Greetings from Tokyo

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction Forum' started by Super Gangu John, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super Gangu John

Super Gangu John Member

Hey guys, registered to follow the gscartsw thread.

I'm John, Swede living in Tokyo. I run a small Japanese retro game/console/toy store, among things.

Nice to be here!

2. Tchoin

Tchoin Site Patron

UnrealNStuff likes this.
  3. UnrealNStuff

UnrealNStuff Robust Member

Welcome buddy-o pal!

4. Super Gangu John

Super Gangu John Member

Thanks! Only online, google my username without John in it. Got an Instagram with pics tho, recently a youtube channel as well.

My gratitude, goody-o-gentleman! ;)

Tchoin and UnrealNStuff like this.
  5. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

Welcome! I will probably never get an Instagram, but I must say, excellent photography. I especially love the pictures that capture the Super Famicom box art in front of the TV with the actual game playing. That is beautiful!
    Hope you find what interests you here.

UnrealNStuff likes this.
  6. UnrealNStuff

Do you think you could sell Jap OG-Xbox games at some point? I'd love to get Blinx the Time Sweeper 2 japanese.

7. Tchoin

Tchoin Site Patron

Superb pictures! Loved it, and the online store looks really neat, very clean design and nice items on sale. Congrats!

Also, quite interesting read in your website about the back story and that you co-founded Go! Go! Nihon, that must have been a fun ride!

UnrealNStuff likes this.
  8. Super Gangu John

Super Gangu John Member

Thanks! Those photos are a pain to take, so it makes me happy to hear when someone appreciates them!

At some point, yes. I'm still working on expanding the catalog with more SEGA and PC-Engine stuff first, but then I will most likely start to look at other systems like the OG Xbox (which is pretty sparse here to begin with).

Thank you! I do have a hard time converting visitors into buying though. What do you think about the prices? Are they fair or too high in your opinion? I'm also unsure if a lot of people seem to be nervous about importing from Japan unless it says Free Shipping, do you think I'm on to something or overthinking it?

Thanks for reading! It was very exciting at times, but extremely tough in times like when the earthquake hit for example. I gave it my all and last year I felt it was time to focus on something I was more passionate about, hence the game store.

UnrealNStuff likes this.
  9. Pikmin

Pikmin Fiery Member

I'm always on the lookout for reasonable prices on Super Famicom games. I still find egay to be the most affordable, usually look for the free shipping ones.

UnrealNStuff likes this.
  10. Super Gangu John

Super Gangu John Member

Do you mostly look for boxed games or loose cartridges as well? The ones with free shipping, are they shipping from Japan or do you mostly look for local sellers? Also, with the free shipping - usually how long do you expect it to take to arrive? Do they give you an alternative to pay more for faster shipping? Where do you live, by the way? The US?

UnrealNStuff likes this.
  11. UnrealNStuff

The prices are good imo, especially for boxed games.

12. Pikmin

Pikmin Fiery Member

Mostly loose, shipping from Japan to Australia usually around 10-15 days, economy international, not tracked.

UnrealNStuff likes this.
  13. Super Gangu John

Super Gangu John Member

Thanks for the info, I see. And if you compare to what you usually pay with the prices on my site, would you say that my prices seem fair or too high? In your opinion, of course.

UnrealNStuff likes this.
  14. Pikmin

Pikmin Fiery Member

EDIT: No worries, welcome to AG.
    The two sfc bundles look tempting. Single carts not so much. For example there's someone on ebay selling Front Mission for 8 AUD including postage. The postage you offer is tracked or just regular?
    I do love your website, very nice on the eyes

UnrealNStuff likes this.
  15. Tchoin

Tchoin Site Patron

I think the prices are fair, as @UnrealNStuff said, specially on boxed games. As for the Free Shipping, some people might get scared away but really for some items people should expect you can't offer free shipping and make a profit. I assume you do have some analytics set up on your site to help you understand your customers /visitors' behaviors.

