Good working N64 Emulators ?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by someguy1, Mar 22, 2016.

1. someguy1

someguy1 Site Supporter

Wondering, it's been awhile since I've used the N64 emulators last time was a couple years back with project64. It was really hit and miss some games glitching and missing sound, others would work completely fine. Computer emulating from is a Windows 7 64-bit Computer.

2. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I will say, avoid the newest PJ64. It's bundled with unwanted programs and is prone to crashing for no reason. At least that was my experience.

3. someguy1

someguy1 Site Supporter

That guy that makes those everdrives krikkz probably won't be sharing his secrets or building some kind of pc compatible extension although the door is open for development.

March 24 2016 - 12:04 PM Yeah some of those knock off everdrives are quite cheap, seen them go for under $20 on aliexpress for the genesis and snes versions. Though it would probably be very dodgy gameplay.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  4. darkspire17

darkspire17 None

crap tones of malware.
    id say stick with PJ64 1.6

5. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

N64 emulation is still hit and miss, and still involves messing about with plugins on a per rom basis. Seriously, Gamecube and PS2 emulation seems more advanced, for some strange reason.

I think it's currently much better to use a real N64 than to use the current emulators, even though you lose the advantages of emulation (snapshot save/loadng, higher resolutions, etc) that way. An N64 plus an Everdrive 64 can play any region N64 games (provided your TV can show the output), plus 64DD games, and Aleck64 arcade games, all from rom files running from an SD card, not the original cartridges or discs.

The good news is that two ongoing emulators, CEN64 and MESS, are cycle accurate emulators that will be 100% accurate and compatible when finished, though they'll need very poweful PCs to run at full speed.

The Everdrive 64 only simulates a cartridge with your chosen games on it, it doesn't simulate an N64 or anything, so there's nothing really that the Everdrive 64 does that would enhance or complete an N64 emulator.

6. chaoticdaos

chaoticdaos Considering imagining what cannot exist

Project64 1.6/1.7 or 1964 0.9.9
    Using Jabos 1.6.1 graphics plugin OR Gide64 Napalm public release OR Rices video plugin 6.1.1 Beta 10

emutalk.net has more answers.

7. stranno

stranno Enthusiastic Member

N64 emulation is still inaccurate. But the best HLE emulator is, by far, Mupen64Plus. 1964 have been discontinued for a long time and PJ64 is a garbage since PJ64 1.6, it have been improved in some areas but it is amazingly unstable.
    There are some fully working clones of krikzz devices. Like the ED64Plus (much much cheaper and works perfectly) with a custom krikzz firmware.

There are not secrets and nothing that can improve the N64 emulation. N64 flashcards have been around for a long long time.

8. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I never liked using N64 emulators, mostly because on a controller level it's impossible to emulate that weird ass control scheme. It's probably the only reason I have an N64 and have been dragging my ass about getting an Everdrive 64.

9. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

You can always use a USB adaptor to use a standard N64 controller on your PC. It actually works fine.

10. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

EH, the N64 is fun to collect for so it's not a huge loss.