gunvalkyrie(dreamcast)

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by accel99, Sep 27, 2008.

1. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

xbox :

P.s. Didnt know there was a limit on videos so I split the post into two.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  2. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Just played Gunvalkyrie for the first time earlier this week. It really does have a strong DC vibe to it. Many levels objects seem unusually low polygon and reminiscent of how similar objects were displayed on dreamcast. In fact, those initial valley levels, the textures and low poly spikes and even many of the enemies of these valley levels remind me strongly of the first and second levels in Gheist Force despite the latter not having any relation to smilebit - even the purple haze skybox/northern lights style sky looks similar.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  3. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Found a Japanese article talking about the PC presentation of Gunvalkyrie on pentium 4 cpu ussing sse2 instructions for better graphics?Had a few new shots I hadnt seen yet.This explains alot though.They were referring to the platforms as pc/dc so I guess the xbox version wasnt announced? Also that means past videos that we thought was dreamcast was actually the pc tech demo(the footage of her fighting the yellow insect in a room followed by the blue insect boss), then some xbox trailers spliced pc tech demo footage into the trailers which would explain why the scenes were not in the final game.Kinda like false advertising.

The link google translated : http://translate.google.com/transla...dbox=0&usg=ALkJrhjcbmF4Ejiqrp8jP_4z6DjDpTKSPQ

sega06big.jpg sega07big.jpg sega03big.jpg [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  4. IsometricMode

IsometricMode Rapidly Rising Member

Would have been really amazing. Trying to think of another game that used a gamepad and a lightgun for playing besides Dino Stalker (PS2) RE: Dead Aim (PS2).

5. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Thats mostly was everyone says but I remember some article( cant seem to find it, might be long gone) that it used the dpad on the light gun its self and the lightgun to aim. I really think it would be as intuitive as rubbing your stomach while patting your head.

6. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

I found more japanese articles that talk about the gunvalkyrie tech demo made by smilebit for intels pentium 4 pc.In one site(pc.watch.impress) it seemed to host a video of the tech demo at one point but no longer does.In another article it states the demo had close to 20 point lights.Maybe someone who knows japanese could find more?.

Japanese sources that mention gunvalkyrie at an intel event as a pentium 4 demo:
    http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/article/20001121/intel3.htm
    http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/318/318450/

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  7. IrishNinja

IrishNinja Rising Member

wow, never knew about the gun thing, but along with the wave of others that early xbox/GC/PS2 saw i kinda assume it at least started development (even conceptually) on the DC. still haven't played it, crazy to hear that it's Chakan-hard.

am i safe in assuming Monkey Ball, Billy Hatcher, Orta etc likewise started on DC?

8. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

9. IrishNinja

IrishNinja Rising Member

^wow, thanks for that! another mystery solved.

10. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

So... did anyone find any more info on this? To summarize this : Gunvalkyrie was announced for the dreamcast during ects 2000 where it was shown in trailer form(no one bothered recording it).After that it was shown in japan as a tech demo for pentium 4 machines around September 2000.This version retained the dreamcast aesthetics and gameplay but was graphically suped up. It seems the Pc tech demo was then shown as xbox footage during spring tgs 2001( they might not have the xbox version ready).The trailer that Yakumo had shown is not dreamcast footage but the xbox trailer from E3 2001 that had mashed up pieces from the pc tech demo(this would support my theory of the game not being ready to be fully shown).This is all the info we know so far, anyone have anything to add?

Dreamcast:
    [​IMG]

Pc tech demo(passed off as xbox footage later):
    [​IMG]

xbox final:
    [​IMG]