From my perspective (having lived most of my life in Uruguay - South America) the biggest concern from buying from Japan can be: (1) item lost in the mail (usually due to cheap non-tracked/uninsured shipping), (2) trouble with the items when they get to local customs. Having said that though, I've always bought stuff from Japan, these things never really stopped me from buying as I always did my research/due diligence beforehand, but I know a lot of people who have not gone ahead with buying because of this.
    I've been living in Ireland the last couple of years and the only thing that would drive me away from purchasing an item from Japan at the moment is if I can find the same item within the EU (since it would save me the 22% import tax).

Have you also considered running a proxy service on the store? (i.e.: buying certain items on behalf of them from Yahoo! Auctions JP, etc., or helping source specific items) That seems to always attract people, but can end up being too much of a headache for you, if you do consider it you could offer it for certain niche items (i.e.: Famicom Titler?) or say a minimum spend of $xxx.

I can imagine! I must say I was impressed with the quality of communication/service with Go! Go! Nihon, a few years ago I was thinking on going over there for a full year and they really went above and beyond to answer all my questions, unfortunately life happened and I couldn't go, but I have since recommended it to everyone that has interest in studying over there.

UnrealNStuff likes this.
  16. Digmac

Digmac Removed for Not Reuploading Juiced Fast Enough

@Super Gangu John, I'm a large importer of Japanese video games and consoles. I've bought, sold, and repaired dozens of Japanese systems and I also know the market and I know the online market there in Japan and here locally in the United States. First off, I want to say welcome to ASSEMbler. New members who love import gaming is awesome.

I respect what you are trying to do, but at the same time you're also fitting in with any other large volume re-seller. Your prices are above what I would pay for things, with a few exceptions. I'm not sure UnrealNStuff or Tchoin know the market like I do, not bragging or anything, I'm just saying. I daily look up Yahoo Auction prices and smaller sites like Suruga-ya, also eBay prices. Your concept is nice, but over $30 for a Rockman Famicom cart after shipping is a cutthroat re-seller price, 6 month guarantee or not. Also repainting old Famicom consoles is a cop out and I feel it ruins any value it might have in the future as an original system. I know what I can get things for over in Japan and have it shipped over. I refurbish, clean, and repair all my Japanese import consoles myself. My entire collection focus is Japanese imports.

@Super Gangu John, if you need help knowing the US market for Japanese imports and having my experiences of having an all Japan import collection here in the United States, send me a PM, or I can send you one. I value all the consoles I have, and take care of each and every one.
    I still know that I can pull complete Hello Kitty Dreamcasts and the like from Japan for under $100. I just did that two months ago. Your concept is amazing, but it still needs work. Feel free to talk to me anytime if you need some knowledge from an importer and outsider to Japan.

17. Super Gangu John

Super Gangu John Member

All shipping options include tracking. By the way, I changed the cheapest shipping option to free today. Still including tracking.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write those points of concern. The EU import taxes are a big nail in the eye, which is why I would of course love to sell more towards the US, which doesn't have those kind of import taxes. Regarding proxy stores, a lot of people are doing it and while it sounds like something I could do in theory, I probably wouldn't enjoy it. But I do appreciate your suggestion!

Also thank you for the kind words on Go! Go! Nihon. I only consult for the company once a month these days, so I'm not involved in any of the daily stuff anymore, but it feels good to hear when someone appreciates something that you partly built.

I would humbly and very gratefully accept your advice. I will send you a PM.

Pikmin and Digmac like this.
  18. retro

retro Moderator Staff Member

Closing this thread, as it's turning dangerously into an advert.

You can't sell here until you've been a member 3 months and have 50 quality posts. This goes for advertising online stores, too. Please feel free to join in any discussions in the meantime, and you'll most likely have 50 posts by the time your 3 months is up. Make sure you read the rules, which are in the first forum.

Super Gangu John likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.