gscartsw: automatic 8:1 SCART-RGB switch

Discussion in 'The ASSEMblergames Marketplace' started by superg, Jul 6, 2014.

1. superg

superg Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015. Tape Drive Donor.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. airs

airs Spirited Member

I have two of these switches with 11 consoles attached - they are very high quality. Daisy chaining works perfectly. Great work superg, thanks!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  3. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Major bummer. I need a JP21pin lay out. Hmm, time to see how much jp21pin to Euro 21pin converter cables cost.

4. superg

At your place I would really consider just resolder these to SCART, it will look terrible with all these converters inplace.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  5. paulrgb

paulrgb Newly Registered

I like to buy one of your scart switches please, can you pm me the total price including shipping to the UK and payment details

Thanks

6. sparksterz

sparksterz Spirited Member

I will have to count my SCART connections when I get home! I think I actually have exactly 8! This would make my set up way easier...

7. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

When they're back I want one.

8. Kamon137

Kamon137 Rising Member

I'm with APE on this one--count me in for one of these as soon as it's available.

9. jake74

jake74 Rising Member

Put me down for one for sure. Ship to the UK.

10. e5frog

e5frog Newly Registered

Nice, when I looked into this a while ago (and bought scart connectors even for a 10:1 setup) I finally decided it was going to be too expensive and I bought a Shinybow 6:2 matrix switcher instead...

This looks really interesting, any chance for a reduction in price if I do all the soldering and screwing myself - buy it as a kit?

It's meant to stand on a surface, there are no "hang it on the wall" holes anywhere?
    Like so:
    [​IMG]

11. sazyario

sazyario Newly Registered

On Shmups I stated I want to be on the waiting list.

Would you do local pickup? We live within 30 minutes of each other. I live in Farmington, MI

12. superg

Hey,

Sure, no prob!
    I've put you to my list, once I will have it available I will let you know.

13. kuze

kuze Peppy Member

Those look pretty slick! I've heard that auto switchers tend to have issues with some systems. Is that the case with these? Most people tend to recommend manual switchers from what I've gathered.

14. superg

There shouldn't be any audible degradation. For audio signal I am using different multiplexers than for video. There is always a possibility of extremely low A/V degradation, but what's the point if nobody will see it or hear it?
    If by manual switch you mean mechanic switch with large 40+ and no logic, yes, theoretically it may be 0.(0)1 better, but again why would you care if you will not see the difference? If you care about those theoretic things you should be worried more about length of your SCART cables and interference of all of your devices close to your TV than about logic switch.

15. kuze

kuze Peppy Member

Right on, thanks for the info. Looks like an awesome product, makes me sort of wish I hadn't just purchased two 5 port switchers.

16. KRiSX85

KRiSX85 Member

I'm very interested in one or two of these, but I have some questions I'd like to run by you...

I'm looking at potentially running 15 devices through 2 of these daisy chained, I think I saw someone has already done this, so I'll assume that it won't be a problem. My question however is can I connect non-rgb scart devices to this? Like if I used a s-video to scart adapter and then went into this would it work? I haven't bought all the cables for my consoles yet but I've worked out I'll have 8 using rgb scart and the rest are a mix of s-video and component.

Next question is, I'll be hooking this up to an XRGB-mini, can you provide a cable that will go straight from the switcher to the mini or will I still need a converter? Like I said, haven't bought any cables yet, still in the planning stage but my XRGB is on its way so I need to start figuring out what I'm doing.

Appreciate any advice you may have :)

17. superg

Yes, airs and me tested this, it'll work just fine.

Theoretically it's possible to use RGBS SCART pins to forward any type of video signal. Practically it's a disaster because you'll need to supply some power on SCART pin 16 for detection, rewire S-Video to SCART adapter to send Chroma and Luma through any two of RGBS pins (stock S-Video to SCART will not work because from what I know stock S-Video is forwarded through different SCART pins) and what's worst is to get your custom signal back to S-Video (you'll still need to switch your TV/XRGB to S-Video mode). So I'd say it's unfeasible.
    Why do you need S-Video? For 3DO there is RGB modification available. RGBNES for NES. Atari 2600 probably the only one with composite only. There is also Philips CDi 450, it's rare and useless but I am working on RGB mod for it just for fun.

At some point of time I may provide output SCART to MiniDIN. I can't guarantee when it'll happen because I am still search for affordable supplier of MiniDIN cable assembly (and I will need to solder other end to SCART).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  18. KRiSX85

KRiSX85 Member

Because unfortunately I'm not handy/confident enough to do it myself and I don't know anyone locally (Sydney, Australia) that can do it for me... so I've got the N64, PC Engine, 3DO and NES running s-video (the NES is obviously composite or composite over SCART)... the systems on component are newer systems (xbox, ps2, wii and a neo geo cmvs)... on my current CRT setup I find s-video very good, that said I've never compared it to RGB... I'll make more of a final decision when I switch to the xrgb setup I guess...

I may still benefit from grabbing one of these (mainly due to taking 8 devices), are you making up a waiting list or anything?

Thanks for the reply!

19. superg

Yes, I have a waiting list, a lot of people already. I will add you.

20. uunek

uunek Member

Please add me to your waiting list - for one. Thank you.