gunvalkyrie(dreamcast)

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by accel99, Sep 27, 2008.

1. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

I dont know,ive always been confused by this one.I read somewhere else that it wasnt in development for the dreamcast and was just listed for dc as a mistake.but theres a bunch of screenshots that list it was a cellshaded title for the dc.plus the the 2 videos that claim that the demo was running on the dc.i just always wondered was it really a dc game at one point?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCkSijkjmLA&feature=related

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

Gunvalkyrie was indeed being developed originally for the Dreamcast, but I'm not sure what - if anything - changed from this early version to the final Xbox release because I've never played it so I'll reserve making any further comments. However, what I can say is that Gunvalkyrie wasn't the only game carried over from the Dreamcast to Xbox. Jet Set Radio Future, The House Of The Dead III, Toe Jam & Earl 3 and (supposedly) even Panzer Dragoon Orta were all meant for Sega's doomed platform later in its lifespan, though I don't know much in the way of specific details. What is quite uncanny is just how many of these started off being designed with prominent cel-shading, only for the final versions to revert back to more realistic stylings. After the groundbreaking first JSR, was Sega on something of a cel-shaded rush? Fortunately they listened to concerned fans and turned back from this decision, leaving other rival companies to face accusations of jumping on a bandwagon that quickly became stale. Market over-saturation, anyone? Probably best that I don't take this too far off-topic, mind...

3. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

well it was a great game(very hard,its pretty up there with chakan for genesis).the xbox version wasnt cellshaded but way too metal shiny(the characters seems to be cell shaded in the selection menu odd enough)and the characters polycount didnt seem as low as the ones in the screen shot(they look about 2-3 times more polies).and i hear the dc used 1 controller and 1 light gun to control the character(as opposed to the xbox that used both joysticks to control the character).the stages in the final are open as opposed to tunnels like the video shows.other than i dun know more differences.

4. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

The DC version of Gunvalkyrie was never cell shaded as the above screen shots and promotion videos clearly show. Also, did you notice that the videos use music from Panzer Dragoon Azel

5. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

well yakumo,the first picture is cell shaded.you cant tell me thats a realistic render.looks very similar to the .hack gu cell shading(smooth grey as opposed to jet set radio harsh division of light and dark.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  6. Kron

Kron Gutsy Member

The first picture isn't cell shaded its just down to the rudamentary way they've done the lighting.

7. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Sorry but it looks nothing like cell shading. As Kron said it's normal textures and even looks like many other DC games. take a look at any Cell Shaded game and you'll notice that none look like the 1st picture in this thread.

Yakumo

8. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

Yeah, DEFINATELY not cel-shaded.

9. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Some early reports about the game said that it would use both gamepad and gun for playing.

10. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

Would have been cool to see. Probably would have been similar to playing certain wii games, only years before the wii.

11. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Having nothing better to do this midnight I decided to google up gunvalkyrie for the dc again.Found an interview about the game with Takayuki Kawagoe(I guess ex president of smilebit?).He said gunvalkyrie used wince on dreamcast so it was easy to convert it to the xbox.I would have thought they would use their sega katana tools(or what ever its called) over wince.Makes me wonder if this interview is authentic.Heres the interview
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=28307
    Updated with archived link as the original has been deleted.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  12. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

i played the xbox version for the first time today and everything from the menus, to the models, and textures, as well as the (lack of) camera control REALLY made me just go "God damn, this game feels like it was designed for the Dreamcast!"

13. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Yeah it has that pre-ps2 feeling to the game.To me the camera was never an issue seeing how its always behind you.The controls are a bit tough to master but once you do,your fingers become ninjas.Makes me wonder how the hell the controls would have worked on the dc with out it sucking.Quoted the interview to the part were he admits it was developed under windows ce for the dreamcast.I find pretty strange,I thought the direct x on the dc sucked?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  14. Juste

Juste Fiery Member

The Xbox version is one of my favourite Xbox games. ^_^

15. phate

phate Enthusiastic Member

I can't vouch for how much suck the CE SDK for the Dreamcast had, but I can guarantee that it helped immensely when they ported it to the Xbox.

Haven't played this one yet, but I think I might go pick it up, looks fun.

16. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Something I didnt add from a while ago.This from ign :

Link:http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/088/088870p1.html

An ign video showing a couple of seconds worth of gunvalkyrie stuff through out the entire video along with other dreamcast games,looks like it was up and running on dc hardware.One interesting thing to note is that it shows other unreleased games like black and white,sega world wide soccer 2001,half-life(i think),while showing other games ive never seen.maybe someone could tell me what game was the clip with the tentacles going up the building or the person with the flash light that suddenly spun around?I remember reading somewhere about sega world wide soccer 2001,something about the soccer players being 5,000 triangles and the field being 15,000 triangles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnZA6ukAx2w

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011
  17. Metro Spy

Metro Spy <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

An interesting video. In terms of clips I see in the following order:-

Metropolis Street Racer
    Shenmue (1)
    WWE Royal Rumble
    Sega Worldwide Soccer 2000
    1 - ????? - RPG Style game
    Black and White
    Sega Extreme Sports
    Headhunter
    Half Life (dark scene - very brief)
    KISS Psycho Circus (again brief)
    Silent Scope (Plane flying past)
    2 - ????? - Descent Style FPS/Flying
    Space Channel 5 logo
    --- Couple of clips repeat ---
    POD 2 (also known as POD:Speedzone in America)(Work in progress is written below)
    Gunvalkyrie
    --- Short quick clips ---
    UFC
    Star Wars Jedi Power Battles
    Jet Set Radio
    2 - ????? - Descent Style FPS/Flying - again
    Metropolis Street Racer - again
    Ready to Rumble
    Star Wars Jedi Power Battles
    3 - ????? - Unknown off road game
    F1 World Grand Prix
    Virtua Tennis (1?)
    Tony Hawk 1
    POD 2 (also known as POD:Speedzone in America)(Work in progress is written below)
    1 - ????? - RPG Style game - again
    Ready to Rumble - again
    Virtua Athlete 2K
    Gunvalkyrie
    Speed Devils
    Powerstone
    Space Channel 5
    Half Life (Blue Shift - see Barney arm)
    Virtua Tennis
    Silent Scope
    Jet Set Radio
    Speed Devils
    Jet Set Radio
    Gunvalkyrie
    Space Channel 5
    2 - ????? - Space game again
    Ready to Rumble
    Sega GT
    F1 World Grand Prix (or possibly Monaco Grand Prix)
    Samba De Amigo
    POD 2 *Tentacles - possibly POD 2 due to WIP sign
    4 - ????? - Character with torch (US = flashlight) swings round

Feel free to add/amend

18. PSPdemon

PSPdemon Peppy Member

Before Speed Devils is Phantasy Star Online ( v1 ) and looks like to be a early build considering theres no hud and only the internet time is being shown... also the level is first boss fight with the dragon....

If I see any others I'll add them as well...

19. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Thanks for the list.apparently its sega world wide soccer 2001,which never came out.it was reported in this event along with gunvalkyrie so i guess it isnt swws 2000.This is a screen for swws 2001.also i think the guy with the flash ligt is either alone in the dark or another unreleased called agartha,but most likely alone in the dark.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i found some chinese site that confirmed what ign said.They stated that in 2000 they were shocked to see gnu valkyrie up and running on an intel pentium 4 and were actually confused whether the game was going to be cross platform.Heres a rough translation by google
    heres a link to the orginal site:http://www.yesky.com/Gameall/73183493944770560/20001205/141851.shtml

and in some other articles they have very early shots of it on the xbox! ,early enough to still look extremely similar to the dreamcast version.as a matter of fact these are still shots too similar to the so called (both) beta footage on youtube of gunvalkyrie for the dreamcast.I guess at the time the trailers were made it still the dreamcast level design but it was already running on the xbox?That wuold the only existing footage of gunvalkyrie dc was in ects 2000 (but no one recorded because it flashed too fast on screen one report said on ign),so only quick bits of it are seen in the overall dreamcast ects trailer i found on ign.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011
  20. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Posting these gameplay trailers.They have been up before but the original seem to be down so iam just re-upping them .The first is the closest to the dreamcast version except its running on the xbox and the second is close to finish but shows stuff they didnt use in the finished version. Also linked the interview above to a version of the page from archive.org

Dreamcast:

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015