Half-Life 4/20/01 Dreamcast prototype Found!

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Ivan GR, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Ivan GR

Ivan GR Rising Member

2. SiZiOUS

SiZiOUS Spirited Member

WOW ! :D

LuizNai, TerdFerguson and Ivan GR like this.
  3. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

Wow! Great find. Hope they dump the contents.

LuizNai likes this.
  4. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

Hope he will the things to do.

LuizNai likes this.
  5. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

DUMP IT DUMP IT DUMP IT WOW

EDIT: TYPING "STATUS" COMMAND IN CURRENT BUILD WILL GIVE THE BUILD DATE, SOMEBODY DO THIS

EDIT2: IF THIS HAS MULTIPLAYER I WILL S*** MY PANTS

EDIT3: @wombat SAID RANDY PITCHFORD SAID THEY GOT THE MULTIPLAYER UP AND RUNNING BEFORE CANCEL

EDIT4: START GETTING EXCITED
    https://assemblergames.com/threads/...nal-multiplayer-components.57318/#post-821945

edit 5: it looks like the build might be older than the one we have, but i haven't confirmed this, need to set my monitor back up. but there are still a lot of things that can be added and removed in a month at a big game studio and will be amazing to check out

my bad for the over excitement

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    LuizNai, fafadou and Anthony817 like this.
  6. maxtherabbit

maxtherabbit Member

bruuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LuizNai and TerdFerguson like this.
  7. Anthony817

Anthony817 Resolute Member

Damn this is great to see alternate builds! I can't remember the date on the released build we have, my DC's are both kaput and out of service. Any new potential builds that are either older or newer than the one we currently have are great! Would be super amazing if it were the fabled katana build though...

LuizNai likes this.
  8. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

oh what a find. definetly dump it

Rixel and LuizNai like this.
  9. Ivan GR

Ivan GR Rising Member

Update. Man who found disc, agree make dump!
    Снимок2.PNG

LuizNai, Anthony817, Traace and 4 others like this.
  10. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

I hope he'll send it to japanese_cake or Adam Koralic.
    But he's wanting to sell it, what may happened then ?

Hope this version has a better opposing force and a multiplayer fonction ^^
    But for online playing the dreampi team must have the dump and work on it.

I'm remembering the "deer avenger" end... Please not this time.

LuizNai and Anthony817 like this.
  11. zouzzz

zouzzz Site Supporter 2013

A very interesting thing !
    I think japanese_cake can help you.

LuizNai likes this.
  12. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Hate to state the obvious but all it takes is a collector to make a crazy (ish) offer with the condition that he doesn't release any rips of it online - making it more valuable to the collector.

And it's gone.

If it wasn't so highly publicised like this then 'maybe' there was a chance, but I don't think so now. This is why there's no Heroes of Might & Magic 3 or Test Drive Cycles (tech demo) releases anywhere to be seen. Sold to a collector and then vanished... and this was probably over a decade ago now, possibly more. I believe there's also the unreleased Worms game (pinball?) that seemed to have suffered the exact same fate 4 or 5 years ago.

If the current owner doesn't give anymore updates and goes silent, you know what's happened. To be fair though, it's their right to do what they want with it - and many others would to exactly the same. (in fact, most people would probably do the same)

Of course, like everyone here, I'd love to be proven wrong - but it's just our comments vs a pile of cash. Our chances don't look good when you weigh up it like that.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    LuizNai likes this.
  13. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

I don't know there was a version of might & magic 3 somewhere...

I don't follow all the post on fb but hope you're wrong :
    "Sure, I don't mind doing that (I am the one that found the disc) - I am not in a rush to sell this, but eventually I do want to sell it as I am not a collector."

LuizNai likes this.
  14. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - sold on the forums here years (and years) ago, if you do a search here you'll dig up some info (although not much except that it had very slow loading times - and that's why it possibly never made it to release) Test Drive Cycles was sold here at least twice possibly DreamTR>Legit>Russian guy who used to upload isos on forums... either 'Basil' or 'Vasily' I can't remember which one) To be fair, TDC was really just a tech demo from what I recall, nothing more. Worms (something, pinball?) was sold here way back when, then someone posted on the forums here about 4-5 years ago that they'd found another copy and were willing to rip/share.... and then they disappeared, iirc. I have a feeling 'Take the Bullet' also went the same way on the old DreamcastHistory forums.

When money's involved it all gets very unpredictable, just have to cross our fingers. There are a lot of good souls over the years who have shared unreleased games/betas so it's not impossible - but 'Half Life' ? Even if it's identical to the rip that's available online, it's still worth something (between $500-1000 I would hazard a guess, on eBay) - although we should also be wary - someone was banned from this forum for making their own GDRoms with a Sega devkit and passing them off as originals, making multiple copies.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Anthony817 and LuizNai like this.
  15. japanese_cake

japanese_cake Spirited Member

Nice of him to let someone copy it!

I don't use facebook but if someone can contact that guy on my behalf saying that I will dump it and of course send it back, that would be awesome!

What are the other know build dates btw?

Anthony817, LuizNai, Traace and 4 others like this.
  16. Tomleecee

Tomleecee Spirited Member

I'll let him know mate

17. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

Thanks :) so I let you do, it's not necessary to send him many messages.

Happy to see you here, hope you're fine japanese_cake, I've heard you have not time for dc at the moment. But be sure we'll still follow your live journal regularly. All your works is amazing.

18. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

LuizNai, japanese_cake and Traace like this.
  19. japanese_cake

japanese_cake Spirited Member

I appreciate all your messages :)

It is right that it has been hard to make time for my dreamcast projects and to give a hand on others'. But work is quite time consuming right now (read since 1y or 2) The good point is that there are ongoing things happening "behind the scene" and they will for sure come to light one day or another.

Not here to hijack this post but working on the new bios is quite time consuming. The outcome will be something way more flexible to add features with a retail looking ui.

Anyway let's hope that half life build will have the multi player mode onboarded :)

Mrneo240, LuizNai, SiZiOUS and 6 others like this.
  20. SiZiOUS

SiZiOUS Spirited Member

As the only available Half-Life release is by Xanadu/MUDS and the fact that we don't have the corresponding GDI we only can make hypothesis on the build date from the files timestamps.

The HALFLIFE_DC.EXE file date (main file) is May 24, 2001 and matches the value of the TimeDateStamp member from the PE Image Header (value is 0x3B0C4435 so 990659637, which stands for the May 24, 2001) so the HALFLIFE_DC.EXE file is untouched and that date is reliable.

If the build date on the newly found GD-R is legit then indeed, that build is older (1 month) and may contains the famous multiplay mode! :D