Group buy: Universal Saturn modchips

Discussion in 'The ASSEMblergames Marketplace' started by APE, Mar 31, 2014.

1. hennahacker

hennahacker Member

Installed mine, it's working perfectly, not a single hitch.

2. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  3. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I can stand pressing A repeatedly, but I didn't know about self-destruction... I hope mine will survive long enough...

4. SGGG2

SGGG2 Active Member

Still waiting on mine, hope it's not lost in the mail :(

5. xraymind

xraymind Rapidly Rising Member

Ok, found my old stash of HK silver Saturn CDs. My newly modded Japanese model 2 64pin Saturn had no problem booting both silver CD and CD-R of Japanese games on it. Will still want to install a region free bios on it. But will also get an AR cart for other the functions. BTW, Play-Asia.com is still selling AR 4M Auto+ for around $22 plus shipping cost. That's way cheaper than $40 that the sellers on Amazon is charging.

6. joshm998

joshm998 Newly Registered

Hi, my mod chip isnt working in my model 1 sega saturn. I have tried reseating the ribbon cables, getting the power from the CD drive and the power supply, both 5v points on the mod chip and It will not work. I started finding all CDs as audio cds and then it stopped working again. Now all it does is display two orbs or one red orb in the BIOS and will not spin up the CD drive.

7. Druidic teacher

x

8. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Shipment batch #2 went out yesterday. International packages are delayed a few days as I need to actually stand in line to take care of them.

I'm with Druid II, it sounds like you've got it plugged in wrong. If you don't get the regular boot up sequence the chip isn't installed properl.y

9. joshm998

Hi
    I have all of the ribbion cables the right way and it still is doing it. It might be one of the ribbon cables or connectors is broken as it read everything as an audio CD and then stopped shortly after. But when I remove the chip the console works as usual.

10. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

The ribbons that came with the chip all looked perfect so I can't imagine that is it, it is possible the ribbon in your Saturn is iffy as I've seen that happen (works fine until you install it into a modchip). Do you have another Saturn to test it in?

11. joshm998

I just reseated all of the ribbon cables and now the console spins disks but it doesnt even say reading discs and just keeps spinning but when I take out the mod chip it reads normal games perfectly which is strange.

12. Druidic teacher

x

13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

When you are powering up the console, is the lid sensor shut? (I assume you are testing with the lid off).

The Saturn must be powered with the lid sensor closed, else the chip disables itself.

14. BRob183

BRob183 Newly Registered

I was linked here from the Saturngroup, I was wondering if it's still possible to get one of these?

15. BlueCrab

BlueCrab Member

Got mine in the mail today. Installed it. Seems to boot original discs fine, haven't tried yet with any sort of CD-R.

EDIT: Boots CD-Rs, so I guess all is good. :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  16. SGGG2

SGGG2 Active Member

Received mine today. I'm amazed that it actually works, I have a "Ain't it Cool" Japanese Saturn and I tried two other modchips with no luck. I soldered power underneath the power supply as I find it near impossible to properly solder directly onto the pin. APE sent me a second ribbon cable at my request, since the connectors are somewhat chewed up, but one of his cables has a big crease it in, and I suspect a ribbon break, since I couldn't get it to work with it installed. It displayed a tan square on the left, red orb on the right.

Thanks guys! Finally getting to play Burning Rangers after all these years!

17. gunderson

gunderson Active Member

Got the chip installed in my US 32 pin saturn and it's working flawlessly. Thanks to APE, bad_ad, and zero for bringing this chip to the masses!

18. fluxcore

fluxcore Spirited Member

Yep, late model 1 owner here and the mod chip works great! Big thanks to all involved!

19. Druidic teacher

x

20. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Our savior hath risen!

All outstanding modchip payments have had their respective modchips mailed out, this includes a few that few through the cracks recently (had a packaged returned to me for an unknown reason). I'll be out of town until Friday for what I'm hoping will be a job interview and I'll resume business then. I'll have limited internet access until Friday afternoon.