Gran Turismo 2000 [PAPX 90203] x5

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Darty, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Darty

Darty Gran Turismo pilot.

Hello,

I recently acquired some rare additions to my Gran Turismo collection from Japan. Starting with more GT2000's, which had me wondering...
    [​IMG]

Gran Turismo 2000 was a transitional build between Gran Turismo 2 (1999) on the PSX and Gran Turismo 3: A-spec being a flagship Sony title for the PS2 when released.

Polyphony Digital had used GT2000 as a demonstration to showcase a little of the PS2's graphic capabilities.

Originally unveiled at the Tokyo Game Show (1999),
    Updated by Polyphony Digital 5 Months later for Playstation Festival 2000 in Japan, and showcased at the Tokyo Game show (March 2000).

[PAPX 90203] is a Playstation Festival Japan (18th Feburary 2000) Tech Demo and was part of a 10 Disc demo bundle presumably distributed throughout the exclusive first day for Sony employees, invited press and business people? Or maybe it was for the two public days as-well?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The physics remain the same as Gran Turismo2, Gran Turismo 2000 is just a higher resolution build using GT2 data.

It's bare bones, and you can see the beginnings of GT3 with heat wave affects attached to Replay's and much improved lighting and glare affects.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gran Turismo 2000 is considered the most sought after Gran Turismo Disc, but is it actually the rarest?

I've read that only 50 copies were produced for Playstation Festival 2000, which seems possible..

I have seen 12 GT2000 copies come up for sale in Japan in the last 2 months. Perhaps there are more surviving Demo discs left from PSF 2000 than I imagined.

Is Gran Turismo 2000 still a "holy grail" for a GT collector?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    SILENT_Pavel likes this.
  2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

They were relatively common for a lot of years, way more than 50. People didnt notice as much though as it was still fairly easy to find them as a set, so you would see some or all of the Playstation Festival discs together

3. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Yeah. i still remember the one i bought... that got lost / stolen in the mail. =/

4. Tyree_Cooper

Tyree_Cooper Robust Member

Seems like misinfo that originated from someone or somewhere and then resonated to infinity, so now the number is said to be 50, but as you said, it looks as if it could be higher. Thanks for the info and pics!

Have you tried asking Polyphony or Sony? Their archived corporate page lists the number of copies for all retail games, all regions.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070206025009/http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

5. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Gutsy Member

i have PS2 game box with GT2000 cover (it for PS2 pr media show up ), it should less than 5 in world ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  6. Darty

Yep, that's extremely rare

7. SpaceQuakes

SpaceQuakes Member

While that isn't the holy grail of GT, the real holy grail is the tech demo shown off on E3 1999 made by Namco. It's basic the original GT but on PS2 hardware.
    But regardless, you should dump it.

8. Darty

Not sure if that is, like many 'iteration' Tech demo builds by Polyphony Digital, they have never surfaced to the public or were given to test outside of press events.

A better example might be the original 'Gran Turismo HD Concept' from E3 2006 onwards

[​IMG]

Gran Turismo HD was intended to be released onto the PS3 and rolled out with regular DLC updates in content much like GT Sport is today. Polyphony showed alot of playable content,

This should be the 'holy grail' Gran Turismo build. But sadly none of it exists to play,

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  9. Dracarys

Dracarys Rapidly Rising Member

That's the only PS festival 2000 disc I'm missing :(

10. RolandoBroom

RolandoBroom Member

11. ToyGTone

ToyGTone Newly Registered

As an owner of a Gran Turismo 2000 demo disc, it's more common than i thought to be at first. Not saying it's not rare at all but probably not the rarest GT item so far IMO.

12. Darty

Still one of my favourite games being a biker and into 2strokes,
    It is still the best bike simulator out there, not without it's faults.

Imagine Polyphony digital cut a Car in half length ways from Gran Turismo 4. That is pretty much what Tourist Trophy feels like.

However, features such a great bike list if your into 80s/90s JDM!

Still looks pretty good in NTSC-J 1080i mode.

@ToyGTone It's rare, but not 50 copies rare it looks like.

ToyGTone and RolandoBroom like this.
  13. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

It also has a feature that lets you take screenshots and save them to a USB flash drive. I don't know if GT4 has the same feature; I own it, but I haven't ever played it.

Like this:

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018