also be happy to know I have the most complete collection of Half-Life Dreamcast magazine scans that took me over a year to amass extensively talking with collectors over the net.

In PDF format and even includes the Dreamcast Prima Strategy guide, Ntsc covers and every magazine article, review and advertisement pages I could get my hands on.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KI8KMJ6Y

I did all that work for us. Please return the favor and let me know what the hell is up with a Katana build of the game please guys? ;)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  12. Zomby

Zomby Spirited Member

Does someone has the original scan from post #1 I can't see it.

13. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

It's included in my scans mega pack.

14. kanaka

kanaka Spirited Member

Wow amazing magazine compilation! thanks a lot Anthony817!

I am so willing to pay for a more advanced version of HL DC and share, but getting a person that owns it and wants to sell it is a different matter entirely.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  15. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Thanks. Yeah I know what you mean. That is why I am so interested in somebody just sharing the info or outright confirming this rumor.

A Katana build? That would mean they would have completely rebuilt the game from the ground up wouldn't it? That is what I am curious about more than anything else.

I mean, we already have 2 single player PC mod ports that work 100%, Paranoia, and They Hunger Trilogy.

They are having problems with porting more advanced mods, and have been working on the Half-Life SDK to try and make the Dreamcast version compile with .dll's so as to let us port any and all HLPC mods to the system, granted the levels and polygons weren't too taxing.

I wish APE would see this post lol, I would much rather hear it directly from him if this thing exists or not.

16. americandad

17. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Seriously? Then why do most people say it was never released, and why do we have such a buggy version if there was a Katana/retail version released?

Please for Gods sake, can somebody answer my question above? I have been wanting to know about this for the past year lol. Come on guys, help a dude out. :pray:

18. Ryo Suzuki

Ryo Suzuki Rapidly Rising Member

Forget it, mate. Never was released.

Usually collectors having stuff like that don't want to leak it. With or without donations, Anthony817.

The fact they could have it don't means they must or want to share and release it publicly.

As far as I know Fatalist, a collector from here just like me (Spain) have a build different that the release one. Is a prototype in more advanced status of development as far I know, I don't know more details.

I hope fatalist don't bother for I was posting this information here. I am pretty sure he visit and reads assembler forums and in some cases he told me finds a bit funny some things we said about his stuff.

Btw is hard to believe the existence of a Katana version. I am reluctant to accept it in spite some friends from here are telling us. The dates don't match, i thinks is very difficult they have the time to start a whole new version :banghead:

19. Borman

Still don't believe it until there is proof. 10 years, and no one has provided a single shred of evidence that the game was pressed and finished, other than he said-she saids.

20. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

No, I totally realized that just cause something existed that it didn't mean that we were owed anything by anyone.

Thank you so much for answering me. I was just very curious about this whole thing, and have been waiting patiently for anything from somebody to tell me something about it.

I would like to know how much different this version really is from the leaked version.

Could you please talk to him for us and ask him if he would be interested in ripping it or anything?

What is his price? If he ripped it for a price couldn't he still keep the disc?

There are a few guys trying to get .dll's working on Dreamcast version of Half-Life by modifing the Half-Life SDK, so in theory we could post any HLPC mod to the Dreamcast as long as it was not too much for the system to run. With this advancement we would change actual game logic, so we could do all kinds of things. It would open up so many possibilities for Dreamcast homebrew.

Imagine a racing game made in the Half-Life engine with graphics worthy of other retail Dreamcast games.

[​IMG]

Here is the thread where they are working on the SDK.

http://www.dcfan.net.ru/forum/f83/compiling-hl-sdk-dlls-dc-using-wince-devkit-3567/